Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dr2022 View Post
    As an outsider, and from what I understand, Privilege is something that's not as simple as "I'm white, therefore my life is easy." it more of a set up caused by a ripple from history. It is no secret that Blacks, and other races, were heavily discriminated against and segregated. Back then, opportunities for whites are more abundant than blacks. Thus, ensuring a bright future for their children, and their grandchildren. Discrimination in the old days, set up many families, directly or indirectly, for success.
    More honesty has been the reason for more success in white countries and im not saying perfect honesty im just saying enough of it to build an economy without crippling amounts of theft, bribery and corruption that leads to apathy and hopelessness.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xekus View Post
    It always bugs me that she got shit for that, I have seen good studies about gender, and some okay ones on race, and in any case, if true, what is the issue?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I didn't even specify skin color.
    no but this is a thread about race.
    Its the logical avenue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    It always bugs me that she got shit for that, I have seen good studies about gender, and some okay ones on race, and in any case, if true, what is the issue?
    Because that comment is extremely shortsighted. There's nothing wrong with stating a fact, but knowing her, she's suggesting action be taken.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Because that comment is extremely shortsighted. There's nothing wrong with stating a fact, but knowing her, she's suggesting action be taken.
    well i think the race thing is probably best left behind, but the I'm actually in favour of segregating kids based on gender in k-9 education.

Do they teach black kids about affirmative action? How about that kids perceive them as more socially competent (or more masculine in general)?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    well i think the race thing is probably best left behind, but the I'm actually in favour of segregating kids based on gender in k-9 education.
    Out of curiosity, why? There's a lot of overlap between genders in terms of behavior.

Deleted
    I am absolutely fucking boggled by that article.... Segregating "KOC" kids???

I remember in school having a set of classes that that aimed to teach about discrimination. However, what the teachers did for its purposes was to split the group up on arbitrary stuff: eye colour or, as we had a couple of uniform options, those who were wearing the sweatshirt rather than the jumper and tie. They then proceeded to have different treatment for each group including getting out 5 minutes early. The race,gender,sexuality,religion stuff was thrown on right at the end with everyone mostly left to make the inference themselves: "discrimination is shitty, don't be a dick."

If I had the time, and balls, I would knock up some handouts along the lines of the material in the article and put them in our kids' school bags for my missus to find and record her reaction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    That's how the fuck we got to this point! By focusing on skin color! Did you fall asleep when it suddenly became racist to not win awards? Where having a certain amount of white people or men working somewhere is discriminatory, but magically, not the reverse?

And you still loved at people saying there was no discrimination. Something not said here.
    I am aware of these things. That doesn't change the fact that if you are black today, then, all other things equal, you will have a harder time succeeding in life, due to societal biases. Just because of a few awards that caused the uproar, you don't suddenly get a different society with all old prejudices gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by dr2022 View Post
    As an outsider, and from what I understand, Privilege is something that's not as simple as "I'm white, therefore my life is easy." it more of a set up caused by a ripple from history. It is no secret that Blacks, and other races, were heavily discriminated against and segregated. Back then, opportunities for whites are more abundant than blacks. Thus, ensuring a bright future for their children, and their grandchildren. Discrimination in the old days, set up many families, directly or indirectly, for success.
    Past life of your ancestors doesn't make you unable to achieve success yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Do they teach black kids about affirmative action? How about that kids perceive them as more socially competent (or more masculine in general)?
    most con men are considered more socially competent and im sure murderers in jail are considered more masculine in general.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    I am aware of these things. That doesn't change the fact that if you are black today, then, all other things equal, you will have a harder time succeeding in life, due to societal biases. Just because of a few awards that caused the uproar, you don't suddenly get a different society with all old prejudices gone.
    Thank you for deciding how hard my life is for me.

It really depends which part of society. A very liberal one will praise you, and given a white kid all things being equal the black one will be preferred.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by khazmodan View Post
    most con men are considered more socially competent and im sure murderers in jail are considered more masculine in general.
    Which gets to my point - if you avoid both those traps you are incredibly advantaged compared to the more average guy

10+ Year Old Account
    Assuming this is true for all members of the ethnic group for the moment, the same can be said for short people, fat people (genetically predisposed), ugly people, etc.

We don't have government policies in place to lift these groups, as far as I'm aware.

As Nixx suggested, I think everyone should be encouraged to judge others by their merit and not their physical characteristics (unless physical characteristics translate into merit, though this is more rare). But when it comes to ethnic groups (and other groups too if we had the policies in place), it seems like applying policies of generalization simply validates generalizations - both positive and negative, no? And encourages the ethnic group in question to identify by their ethnicity instead of their merit?

10+ Year Old Account
    It really depends which part of society. A very liberal one will praise you, and given a white kid all things being equal the black one will be preferred.
    No, sorry, but it has nothing to do with liberalism. And people who do that do not form a significant percentage of people anyway.

Assuming this is true for all members of the ethnic group for the moment, the same can be said for short people, fat people (genetically predisposed), ugly people, etc.

We don't have government policies in place to lift these groups, as far as I'm aware.

As Nixx suggested, I think everyone should be encouraged to judge others by their merit and not their physical characteristics (unless physical characteristics translate into merit, though this is more rare). But when it comes to ethnic groups (and other groups too if we had the policies in place), it seems like applying policies of generalization simply validates generalizations - both positive and negative, no? And encourages the ethnic group in question to identify by their ethnicity instead of their merit?
    Well, there is a difference between things that are result of your actions in life, and things that are your inherent properties which you can't naturally change. I don't think people should be judged at all for the latter, and for the former, while judgment kind of makes sense, outright discrimination is still not something I want to see happening.

And I totally agree, policies of generalization will lead nowhere. The society itself should change towards acceptance of everyone, and not the policies trying to "counter" societal biases by compensating the discriminated groups with something others do not have.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

One area I'd love to see more research into is how the psychology of colour (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_psychology) plays into this. Of course race in society goes beyond this, but it might give us some insight into the basic attributions made subconsciously that are isolated from social constructs.

So why do only classes on white privilege happen? Why aren't other races taught about their privilege?
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

White women benefit the most from affirmative action last I checked and that's fucked up.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Post View Post
    So why do only classes on white privilege happen? Why aren't other races taught about their privilege?
    How about we focus on the fact wealth means a lot more than race.
    Last edited by Varvara Spiros Gelashvili; 2016-07-03 at 03:18 AM.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

Deleted
    Out of curiosity, why? There's a lot of overlap between genders in terms of behavior.
    because when taught together boys get told to behave like girls.

Quote Originally Posted by foofoocuddlypoopz View Post
    How about we focus on the fact wealth means a lot more the race in general.
    I would say it's all that matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

This thread is the latest example of the internet giving mental illness a voice.