Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shangxi View Post
    After having browsed the monk forums and played a monk for 3 years I find more often the people who post their confine themselves to a smaller amount of threads and are often busy running simulations etc. instead of repeatedly asking the same questions that have already been answered in stickied threads like I've seen in other class forums. Everyone has their morons but with monks having less players, they equally have less people sh*tposting. I may just be a little biased though.
    And this is why there are barely any monks on this forum. The elitism of the players is just pathetic. Questions get laughed away. "Just go sim noob!" When people just need help with how to start raiding as a monk etc.
    Every other class forum is helpfull, social and really tries to help new class players out. Not so much on the monk forum.

The monk players I know avoid MMO-champ like the plague, and just help people through RealID and stuff.

Always hated the class. Just everything about it. The class 'fantasy', using your fists, etc. Got bored and tried out WW on the ptr, and man is it powerful. Ran a few dungeons and dominated the dps charts (not that means much at this time). Still, the aoe is fantastic...right up there with unholy dk. The single target damage is good too. You have massively powerful cooldowns. They solo amazingly well. The only things I can't solo on the Legion invasions are the 5million health elites.

I'm actually debating making monk my main in Legion.

I love Brewmaster. I'd like to love Mistweaver again. We'll see.

7+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, in a macro sense because they started at level 1. The game can no longer support classes that start at level 1, as it's a ridiculous barrier of entry. Think of it this way if I decided to main a monk in MoP I'd be at a massive disadvantage opposed to every other class main, as I needed to go through 9 times the levels the other players did. Realistically it doubles the leveling time, which for the majority of players is a factor.

I don't think it's because they are particularly non-appealing, individuals may dislike them but I haven't really seen any evidence supporting that it's any greater than other classes.

15+ Year Old Account
    I actually liked the Monks playstyle, but I stopped playing them because I prefer my character use their weapons when they fight, and it looks stupid that he sheathes his weapons everytime he hits, just to take them in his hands again.

I think the main problem is that they truly were a mess in the start I mean did it go a single patch in MoP where they didnt totally change MW and WW? And because of that it never got the critical mass of players a class and spec needed. I played a monk in MoP and i still enjoy playing it like an alt today but I have lost the feeling I had in the start because what monk was changed all the time it was never rock solid what they were supposed to be.

I was thinking about rerolling to monk at the start of MoP, but honestly the transmog problem was the biggest barrier to me. None of the existing leather was exactly right, the new tier and PvP sets didn't fit right either and the only staff in the game pre-legion is the class staff everyone has. When I had a chance to play them, they just didn't click with me either, but mostly I just wanted a really iconic monky set.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Malderon View Post
    I never really considered Monks/Shamans real classes, I don't even know why and how some people main them.
    I dont know how you couldnt run a Resto shaman these days with all their CD's

Deleted
    I didn't start on Monks until WoD (it was something to DO).

Fell in love with it and is currently favourite to take over from my shaman for Legion (as i don't like the new Enhance much). I don't know why i waited so long to try one tbh.

Can't stand the theme of brewmaster, windwalker felt like a crippled rogue who forgot his weapons and mistweaver theme wise was just another flavor of restoration shaman. Didn't appeal to me, and that is not even mentioning most of the butt-ugly armor sets .

I played one for a while. In the end, it's just weird being in a fight with arrows, fireballs and huge swords and you're there just... punching and kicking.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    There were draenei monks in BC Auchindoun as well, but they were completely left out of WoD Auchindoun. Seems there's no room for monks that aren't panda style. Which is odd because panda monks weren't invented until MoP.

Also a blood elf arcane monk-like character in Magister's Terrace.
    Yeah, Monks even get their Order Hall on Pandaren Island. You'd think that it would be handled better, at least creating a whole new, multicultural monastery, but screw that, pandaplace.

I played Monk in Legion a bit, and it's, well, kind of lackluster. The rotation is cool and all, but with all the animation improvements Monks stopped being kind of special in that department. Compared to most, they are kind of bland, with barely any cool abilities. Almost no new and interesting talents (Chi Orbit for the lolz) enhance this feeling. They could have at least copied some stuff from Diablo III monk, like Seven-Sided Strike or this dash ability.

7+ Year Old Account
    the only monk spec that i like is mw, other than that i find them boring.

Formerly known as Arafal

they should've gone with the D3 approach instead of the "Kung Fu Panda" it just feels to goofy for me.

15+ Year Old Account
    Maybe the reason why Pandarens are primarily used for Monks are because of their nature? Parandens seeks inner peace, and for what I understand Monks share this vision.

Other races are known for being brutal, but the only reason there have been brutal Pandarens through the history is because their continent was attacked.

Windwalker = fail rogue, even more boring playstyle than the rogue itself.

Brewmaster = Was fun in MoP with its insane aoe dmg and everything, not sure how its gonna be in Legion.

Mistwalker = I enjoyed its tryhard aoe healing but at the same time was a pain in the ass, the legion version of it seems amazing though

Basically the difference is..DK came out and it was some sort of Magical hitting warrior that closes gaps by pulling and rooting compared to how Warrior only had charge so it was somehow "new".

The Monk DPS part of it which is what makes a class "Exciting" cause lets face it, every child wants to be top DPS , is just a failed rogue, it has low appeal to the masses.

Quote Originally Posted by SDMF View Post
    I've only tried WW and its rotation was way too convoluted for my taste, so much that I'd call it the epitome of button bloat.
    This pretty much sums up my experience with monks, nicely. Wayyy too many buttons for my liking - makes it a "harder" spec to just pick up and play. Having levelled 1 of every class in WoD too max, and geared them all to at least 710+ WW was my least favourite by far.

Literally yesterday i've specced to Brewmaster, to see if i like that spec more

Windwalker main for the past 2 xpac and mythic raider. The sad truth is that raid spot in melee are hard to get and the Demon Hunter feels like a better version of the windwalker so, ww are now just a subpar rogue / dh with no raid CD... I feel like i'm being forced to change main (+ i do not like the change they made to the clones).

Deleted
    I'll copypaste my whinings from some previous monk thread as it answers this question too:
    ---
    I personally can't even understand what draws people to play monk.

To me, WoW monk is some bland and generic hand-to-hand-fighter who still sometimes uses weapons and some weird mist and lightning because? I always feel that devs did not have one good "fantasy" for a monk so they chose few decent-at-best ideas from a pile of random crap and put it into one.

I know that in majority of games/crap fantasy literature monks are just some guys from monastery who are physically stronger and faster than anyone, have a super discplined, focused mind powers etc. but are still not really better than other fighters because they need to hit bad guys 100 times with their fists, feets and ass. If they would use actual weapons with their super-tuned muscles, they would just kill everyone in seconds. But no, let's hit them with whirlwind kick because it's "cooler" that way. Wow devs could not invent anything interesting on top of that, other than some mist and lightning and weird mirror image things. At least brewmaster has that drunken kungfu cliche from few movies. And even that does not interest me because i despise alcohol and drugs (not because of any religion crap, lol)

Sorry, i got carried away a bit... this may sound like it, but it's not an offense against monk players. I just can't understand them. Also i can admit that i have not really played monk. I made my monk some time after MoP launch and it's been (RAF'd) lvl63 since that, so naturally i don't have real clue how it plays.

TL;DR: definitely monks will be the least played class. I don't know if DH's will be mechanically any better, but are dark, edgy and "cool", so naturally they will draw certain players towards them.
    ---

Edit: and regarding draenei monks from TBC, there was already scarlet monks in scarlet monastery dungeons, in classic, before MoP revamp. If i recall correctly?
    Last edited by mmoc64ace7a841; 2016-07-04 at 11:07 AM.

I find the animations to be incredibly cringeworthy, on any race.

I wasn't very fond of Pandaria either.