Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Okay, well, Protesting, by itself, is not a democratic value.
    the democratic action, is to make yourself heard by voting.

protesting is just the ability to express your opinions.
    and, in this particular case, those opinions are against what what happened in a democratic procedure.
    hence, it's anti-democratic.

and like you said, most protest also want to make a change
    but let's say there's a vegan protest, they want to change laws regarding animals.
    i wouldn't say that's an anti-democratic protest.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Why do people keep bringing this unfunny man up, nobody in Britain knows him

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Even though there are provisions that say you can because of that very reason?

Its undemocratic to say you shouldnt protest the decisions of the government.

See, democracy counts as a holy cow: all and everything decided by democracy is pink and fluffy unicorns and how dare you to voice an opinion againt it ? Minority is expected to rejoyce about the wise and august decision made by majority.

Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    See, democracy counts as a holy cow: all and everything decided by democracy is pink and fluffy unicorns and how dare you to voice an opinion againt it ? Minority is expected to rejoyce about the wise and august decision made by majority.
    Not at all.
    in my country, i'm very unhappy with the elected government.
    but they were elected, and when i voted, i knew that what i want, is very unlikely to happen.

and democracy is probably not the the best thing ever, and has many faults.
    but right now we don't have a better alternate, so i think it's the best we can do.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Too many people get their news and commentary from comedians basically.

The point is not what you know, the point is what Americans know, which is a large chunk of the people discussing here (while they are on break worshiping their Trump effigy).

Besides that it's kinda funny how people here tout how awful it is that one side is not okay with a decision that runs contrary to what they wanted, especially when the split was close to 50/50. That is the very reason why sensible votes require absolute majority, like 2/3 or at least a weighted one. This is not some shitty election which repeats in 4-5 years, this one is for keeps. Besides the obvious fallacy people who complain also happen to be the ones that didn't participate (usual WoW and Blizzard fanboi argument, so I'm not really surprised) if the positions were reversed we'd see the same, so your high horse is not as high as you might think.

That being said: Just finally invoke Article 50, the world is no longer amused with your stalling. :P (we will take in cute British refugees though)
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2016-07-02 at 09:02 PM.

Deleted
    As somebody who voted Stay, I don't see the point in protesting now. It won't change anything. I respect the fact some people are upset enough to cry out in protest but really, there isn't anything we can do at this point aside from stirring up even more trouble.

We really need to just come to terms with the shit sandwich we just ordered for ourselves by leaving the EU, and make the most of Brexit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    The point is not what you know, the point is what Americans know, which is a large chunk of the people discussing here (while they are on break worshiping their Trump effigy).
    So a failed British comedian is Americas only insight into British affairs? A man who likely hasn't lived here in years

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    Fairly ironic that the demographic of this protest looks very much like the demographic that turned up to vote the least.
    yep & then they have the nerve to protest when they dont like the result.

So a failed British comedian is Americas only insight into British affairs? A man who likely hasn't lived here in years
    I am fortunate enough to be able to watch the news in many languages, trust me when I say the comedians give you more relevant news in America than the actual news does.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayndorn View Post

We really need to just come to terms with the shit sandwich we just ordered for ourselves by leaving the EU, and make the most of Brexit.
    Isnt it tempting NOT to eat that sandwich ? Perhaps nobody wants the sandwich at all ? Hmm ? Just forget you ordered it ?

It's fairly common that comedians are the ones to bring up issues, that happened like 2k years ago already and despite professional news formats it still happens today. It's just a more entertaining format than linking a dry neutral news report. A proper news report does not inject opinion and linking to social justice actions news or the proud patriotic defender news network isn't in most peoples interest either. As long as it's not factually incorrect I don't see the issue. So your complaint is just superficial, because you don't like the message.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    Isnt it tempting NOT to eat that sandwich ? Perhaps nobody wants the sandwich at all ? Hmm ? Just forget you ordered it ?
    Of course it's tempting to avoid this travesty. I would if I could, but it isn't up to me. I won't pretend to like that Brexit won at all, but we have to make do with what's been decided.

And I am glad you are ok with people protesting.

However, protesting is not just about "I AM UNHAPPY" protesting is usually in opposition to something people want changed.

For example, people protest Obamacare with the goal to get rid of it, but it was created and voted on by a government of elected officials in a democratic fashion.
    The difference here is not that they are protesting the decision of a political entity but the decision of over half of the populace. They are trying to annul the results of the referendum by protesting that regardless of the result we should stay in the EU.

This is brought on by the belief that their opinions are worth more than the other side's, which is not very democratic at all.

15+ Year Old Account
    Didn't know it was that close. I feel any vote that is so close to a tie should be considered a tie and they stay as is until another vote in X years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daljo View Post
    The difference here is not that they are protesting the decision of a political entity but the decision of over half of the populace. They are trying to annul the results of the referendum by protesting that regardless of the result we should stay in the EU.

This is brought on by the belief that their opinions are worth more than the other side's, which is not very democratic at all.
    Except thats basically what any protest is. Protesting is also a protected and essential part to democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Notter View Post
    i think you're missing our point.

it seems like their goal is to create a scenario where the decision, which was decided by a democratic method, be reversed.
    These two sentences. Baha.

That's a lot of fear mongering liberals.
    "I have friends, many friends. I have friends in China, India, Russia." "I will make deals, lots of deals. I'm good at making deals. Deals, deals, deals."

I guess protesting and making sexy selfies is cooler than voting after all.

Little sympathy here, sorry.

Except thats basically what any protest is. Protesting is also a protected and essential part to democracy.
    Sure then. They are free to object and protest but it amounts to nothing and should not be surprising when it changes no minds, especially of anyone in a position to do anything about it.