Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Screw Nixon, you hear the shit Huey P. Long did? I almost wish he did not die and became president.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    It definitely seems clear now that all this noisemaking about the scandal ridden Clintons was just an effort by the Republicans to have something to "balance out" Watergate, whether that be the emails or Benghazi or Lewinsky or Whitewater or whatever. They can't seem to really get anything to stick though.
    Bill Clinton was extremely popular. It really was that simple. On policy, he not only finished Bush sr's projects, but was a major deregulator. I think he was the best conservative president sense before Nixon. The way he approached the Internet was down right libertarian. If some of the people in charge now were in power in 98, the world of information technology would look far more bleak.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Was just reading some articles over the internet and the question seemed interesting enough.

It seems like, at least for face value, he got steamrolled over far less in his time. We appear to tolerate quite a bit more now a days.
    Overall, he lied about something big (not just a blowjob) and was caught red handed (look up the Smoking Gun Tape in 1974). The tape demonstrated that Nixon has been told of the White House connection to the Watergate burglaries soon after they took place and that he has approved plans to thwart the investigation. Since Nixon had spent the prior 2 years denying any knowledge of the event or coverup.

So I wouldn't say it happened in far less time (a little over 2 years from Watergate to when he resigned). While many people questioned what was going on, you had the same thing then that you have now (some defending him regardless of evidence and some convicting him before all information was known)...heck, you'll find many people that will defend him even today.

As far as comparing to the current candidates, keep in mind that there is a confusing mix of facts and rumors. Despite all the brouhaha from the RWNJs, there is not convincing evidence of anything big against Clinton regarding Benghazi, and the e-mails don't have nearly the substance that they claim. And while Trump exhibits a personality that few would actually tolerate in their homes, most of his problems are rather typical for a below-average performing business man who is more bluster than substance. Neither candidate has actually been caught in a scandal at a Nixon level despite the trend to label everything as *-gate.

My biggest problem with the current era is that supposed scandals that take center stage prevent a real discussion about the real merits of the candidates. Obama isn't a great president...but he is a US citizen and a Christian. It would be nice to take about how our drones are being used instead of the latest stupidity about the non-existent issues of birth certificates, Benghazi coverups, and some imaginary social faux pas.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Bill Clinton was extremely popular. It really was that simple. On policy, he not only finished Bush sr's projects, but was a major deregulator. I think he was the best conservative president sense before Nixon. The way he approached the Internet was down right libertarian. If some of the people in charge now were in power in 98, the world of information technology would look far more bleak.
    It is even more ironic since if Nixon were around today he'd almost certainly be accused of being a RINO. Then again, who knows if the GOP would have devolved into its sorry state today with Nixon pulling all the strings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    I'm not sure where I posted anything debating that Richard Nixon was anything than what he really was. A dirty ass politician.
    My reply was more towards those in the thread like Gheld, who seem to think that turning reality upside-down is going to work. It will not.

Like Wildtree, I too am old enough to have lived through the Nixon years. I saw the whole thing unfold live every day on the TV, newspapers, and in public conversations. It was at a time when the media was much less bought off by giant corporate interests, and they actually did their jobs to expose public servants for their deeds and hold them accountable, instead of being gov't propagandists and corporate shills as they are today.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    It is even more ironic since if Nixon were around today he'd almost certainly be accused of being a RINO. Then again, who knows if the GOP would have devolved into its sorry state today with Nixon pulling all the strings.
    EPA... He would be a left wing nut case...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    The reality is you're talking out of your ass in a pathetic attempt to liken current politicians to Nixon and Watergate. Show me your proof and then we can talk. Until then, you're just believing whatever best fits your narrative out of convenience, not just belief.
    Well if a member of the Department of Homeland Security saying that Obama's administration deliberately destroyed intelligence that could've possibly prevented Omar Mateen from committing his shooting isn't enough to at least raise an eye brow, you and me probably won't agree on much. Part of the problem with government corruption is that the members of the government aren't likely to admit to it, so proof admittedly will be hard to come by, you kind of have to put the dots together yourself.

I really don't get it either. He was an environmentalist and abolished the draft in 1973.

"Tricky Dick" my ass.

7+ Year Old Account
    Sadly it's clear that none of you actually remember what truly happened in the 1960's, how President Nixon, Canton, Melody, Amy, Rory and the Doctor worked together for the cause of freedom and instigated the subsequent war that Humanity unknowingly waged and won against it's oppressors.

President Nixon was pivotal in freeing the world from the tyranny of the Silence.

Richard Nixon

Deleted
    Guess because he was Republican?

1. Do you know what standard procedure is for that type of thing? I certainly do not. Probably not destroying it, but without knowing for sure, I'm not going to rush to the conclusion that it was handled unusually.

2. That has nothing to do with covering the tracks of his own misdeeds or those of his staff, so it's really far removed from what's being discussed here anyway.
    That case we are discussing is not 100% the same thing as what Richard Nixon did, I do not disagree, but I do think it's still a cause for big concern if valid. Likewise with Hillary's e-mail scandal, which I have not been a big fan of, but seriously, I mean do you really feel she's been honest here? She deleted her e-mails and her husband met with the Attorney General a few days ago, despite the two having no reason to meet lol. Do you really not see why this stuff would be considered extremely suspicious?

10+ Year Old Account
    Nixon is the most 50/50 president to ever exist, and maybe the most flawed.

He did a lot of horrible things, Cambodia, Laos, etc (he was involved in some shady shit in the M.E especially with Assad's father). But he was smart in how he broke away from the retarded idea of "Monolithic Communism" by doing something amazing with China*(see my extra thought below) He was using his office to cover up some crimes, but he was also in favor of universal health care to some degree (oddly enough stopped by Ted Kennedy, who later regretted it) and made the EPA.

Overall I consider him the last republican president. He was the last one before all the insane religiously took over. (dont hate me mods)

I also consider him a good president overall, but I also consider him shady as fuck.

As for China. Nixon flew to China himself and within a minute met with their leaders. The same leader who's closest ally chose not to meet with for weeks when he went to visit.
    Last edited by GennGreymane; 2016-07-02 at 07:17 PM.

I'd like to direct your attention back to the part where you said it was literally the same as what I had said and when I said it definitely wasn't, you seemed perplexed as to why I would say that. Now, several posts later, you are in fact agreeing it's not literally the same.
    I was referring to the Omar Mateen scandal when I said "that's not the same thing", with the Hillary Clinton scandal... she did try to erase her tracks by deleting her e-mails. So in that sense, there are very big similarities in the corruption between her and what Nixon did.

Hillary's emails are whatever. Slap her on the wrist and move on, unless you have some sort of proof of malicious intent as opposed to mere impropriety. I don't feel like writing six paragraphs on how fucking insanely people handle presidents, but suffice it to say the Republicans are making things worse for the populace by scandalizing every single thing Hillary does.
    Again you keep asking for proof when it's silly - I don't have access to all of her deleted e-mails lol. Many members of the government have cried foul play, some even describing it as criminal:

http://dailycaller.com/2016/06/14/fb...on-judge-says/

Now you may not like republicans and feel they are just attacking her because of this election, but don't let that cloud your judgement in realizing that there is a lot of credible testimony that Hillary has been dishonest on an issue that you may feel is trivial, but that still has very strict penalties.

7+ Year Old Account
    So why did Richard Nixon get it so bad?
    Simple question, simple answer : Because what he did was so bad.

You're welcome.

Was just reading some articles over the internet and the question seemed interesting enough.

It seems like, at least for face value, he got steamrolled over far less in his time. We appear to tolerate quite a bit more now a days.
    Compared to Hillary (Email-Gate)....Lois Lerner (IRS-Gate) and the myriad of other scandals of this administration... Nixon was a rookie.

I do believe the American people would tolerate much more.... there is a passive demeanor to many Americans.
    Last edited by Dolus; 2016-07-02 at 07:32 PM.
    "Plato is dear to me, but dearer still is truth." - Aristotle

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Nixon wasn't a crook. He really wasn't. And he was a liberal.

The mainstream dialogue about him is full of it.

He even resigned voluntarily when he realized his misstep.
    He resigned because Congress was going to impeach him. And for very good reason. He lied about what he knew and when he knew it. His own tapes showed that. It's never the crime that bring politicians down it's always the cover-up. And thats why he resigned. He got caught in the cover-up. Oh and I lived in Arlington during the whole thing.

Oh while he did things that we would say were liberal in nature, liberals don't use the Southern Strategy to get elected.
    What are we gonna do now? Taking off his turban, they said, is this man a Jew?
    'Cause they're working for the clampdown
    They put up a poster saying we earn more than you!
    When we're working for the clampdown
    We will teach our twisted speech To the young believers
    We will train our blue-eyed men To be young believers

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bethanie View Post
    Sadly it's clear that none of you actually remember what truly happened in the 1960's, how President Nixon, Canton, Melody, Amy, Rory and the Doctor worked together for the cause of freedom and instigated the subsequent war that Humanity unknowingly waged and won against it's oppressors.

President Nixon was pivotal in freeing the world from the tyranny of the Silence.

Richard Nixon
    I did not enjoy that season at all.

Presidents back then had more class, unlike the jokes we have today and are about to vote in

Quote Originally Posted by Dolus View Post
    Compared to Hillary (Email-Gate)....Lois Lerner (IRS-Gate) and the myriad of other scandals of this administration... Nixon was a rookie.

I do believe the American people would tolerate much more.... there is a passive demeanor to many Americans.
    I'm not going to comment towards Hillary as that is just a can of worms, but add Eric Holder to the list along with Lerner...

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    *Giggles* I remember my parents complaining about Nixon's Guaranteed Income Act. Which was essentially pavement for today's topics on Basic Income.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!