Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    Her mother did let them know she was disabled...and they still tried to take the girl away alone anyway. They came up behind her and grabbed her and she responded in a way that many people would have. They could have let her mother help her instead and no one would have gotten hurt. They could let the girl walk through the metal detector again without the sequin shirt and not have to take her away at all and no one would have gotten hurt. Either of those things would have resulted in the employees actually doing their job (part of their job is ensuring the safety of all passengers). No one would have been hurt, no one would be getting sued, and no one would be getting fired.

As for the age, my bad, I got "17" stuck in my head from the amount of years the family has gone through that airport without ever needing to make a special appointment.

Yes. Cause claiming someone is disabled and needs special treatment after the alarms are set is totes resonable. Glad we cleared that up.

Im disabled. What makes that statement even funnier, is that 1- it's true. And 2- you may or may not beleive me based on my word alone and the context of this discussion. Kinda like the situation the TSA was in with someone making the claim mid scenario.

Anyway. That point wasn't even intentional. Accurate as fuck; but not my main one. My main one is that I know the deal with being disabled. You don't just walk up and expect people to take your word on it at the spur of a moment. It doesn't work that way. Not even at Disney land. If i don't place my blue placard up, I get ticketed if I'm in a disable spot. Nothing I say will change that.

What will change that is if I let the state know I am disabled AHEAD OF TIME. That way they can accommodate me with cool perks and different treatment.

So if her mother never once made arrangements, fyck her for being a bad Guardian. The TSA. Sucks too( but I feel bad for the girl who has a Guatdian who can't be arsed with phoning ahead on behalf of her disabled kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    By reading the article with only comments from one party. How did I dodge it? Here let me point it out to you again. Reasonable accommodation could have simple been not separating her from her mother. Her asking for the accommodation AS THEY'RE TELLING HER THEY NEED TO DO FURTHER SCREENING doesn't work. It's a security flaw. Yes, her physical disabilities may be apparent but if they're only physical disabilities, they shouldn't have hindered her from following directions. They had no way of knowing she would be uncomfortable in an unfamiliar environment, besides whatever the mother was saying at the time and again, is irrelevant because they can't just take her word for it.

How do you know the time frame on the events? Holy fuck are you this dense? All I'm saying is you don't have all the facts and you only have one side of the story yet you automatically know the TSA is for sure in the wrong. I think the TSA is shit mostly but I just can't stand when people think they can make these conclusions when they don't have all the facts. If what you're claiming is true, then yes it's completely ridiculous how they handled the situation, it seems ridiculous regardless which I keep saying but you keep thinking I disagree I guess.
    Again: removing her was not a situation that needed to happen if they were able to do their job. It was not something she could have foreseen happening to make the accommodation. She didn't even get a chance to not follow directions.

And even if she did, and got a special card that said "MAY ACCOMPANY DAUGHTER" do you realllyyy think it'd be worth a damn to people that think "startled movement" = "security threat, TACKLE!"?

Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    Again: removing her was not a situation that needed to happen if they were able to do their job. It was not something she could have foreseen happening to make the accommodation. She didn't even get a chance to not follow directions.

And even if she did, and got a special card that said "MAY ACCOMPANY DAUGHTER" do you realllyyy think it'd be worth a damn to people that think "startled movement" = "security threat, TACKLE!"?

If she didn't see this coming then she's a fool. Even I expect to get checked from time to time at the airport.

Also, giving a heads up call still would have prevented it as well as many other unforeseen issues. Like, what if her daughter goes to the restroom and winds up disoriented and lost? Can't predict that apparently.

But having her registered and shit would make it abundantly easier for airport staff to help her properly

Nah fuck that. Calling in is too hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempguy View Post
    If she didn't see this coming then she's a fool. Even I expect to get checked from time to time at the airport.

Also, giving a heads up call still would have prevented it as well as many other unforeseen issues. Like, what if her daughter goes to the restroom and winds up disoriented and lost? Can't predict that apparently.

But having her registered and shit would make it abundantly easier for airport staff to help her properly

Nah fuck that. Calling in is too hard.
    Why do you feel the need to make up strawmen, attack them viciously, and declare victory?

Getting pulled to a small room? Not normal. Her daughter getting lost? Also not normal, and not something the airport would have a "file on" with her "registered". the accommodation is for screening only. The fact that you think they have lists for people at the airport in case they get lost is weird as hell.

amazing how easy it is to blow an incident out of proportion and get the forum warriors going.

Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    amazing how easy it is to blow an incident out of proportion and get the forum warriors going.
    Why is your font so tiny?

Well it seems fine now... Weird

Arguments over the specifics are all fine and good, but even going off of the TSA's official response, unless she was screaming "I'VE GOT A BOMB!", I really don't think any level of 'un-cooperation' requires the level of beating she seems to have gotten.

Yes. Cause claiming someone is disabled and needs special treatment after the alarms are set is totes resonable. Glad we cleared that up.

Im disabled. What makes that statement even funnier, is that 1- it's true. And 2- you may or may not beleive me based on my word alone and the context of this discussion. Kinda like the situation the TSA was in with someone making the claim mid scenario.

Anyway. That point wasn't even intentional. Accurate as fuck; but not my main one. My main one is that I know the deal with being disabled. You don't just walk up and expect people to take your word on it at the spur of a moment. It doesn't work that way. Not even at Disney land. If i don't place my blue placard up, I get ticketed if I'm in a disable spot. Nothing I say will change that.

What will change that is if I let the state know I am disabled AHEAD OF TIME. That way they can accommodate me with cool perks and different treatment.

So if her mother never once made arrangements, fyck her for being a bad Guardian. The TSA. Sucks too( but I feel bad for the girl who has a Guatdian who can't be arsed with phoning ahead on behalf of her disabled kid.
    Let's disregard the disability for a moment...do you think that The TSA handled this situation in the proper way?

Can call early and warn about specific precautions in order to avoid situations such as this.

So while it might have been exaggerated, the parent isn't completely blameless.

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    This is a level of tragic just beneath "soldier comes home from war safe, dies in grocery story shooting." Holy shit TSA. Get over yourselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

Quote Originally Posted by Firatha View Post
    Really you going to ignore the fact that ANYTHING could of gone wrong during boarding disembarking or the flight its self that could of ended in a confrontation.
    Yes, obviously, whenever you are in the USA you need to inform any and all persons you might encounter of all your disabilites in advance lest someone get the urge to tackle you to the ground in an official capacity.

- - - Updated - - -

If you're security and you don't realize that grabbing someone from behind that's visually impaired will cause them to instinctively fight back, why the fuck are you in security?
    Maybe because you want a pretext to drag off minors to a "sterile area" and perform some "cavity searches"? That would be one possibility.

- - - Updated - - -

Yup. Whenever any rando says they have a disability, I'll refrain from doing my job. I'll just give everyone a pass. Why do we even have a disabled accommodation system? Everyone says they are disabled. Surely no one is lying.
    How about you ask for proof?

15+ Year Old Account
    Searched != pulled off to a private area. Especially not when the solution to the problem (removing the shirt) is right fucking there and someone is telling you "if you do this unusual thing, she's going to be afraid, she has medical issues".

What's the whole story? She's secretly the sequin-shirt bomber, and the attack was foiled by her masterful tackle?
    I like how someone on page 1 whined that it was liberals who worship the TSA, and then we have the conservative group making excuses for the TSA being dipshits. Who'da thunk.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes, the mother could have called ahead. Not doing so was likely something that contributed to the situation. That said, the TSA acted with unnecessary force. As someone who's gone through treatment, I can say the girl really wouldn't have had much strength to "resist". She was probably just barely able to walk. I know I had to spend much of my treatment in a wheelchair as chemo is rather brutal. Add to that, she is noticeably blind in one eye, so people approaching from that side to grab her are going to freak her out (deaf as well, but that's not as obvious).

I understand that the TSA has a responsibility. What I'd call into question is the appropriateness of the amount of force used in this particular situation. The court will be considering many of the following questions and more. Were the actions taken appropriate to the given situation? Could they have done anything differently while still performing the duties required by the TSA? Were the actions described by the accusor accurate to the events of the day when compared to any verifyable evidence presented in court?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aoyi View Post
    Yes, the mother could have called ahead. Not doing so was likely something that contributed to the situation. That said, the TSA acted with unnecessary force. As someone who's gone through treatment, I can say the girl really wouldn't have had much strength to "resist". She was probably just barely able to walk. I know I had to spend much of my treatment in a wheelchair as chemo is rather brutal. Add to that, she is noticeably blind in one eye, so people approaching from that side to grab her are going to freak her out (deaf as well, but that's not as obvious).

I understand that the TSA has a responsibility. What I'd call into question is the appropriateness of the amount of force used in this particular situation. The court will be considering many of the following questions and more. Were the actions taken appropriate to the given situation? Could they have done anything differently while still performing the duties required by the TSA? Were the actions described by the accusor accurate to the events of the day when compared to any verifyable evidence presented in court?
    Only the picture and the parents' sensationalized story is bullshit.

The claimed picture of this girl who they say just finished chemo, has a full head of long hair... So no, either she didn't just finish or its not even a picture of her. Not only that, but the TSA claims she wasn't injured at all, not that the injuries were exaggerated or anything like that, that they simply didn't happen at all. I doubt that would make such an official claim without actual proof to that end.

And being disabled doesn't give you a free pass to not follow the rules.
    Last edited by I Push Buttons; 2016-07-04 at 01:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The TSA is fucking useless.

Bunch of idiots.

Sort of like this story where they tell a Marine who lost both legs to an IED to stand and walk to a screening area... Then proceeded to harass him because he couldn't.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Only the picture and the parents' sensationalized story is bullshit.

The claimed picture of this girl who they say just finished chemo, has a full head of long hair... So no, either she didn't just finish or its not even a picture of her. Not only that, but the TSA claims she wasn't injured at all, not that the injuries were exaggerated or anything like that, that they simply didn't happen at all. I doubt that would make such an official claim without actual proof to that end.

And being disabled doesn't give you a free pass to not follow the rules.
    Ignoring your last sentence because it was not relavent to what I posted at all. I just wanted to point out that the fact that she has hair doesn't mean anything. Yes, I lost all hair during my treatment (even eyelashes). My friend Jeff still has his hair (minus his bald spot) and he's been under treatment since January.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aoyi View Post
    Ignoring your last sentence because it was not relavent to what I posted at all. I just wanted to point out that the fact that she has hair doesn't mean anything. Yes, I lost all hair during my treatment (even eyelashes). My friend Jeff still has his hair (minus his bald spot) and he's been under treatment since January.
    Like I said though, the TSA (on their official twitter and in official statements) say reports based on the mother's account are inaccurate AND that the girl was not injured in any manner to what the mother describes. Considering these are official statements and it happened in an airport that I am sure was filled with hundreds of cameras, the truth will definitely come out one way or the other, but I highly doubt they would make those statements if the evidence didn't support it. It would only make them look even worse and result in even higher profile people being dismissed.

From the TSA's account, the girl refused to be screened and refused to leave, the family made it an ordeal, and the TSA called the police who removed them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    The claimed picture of this girl who they say just finished chemo, has a full head of long hair... So no, either she didn't just finish or its not even a picture of her.
    You know, we invented these things called "wigs" a couple millennia ago.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters