Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Concerns about hide helm/cloak, transmog and forced quest rewards in Legion

I've posted this on the EU forum, but the devs ignore EU forum so I am posting it here in hopes that someone can post my concerns on the US WoW forum for the devs to take notice!

I've been playing the Legion PTR and I've had a few issues:

1) Hide helm / cloak is gone from options, replaced with invisible transmog; Why? It's been with us for 10 years and there's literally no reason to tie it to the transmog system. It makes it so you have to visit the transmog vendor every single time you want to hide / unhide your hat / cloak / shoulders. What's also dumb is that making it hidden is free, but to unhide it you have to transmog it back to how you want it to look for gold. And don't even start with "just buy a yak", i shouldn't have to spend 120k gold on something that should be in the base freaking game -.-

2) Leveling a warrior from 1 to 40 without heirlooms I've noticed that many quest rewards were trimmed down to just plate / 2-handed weapons for me; This is bad because sometimes I want to pick something that just looks cooler but isn't plate or weapon, either as an RP piece or if I lack any sort of helmet / shoulders and would rather pick -something- for that slot, than another plate chest that may be worse than mine.

To elaborate;

The 2nd thing is more about if

1) I'm a warrior

2) I want to complete quest to get a cloth dress

3) I complete quest

4) The quest doesn't show me the dress; It only shows me the plate rewards.

Or sometimes it shows me no items at all if nothing in the quest has str / plate stats. It's really discouraging to do a long questline and not even get a vendor / rp item.
    It also ties into the new transmog system greying out any non-plate items you're wearing on the warrior, meaning you can't even hide leather / cloth hat any more, or transmog a cloth dress you could've unlocked in the wardrobe via mage for RP.

Both those things are extremely stupid and really need to to be brought to the devs' attention before the game ships. So please, if you have a running US account / US beta, post it on the US forums so we get our comfy rp / visual options fixed! Thank you.
    Last edited by Saberstrike; 2016-07-04 at 09:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't hide/show my cloak and helm enough for the first option to matter to me at all. I basically only change those when I change xmog.

As far as #2 goes. You can't unlock mail/leather/cloth by getting it on a plate wearer from the way the devs made things sound and as far as from an RP aspect you wont be able to xmog into them, but I suppose you could hold on to it to swap out at some point maybe.
    Battletag(US): Bradski#11752
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What do you call a tsundere Wookie? Chew-b-b-baka

Nope, you can't hold onto it because you can't even get it any more. Like if you're an old player who got it before legion then it's a non issue, but if you'll be leveling a new toon in legion you'll not even have a way to acquire some of the unique-looking quest rewards on it

It really really sucks for RP. Plenty of soldier guilds hide and show their helmets in RP many times. This is fucking bullshit tbh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saberstrike View Post
    Nope, you can't hold onto it because you can't even get it any more. Like if you're an old player who got it before legion then it's a non issue, but if you'll be leveling a new toon in legion you'll not even have a way to acquire some of the unique-looking quest rewards on it
    Unless you level a toon of the required armor proficiency, pretty sure.

Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    It really really sucks for RP. Plenty of soldier guilds hide and show their helmets in RP many times. This is fucking bullshit tbh.
    Wouldn't it normally have just been faster to remove your helmet than bother going through option menus anyways?
    Battletag(US): Bradski#11752
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What do you call a tsundere Wookie? Chew-b-b-baka

Quote Originally Posted by Treeskee View Post
    Unless you level a toon of the required armor proficiency, pretty sure.

Wouldn't it normally have just been faster to remove your helmet than bother going through option menus anyways?
    ssh, don't make sense. You'll scare them of.

Seriously, all the stuff here is a non issue. Hiding slots tied to the transmog system makes sense! That's how it is in most if not all MMO's.

There's quite a few addons that simplify it (adding a button into character screen or allowing you to type /helm in game to hide / unhide it); Those addons won't work because the scripting they use is just gone from the game in legion.. =/

15+ Year Old Account
    I can understand that this wille be quite annoying, but lets be serious - after you ding max level, how often do you get a new helmet?

The question isn't how often you get a new helmet; The question is why are they removing baseline functionality that's been with us for 10 years?

And in the case of quest rewards, they tried to push it on players in MoP but it was so hated they backed away from it. Now they're trying to sneak it back in, KNOWING players hated it.

15+ Year Old Account
    It is indeed a very strange change. I prefer a hidden cloak on my characters, so I will eventually get annoyed by this strange and sudden change. If at least we could change it right away instead of going to some transmog dealer in the cities.

Quote Originally Posted by 8bithamster View Post
    ssh, don't make sense. You'll scare them of.

Seriously, all the stuff here is a non issue. Hiding slots tied to the transmog system makes sense! That's how it is in most if not all MMO's.
    How many of those other MMOs also force you to go talk to a specific NPC in town to make use of the system?

Off the top of my head, both GW2 and Rift both have Wardrobe systems that allow you to show or hide any slot (not limited to helms and cloaks), and do so from any location (no need to travel to town).

Edit: But then, Blizzard having a half-assed version of a system used in other MMOs, particularly when the system is one that is tied to customization, is pretty much the norm.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    It's annoying to be sure, but it also spurred me to buy the 120k Transmog mount specifically for this purpose.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AlarStormbringer View Post
    It's annoying to be sure, but it also spurred me to buy the 120k Transmog mount specifically for this purpose.
    Was it only 120k? Maybe i gotta go and buy that before legion.

The thing is, as the OP wrote, you shouldn't have to, as the option should just stay in game as it is, it's not like it requires blizzards to go out of their way to add it, as it's already in the game.

Also no amount of mammoths solves the issue of not being able to get quest rewards of other armor types for non-combat RP gear etc. (like say cloth or leather robe/"dress" if you play a female warrior or paladin)

I am freakingly close-fisted, but I ended up doing the same xD

I don't really think that this helm/cloak change is weird at all. It never made sense for this function to be hidden in the options menu to begin with.
    Blizzard reworked the transmog system so it made sense to put everything where it belongs.

I don't understand the issue here. Is it the extra mile you have to go to a transmog vendor to disable a new helm/cloak? Or has this something to do with RP? Even then I don't get it because you can still simply unequip those items.

Deleted

1) Hide helm / cloak is gone from options, replaced with invisible transmog; Why? It's been with us for 10 years and there's literally no reason to tie it to the transmog system. It makes it so you have to visit the transmog vendor every single time you want to hide / unhide your hat / cloak / shoulders. What's also dumb is that making it hidden is free, but to unhide it you have to transmog it back to how you want it to look for gold. And don't even start with "just buy a yak", i shouldn't have to spend 120k gold on something that should be in the base freaking game -.-

2) Leveling a warrior from 1 to 40 without heirlooms I've noticed that many quest rewards were trimmed down to just plate / 2-handed weapons for me; This is bad because sometimes I want to pick something that just looks cooler but isn't plate or weapon, either as an RP piece or if I lack any sort of helmet / shoulders and would rather pick -something- for that slot, than another plate chest that may be worse than mine.
    1) having everything in one place is a good reason. having to go to a completely different menu to do 1 specific apperance option is unintuitive, a hassle, etc. it now costing gold is just a result of them giving us to much gold in WoD i'd say. Requiring a vendor now is a downgrade but i image one most peopel can live with.

i suppose they could have put the checkboxes for hide in the transmog system itself, but i really think they saw an opportunity for a minor goldsink and took it.

2)good news you will probably have over a hundred of appearance options available even at low level due to the new transmog system.

yeah it sucks for RPers that it's harder to find very specific offpieces now, but most models are available as a boe drop too somewhere.
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2016-07-04 at 08:38 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeletroll View Post
    Was it only 120k? Maybe i gotta go and buy that before legion.
    120k? Damn I have only 168k gold on my toon

Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42 View Post
    How many of those other MMOs also force you to go talk to a specific NPC in town to make use of the system?

Off the top of my head, both GW2 and Rift both have Wardrobe systems that allow you to show or hide any slot (not limited to helms and cloaks), and do so from any location (no need to travel to town).

Edit: But then, Blizzard having a half-assed version of a system used in other MMOs, particularly when the system is one that is tied to customization, is pretty much the norm.
    And yet you still play the game even though blizzard "half asses" things. So who fails the hardest here?

Don't want to walk to an NPC? Get a Yak. It's not a hard concept.

What's also dumb is that making it hidden is free, but to unhide it you have to transmog it back to how you want it to look for gold.
    An appearance is often tied to more than one item, so the system won't know if you try to transmog an item into an apperance it normally has.
    Just rightclick the item in the transmog window, it will go back to its normal appearance with no cost