Page 16 of 35 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post

That is a false statement because other people may not like cooked ham. So, you can't use that as an analogy. If you say something is ALWAYS bad, then you believe it is a fact. If you believe it is bad for you and maybe not others, that is an opinion. If you disagree with the opinion of others (as in they're wrong to believe that), then it must always be bad, making it a fact.

You seem to not know what anything means.
    Setting aside the fact that you're totally insane, lets run through what you just wrote.

1. If I say something is always bad, i believe that to be a fact
    2. If I say something is bad for me and not others, thats an opinion
    3. If I disagree with someone elses opinion, it is a fact

so, following that logic

1. You are an octopus
    2. I disagree with you when you say you are not an octopus
    3. Meaning it is now a fact that you are an octopus

Step right up folks, i've just discovered my new found power: If I disagree with someones opinion, my opinion on the same matter becomes fact.

Seriously? Run your head under some cold water.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    saying there is a right answer to morals is saying there is a right answer to which car brand is the best
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

Morality is one of the most subjective concepts humanity's given a name to.

Different cultures have different morals, and they change over time and in relation to different factors. That's just about the definition of "subjective". It's not something that is 100% certain, it's not something that there is a "right" way to go about it, there's not a universally agreed upon rule, or even a scientific theory.

Morality is fluid, depending on the overall want and opinions of the population. That makes it subjective. Just because we think we have the "right" morals these days doesn't mean they wont change in the next hundred or so years. If morality were objective, there'd be a right way of treating it. Since it's all based off individual's thoughts, memories, empathy and brain chemistry, we can't say that.

Look at politics and you'll get dozens of conflicting views on moral decisions such as supporting the poor/forcing them to get work/leaving them in the gutter for being "lazy". Subjective viewpoints based off subjective opinions, leading to a subjective decision on what's "moral".

Quote Originally Posted by Dreknar20 View Post
    saying there is a right answer to morals is saying there is a right answer to which car brand is the best
    Well Tesla obviously.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coombs View Post
    Good and bad are nothing more than biological signals. If something as easy as removing parts of the brain or introducing a drug to block the signals negates your entire point it isn't a sound one.
    Stimuli are associated with moral outcomes but are not causative. The good/bad judgement is being attributed to the outcome of the act, not the stimulus.

Unless you're a hedonist.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Coombs View Post
    Moral truths are nothing more than a different magic system. One says god, you say moral laws, same thing.
    'Science is just another religion'.

- - - Updated - - -

You just need to increase the resolution of your question.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Soeroah View Post
    Morality is one of the most subjective concepts humanity's given a name to.

Different cultures have different morals, and they change over time and in relation to different factors. That's just about the definition of "subjective". It's not something that is 100% certain, it's not something that there is a "right" way to go about it, there's not a universally agreed upon rule, or even a scientific theory.

Morality is fluid, depending on the overall want and opinions of the population. That makes it subjective. Just because we think we have the "right" morals these days doesn't mean they wont change in the next hundred or so years. If morality were objective, there'd be a right way of treating it. Since it's all based off individual's thoughts, memories, empathy and brain chemistry, we can't say that.

Look at politics and you'll get dozens of conflicting views on moral decisions such as supporting the poor/forcing them to get work/leaving them in the gutter for being "lazy". Subjective viewpoints based off subjective opinions, leading to a subjective decision on what's "moral".
    Science also changes. It's not subjective.

Morality evolves as we gain information. As science does. I think it's important to remember that the existence of conflicting views is not evidence for many truths.

I'm not sure what you fail to understand about my argument. Just because people have opposing views does not mean there isn't a correct view. If you argue, "they can't be wrong because moral are defined by society". Then you're assuming what you're trying to prove because that directly implies morals are subjective. I'm arguing one particular society does not decide what is morally acceptable or not.
    1. There COULD be a correct view
    2. Even if there was, the people who it didn't suit wouldn't give a shit about it.

You wake up tomorrow. The moral truth comes to you: women are evil: You walk out into the street and inform some women they are evil. Do they now believe you, or even care?

No. They carry on as they were.

Moral truth / objective morality is the pursuit of an almost certainly non existant idea, that when discovered, will be thrown in the trash by everyone who it doesn't suit (which will be probably at least half the world)

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    It has to be pointed out, because it's been claimed here earlier to derive from Biology.
    Thats the argument. That were biologically wired as a species through reason and judgement to know right from wrong. It doesnt necessarily mean people abide by it however.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post

Morality evolves as we gain information. As science does.
    cept morals are based off feelings/emotion instead of logic or research
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Etrayu View Post
    1. There COULD be a correct view
    2. Even if there was, the people who it didn't suit wouldn't give a shit about it.

You wake up tomorrow. The moral truth comes to you: women are evil: You walk out into the street and inform some women they are evil. Do they now believe you, or even care?

No. They carry on as they were.

Moral truth / objective morality is the pursuit of an almost certainly non existant idea, that when discovered, will be thrown in the trash by everyone who it doesn't suit (which will be probably at least half the world)
    Whether or not people conform to a moral truth is irrelevant to the existence of the moral truth.

We've seen this many times with landmark scientific discoveries. Interestingly, the truth wins - even if it takes some time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Many people believe it is a result of evolution to help the species work together and survive. That would make it not a man made concept.
    But the fact that different people/cultures now and throughout history have had different moral codes proves that morals are subjective. If morals were objective everyone would share the same morals, but we don't. Morals are something we as humans have "invented" as a way of making sure we can create a functioning society. It's a man-made concept.
    Last edited by zephid; 2016-07-04 at 04:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Etrayu View Post
    This example is a poor one and inherently contradicts what "moral truth" is: Moral Truth -- The Correspondence Theory of Truth
    A statement is true when it corresponds with reality. In other words, a statement is true if it matches up with the way the world really is. This is the common definition of truth that we all know. It is only when we come to moral truth that people change the definition.

10+ Year Old Account
    cept morals are based off feelings/emotion instead of logic or research
    Are they?

It depends on who you ask. But it might be useful to understand that emotions evolved to approximate what we call moral decisions. So using emotions as a proxy isn't too far off. They won't always be right, but they will be right more often than not. For those cases where emotions don't suffice, I think it would be useful if all of us could appeal to our higher functions on a more regular basis.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zephid View Post
    But the fact that different people/cultures now and throughout history have had different moral codes proves that morals are subjective. If morals were objective everyone would share the same morals, but we don't.
    No, it doesn't. It proves that people have different opinions. But that doesn't mean these opinions have equal value.

Morality is objective, but that doesn't mean it's easy to determine. In fact it's pretty hard to determine, given the sheer volume of information we need in order to make an informed moral decision.

Quote Originally Posted by zephid View Post
    But the fact that different people/cultures now and throughout history have had different moral codes proves that morals are subjective. If morals were objective everyone would share the same morals, but we don't.
    It proves people are people and can be fooled, tricked and coerced into doing pretty much anything, thats all.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    But that doesn't mean these opinions have equal value.
    and who or what has the authority to judge that value?

10+ Year Old Account
    that's it's mostly used by overly narcissistic people to justify their overly selfish principles and attitudes.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not about authority. Judgement can come from anyone with sufficient information. In many cases, those with the most information are those involved in the moral decision.

There is no such thing as objective morality because morality is a code of behaviour internal to a human culture. Makes no sense outside of that context.

Morals can't be subjective. It doesn't make any sense for something to be morally wrong in one culture but morally okay in another culture.
    The people in culture A believe X is wrong in their culture. People in culture B believe X isn't wrong. To the people in A it's wrong, to the people in B it's not.

The universe doesn't care about X, because the universe is just a sea of quarks and energy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    that's it's mostly used by overly narcissistic people to justify their overly selfish principles and attitudes.
    Yes, subjective morality is often used as an excuse for terrible behavior.

We're talking about the same thing, right?

The possible inherent and universal understanding of natural law, governed by reason and judgement.

Morality is objective, but that doesn't mean it's easy to determine. In fact it's pretty hard to determine, given the sheer volume of information we need in order to make an informed moral decision.
    Tautological. "Moral decisions" are made on moral axioms and principles which are themselves subjective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.