Page 91 of 107 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kainslife View Post
    What about ST for bosses? Our group is already capable of some pretty heavy AE and I want to make sure that the WW single target is going to be sufficient.
    There's no way to know it until final tuning is in place....

We can only speculate, but those are the two important factors imo -

1. Dungeon bosses tend to be short, which is very favorable for WW(because of ToD and its relative impact compared to fight duration). However dungeon bosses might not be that short some levels into mythic, who knows...

2. Lack of other meaningful cds. Considering the preferred use of our other cd(sef) is in aoe situations, as it is FAR more powerful in them, I wouldn't assume you are going to want to use it in st boss encounters, so we are basically looking at basic rotation after ToD.

In short, your question depends on the final tuning of the spec more than anything, bur as many have said here before, it is very unlikely that WW will be a top notch ST spec for normal-length encounters.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Babylonius View Post
    I don't know of any class that has DPS options in their talent tree, where one talent isn't better for a scenario than others. To reduce the teirs to "best DPS option" or "little impact" is not a situation unique to WW, its just how the game is played. You seem to have a very specific view of what a talent should do, but to do that over 21 talents just isn't possible, and I'm not sure how many specs have talents that all fit what you think a talent should look like; I think the answer is 0 specs.

Windwalker, right now, has more rotational abilities than just about any other class; and that's without adding at least 4 more talents that are all more buttons to press. Having passive options make it easier for the vast majority of players, and having those passives be nearly as good as the actives mean that those players CAN vary their playstyles.

Right now, the only issue (and its a small one) is that Chi Orbit is doing a little too much damage compared to the more active talents of WDP and Serenity. However, having one of the 4 DPS talent tiers be a passive is quite nice to not have 10 different buttons to work into the rotation.
    God I hope Serenity stays shit... most boring thing in the talents and its part of the reason monks were so "spammy"

Quote Originally Posted by Damaind View Post
    God I hope Serenity stays shit... most boring thing in the talents and its part of the reason monks were so "spammy"
    Only that now it works completely differently, you don't want to spam the same button during serenity at all...

The new problem with serenity is that it is absolute and total garbage compared to sef: 2/3 the duration, lower dmg buff(when you get the sef trait), no charges, and apart from opener where you have everything off-cooldown, also not very powerful at all... it is so bad to such an extent that even without choosing wdp or chi orbit instead, it is very likely that you should opt for sef and not serenity in most realistic situations.

Has anyone else noticed Power Strikes refreshing more often than 15 sec? Often at the start of fights I have it refresh after only 3 secs or so. And it's almost always less than 15 secs (even considering haste). Is there maybe some hidden way of resetting it? Or a hidden charge system?

Deleted
    Not sure if this is new but I haven't seen it b4, TP/BoK/RSK now gives a debuff to the target called; "Mark of the Crane" that shows duration untill u need to refresh for SCK buff. It doesn't show up on their nameplates yet unfortunately, which is where u really need to see it, but atleast it will be there.

Quote Originally Posted by chuqtaylor View Post
    Not sure if this is new but I haven't seen it b4, TP/BoK/RSK now gives a debuff to the target called; "Mark of the Crane" that shows duration untill u need to refresh for SCK buff. It doesn't show up on their nameplates yet unfortunately, which is where u really need to see it, but atleast it will be there.
    If you're really dying to get it on nameplates you can use this macro. Only run it once though since it's a little hacky.
    Code:
    /run local gn=UnitAura;local function fn(...)local a={gn(...)};a[15]=a[11]==228287 or a[15] return unpack(a)end UnitAura=fn

And sort of unrelated but a nice quality of life thing, if you want to increase the size of combo points on the new resource overlay just use this:
    Code:
    /run ClassNameplateBarWindwalkerMonkFrame:SetScale(1.2)
    The default scaling is 0.75 and this sets it to 1.2 or whatever you want it to be.
    Last edited by whatisxml; 2016-07-03 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by whatisxml View Post
    Has anyone else noticed Power Strikes refreshing more often than 15 sec? Often at the start of fights I have it refresh after only 3 secs or so. And it's almost always less than 15 secs (even considering haste). Is there maybe some hidden way of resetting it? Or a hidden charge system?
    I didn't test that in legion because it's an obviously inferior talent compared to eb/asc, but how it used to work, and I don't recall hearing about a change to that -

1 charge of powerstrikes is generated every 15 seconds, but the maximum charge is 1. So basically the cooldown towards the next ps starts counting as soon as you gain the ps buff and not as soon as you spend it, this is why you could sometimes see two charges almost back to back, you were simply using your ps shortly before the next "beat" of ps generation.

So which is the consensus best way to build your artifact? Clockwise or Anti-clock?

I originally thought Anti-clock because Gale Burst, RSK and FoF damage come earlier.. instead of Crosswinds, 6% more BK procs and 15% Tiger Palm damage. However, Transfer the Power, which is obtainable 4 points earlier(5 if you get Tornado Kicks first) if you go clockwise, seems really strong and I'm really not sure of the difference between Crosswinds and Gale Burst, at least in starter level gear and especially doing early expansion stuff i.e not raid bosses.

I haven't had Beta access for long enough to know roughly how long it takes to pick up the other major nodes after the first one, but after the 6.4k then 8.8k ramp-ups I'm guessing a bit of time.

If you're really dying to get it on nameplates you can use this macro. Only run it once though since it's a little hacky.
    Code:
    /run local gn=UnitAura;local function fn(...)local a={gn(...)};a[15]=a[11]==228287 or a[15] return unpack(a)end UnitAura=fn

And sort of unrelated but a nice quality of life thing, if you want to increase the size of combo points on the new resource overlay just use this:
    Code:
    /run ClassNameplateBarWindwalkerMonkFrame:SetScale(1.2)
    The default scaling is 0.75 and this sets it to 1.2 or whatever you want it to be.
    Thanks for this! Would you happen to know of any way to get the Mastery to show up as a buff or debuff? I use TellMeWhen on live to help predict the next ability to press in some scenarios and it would be really great if I could account for the Mastery in my conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Qck View Post
    So which is the consensus best way to build your artifact? Clockwise or Anti-clock?

I originally thought Anti-clock because Gale Burst, RSK and FoF damage come earlier.. instead of Crosswinds, 6% more BK procs and 15% Tiger Palm damage. However, Transfer the Power, which is obtainable 4 points earlier(5 if you get Tornado Kicks first) if you go clockwise, seems really strong and I'm really not sure of the difference between Crosswinds and Gale Burst, at least in starter level gear and especially doing early expansion stuff i.e not raid bosses.

I haven't had Beta access for long enough to know roughly how long it takes to pick up the other major nodes after the first one, but after the 6.4k then 8.8k ramp-ups I'm guessing a bit of time.
    Definitely want to go clockwise. Crosswinds and Transfer the Power are huge and you'll want Inner Peace before Gale Burst anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    If someone told me how to play I'd show them a simulation dps graph made out of dick pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeboots View Post
    Thanks for this! Would you happen to know of any way to get the Mastery to show up as a buff or debuff? I use TellMeWhen on live to help predict the next ability to press in some scenarios and it would be really great if I could account for the Mastery in my conditions.
    Do you mean Hit Combo? If so yeah you can show that. If you mean the actual hidden last-ability-pressed mastery, I don't think you can display that the same way.

At any rate here's a macro that you can customize a bit what to show. Add Spell IDs to the d={...} (d for debuff) if you want them to display on enemy nameplates and add Spell IDs to the b={...} (b for buff) to display them on your own nameplate. Just as an example, here for debuffs I have Mark of the Crane and Disable. And for buffs I have Hit Combo and Eye of the Tiger.
    Code:
    /run local d={228287,116095}local b={196741,196608} local u=UnitAura local function f(...)local a={u(...)}a[15]=tContains(d,a[11])or a[15]a[10]=tContains(b,a[11])or a[10]return unpack(a)end UnitAura=f

The macro's starting to get a little long though and might be better suited to a small addon.

Do you mean Hit Combo? If so yeah you can show that. If you mean the actual hidden last-ability-pressed mastery, I don't think you can display that the same way.
    Yeah that's precisely what I was hoping to display since the add-on I used can create conditions based on the presence of a buff or debuff. But thank you for the macro. I'll play around with it for sure!

Herald of the Titans Babylonius's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Qck View Post

I included this into page Legion FAQs | Walking the Wind
    http://www.walkingthewind.com/legion/faq/

There's also a full post on artifacts.
    Creator of WalkingTheWind.com and PeakOfSerenity.com
    Former Monk Mod of MMOChampion | Admin/Moderator of Monk Discord
    Armory | Logs | Guild | Twitch

so for now do we know what the bis trinkets will be for the pre patch ?

Herald of the Titans Babylonius's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by leaprah View Post
    so for now do we know what the bis trinkets will be for the pre patch ?
    Still SDI, and currently possibly Ansu's the tank trinket since it gives a ton of mastery.
    Creator of WalkingTheWind.com and PeakOfSerenity.com
    Former Monk Mod of MMOChampion | Admin/Moderator of Monk Discord
    Armory | Logs | Guild | Twitch

Quote Originally Posted by Babylonius View Post
    Still SDI, and currently possibly Ansu's the tank trinket since it gives a ton of mastery.
    I highly doubt SDI will be worth it if you go RJW(and maybe even if not.. much of SDI's power originated from our old t18 bonuses) considering how short fights are going to be in the prepatch(assuming it'll resemble SoO prepatch?), especially in fights that aren't pure singletarget.

You simply aren't going to be casting enough things to proc it...

Also I wonder if bok's sdi proc chance will be halved due to the new chi cost... if it doesn't then bok becomes better than rsk as long as it doesn't lead to overcapping gcds I think?

Another amusing thing I noticed by the way, apparently every rjw tick consumes a stack of the new t18 2/4set bonus, yay^^

7+ Year Old Account
    On Live, Power Strikes works this way: every 15sec the game grants you a buff which is consumed by your next Chi builder, giving you an extra Chi. This 15sec timer is running continuously, irregardless of when or even if you use the buff. So you don't get the next buff 15sec after you consumed your last buff, you get it 15sec after you got the last buff. By working this way you don't necessarily have to track the PS "cooldown" to use it optimally, i.e., to get 4 Chi/min out of it. If it was a simple cooldown, you'd have to make sure to use it right when it's up to avoid your Chi/min you get from it to drop below the optimal 4 Chi/min.

My guess is, this hasn't changed at all for Legion.
    "We pave the sunlit path toward justice together, brick by brick. This is my brick." - Tim Cook, CEO of Apple

Armory: Monk, Druid, Death Knight, Shaman
    WoWProgress: Monk, Druid, Death Knight, Shaman

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiaojin View Post
    On Live, Power Strikes works this way: every 15sec the game grants you a buff which is consumed by your next Chi builder, giving you an extra Chi. This 15sec timer is running continuously, irregardless of when or even if you use the buff. So you don't get the next buff 15sec after you consumed your last buff, you get it 15sec after you got the last buff. By working this way you don't necessarily have to track the PS "cooldown" to use it optimally, i.e., to get 4 Chi/min out of it. If it was a simple cooldown, you'd have to make sure to use it right when it's up to avoid your Chi/min you get from it to drop below the optimal 4 Chi/min.

My guess is, this hasn't changed at all for Legion.
    Exactly this ^
    You have 14seconds after you get the buff to use without wasting any charges. Healing Elixir works this way too in wod.

Deleted
    How are WW looking out in the open world for survive ability now? Can we quest our way to 110 without any really issues? Handle rare mobs?

Quote Originally Posted by Kikisamoa View Post
    How are WW looking out in the open world for survive ability now? Can we quest our way to 110 without any really issues? Handle rare mobs?
    Yeah, self healing is very decent with healing elixirs and on-kill healing spheres, you can do mass pulls without worrying at all if you have aoe stun or karma ready(especially with the healing trait, so you can wait until you drop below 50% before using it for double value). Rare mobs are no match for ToD really