Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Angry Can't Find a single legitimate copy of windows on amazon.

OK I feel I am actually going crazy here, but I need to buy a new OS for my new PC, as my old w7 install was OEM, so I had a look on amazon.co.uk for a cheap w7 or reasonably price w10, so i could compare the prices and decide if I want w7 or 10.

So I am going through the listings and every single copy of windows seems to be sold by a couple of sellers (Microsoft Software is one, the other called just called Microsoft) who seem to have completely flooded amazon with counterfeit windows, every review section is full of people who got sent Dell repair CDs, product keys from torrents etc.

The crazy thing is I cant find any other sellers, its just these 2. The annoying thing is I dont even have patience for this, I dont even want windows, 10 seems garbage and 7 is so old I hardly want to pay full price for it. Im too stupid to use linux, although I will be dual booting it for sure this time to try it out, but im having a big problem justifying the purchase of an OS that I think is basically just laggy spyware (w10) or soon to be obselete w7. rock and a hard place right now

Does anyone know where I can get guaranteed legitimate windows for a good price in uk?

10+ Year Old Account
    If they can't be assed to provide the software you want in a safe medium, then they must not want money for it. If you know what I am saying.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

15+ Year Old Account
    http://www.kinguin.net/category/1381...l-oem-key-sp1/

Buy Windows 7 here and you'll get a key sent to you.
    Afterwards install Windows 10 and activate using the Windows 7 key you got.
    Then once activated you remove it and install Windows 7 cleanly again and you're done.

You'll be on 7 until you decide when you want to go to Windows 10 which will be activated and free for you.
    You have until July 29th to do this, afterwards you pay more for W10 as upgrades are no longer free.

Deleted
    that site looks really shady. Why are the keys so cheap? If it looks too good to be true, it usually is.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by harkonen View Post
    that site looks really shady. Why are the keys so cheap? If it looks too good to be true, it usually is.
    The site is not shady at all and whilst yes there are rotten apples in between 99,9999999% of all sales are legit.

I've used it many times and so have others, you're fine from buying from there.

Deleted
    The problem I have is that windows keys can be distributed to multiple people, and it may not be flagged as counterfeit key for months sometimes. I am tempted to just try it for the sake of £20, i just dont want to lose my work etc on my c drive if it stops working after 30 days.

OK I feel I am actually going crazy here, but I need to buy a new OS for my new PC, as my old w7 install was OEM, so I had a look on amazon.co.uk for a cheap w7 or reasonably price w10, so i could compare the prices and decide if I want w7 or 10.

So I am going through the listings and every single copy of windows seems to be sold by a couple of sellers (Microsoft Software is one, the other called just called Microsoft) who seem to have completely flooded amazon with counterfeit windows, every review section is full of people who got sent Dell repair CDs, product keys from torrents etc.

The crazy thing is I cant find any other sellers, its just these 2. The annoying thing is I dont even have patience for this, I dont even want windows, 10 seems garbage and 7 is so old I hardly want to pay full price for it. Im too stupid to use linux, although I will be dual booting it for sure this time to try it out, but im having a big problem justifying the purchase of an OS that I think is basically just laggy spyware (w10) or soon to be obselete w7. rock and a hard place right now

Does anyone know where I can get guaranteed legitimate windows for a good price in uk?
    If I recall right Win10 didn't get a dvd release, it was released on USB.
    I could be wrong about there being no DVD sell if someone wants to prove me wrong that would be great

So here ya go.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Windows-32-...rds=Windows+10
    Dispatched from and sold by Amazon. Gift-wrap available.
    I don't recommend buying from digital key selling sites that isn't official selling sites.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

If you want to be absolutely safe, you can buy it from the official Microsoft Store, but of course thats not quite the definition of cheap.

In Germany we're allowed by law to re-sell and re-use OEM licenses since a couple years, so we can just grab cheap OEM licenses of amazon and they work perfectly fine. However, this is local law and probably not applicable to the UK.

Just in case you do try out one of the cheap options - if it turns out to not work, it won't delete your data, it'll just ask for a new key.

15+ Year Old Account
    The problem I have is that windows keys can be distributed to multiple people, and it may not be flagged as counterfeit key for months sometimes. I am tempted to just try it for the sake of £20, i just dont want to lose my work etc on my c drive if it stops working after 30 days.
    Most sellers are held accountable and the point of this as well is the following:

If you sell the same OEM key all across the world and MS' auto-activation system shows it's been activated multiple times from a different country it gets instantly locked, there's no delay in it at all.
    Having said that it can be verified as well by simply activating Windows 10 with the key because if it does work it instantly consumes the key and binds it to your motherboard, after that's done for the first no other motherboard can be activated with that specific key any more.
    You can still use it to install and activate Windows 7 but Windows 10 is yours and there ain't nothing no-one can do anything against that

10+ Year Old Account

I had a key get flagged once and I ended up on the phone with Microsoft and after 20 mins of bickering they sent me to this automated system that asked me for the key i had and spit out a new key that has been working fine ever since. My only proof of purchase was the sticker on the bottom of my laptop that i had gotten 2nd hand from a relative. Still not sure how/why the key was flagged.

Also, if push came to shove, you could use a win7 loader to re-arm the 30 day thing (you can do it over and over if you need to).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    If I recall right Win10 didn't get a dvd release, it was released on USB.
    I could be wrong about there being no DVD sell if someone wants to prove me wrong that would be great

So here ya go.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Windows-32-...rds=Windows+10

I don't recommend buying from digital key selling sites that isn't official selling sites.
    ah thanks, I did see this one, but my brain is frazzled from looking at hundreds of these pages, I will probably just pay for this one, to avoid any hassles. Thanks for your help guys.

I bought this last month for my new build https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE Went with the one that was sold by amazon even though it was 5 quid more just to avoid any hassle in case others were bootleg or something...

W10 seems perfectly fine, dunno where you got the laggy spyware bit from I haven't had any issues with it /shrug

Deleted
    If you value privacy at all, take a look at what information w10 sends back to microsoft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1kG...ex=708&list=WL

This is a pretty good video explaining the problems and showing how to disable most of it.

ah thanks, I did see this one, but my brain is frazzled from looking at hundreds of these pages, I will probably just pay for this one, to avoid any hassles. Thanks for your help guys.
    No problem at all. Like I quoted it is Dispatched from and sold by Amazon. So any issues you have take it up with them and they should be able to fix any problems.

I recommend using amazon support chat online over email and phone based on my experience here in the US.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Deleted
    I already spoke to their support about the counterfeit copies, but I got the impression they were just trying to get rid of me since I hadn't actually purchased any of them yet, they didn't seem particularly interested.

I already spoke to their support about the counterfeit copies, but I got the impression they were just trying to get rid of me since I hadn't actually purchased any of them yet, they didn't seem particularly interested.
    Just wondering how do you know they are counterfeit?

Trust me don't trust amazon reviews, take them with a grain of salt. Are the reviews coming from people who are labled to have bought the product?

This thread is scaring me; mainly because I finally ordered parts for a new computer after using this 9 year old Dell Dimension computer for so many years (which I had start using after my self built AthlonXP 2400+ machine finally got to old to be upgraded).

My copy of Windows 10 which I upgraded from Windows 7 is installed on this machine. Does that mean I have to purchase a new copy of Windows for the new computer? I didn't figure that in my calculations at all.

Quote Originally Posted by RampageBW1 View Post
    This thread is scaring me; mainly because I finally ordered parts for a new computer after using this 9 year old Dell Dimension computer for so many years (which I had start using after my self built AthlonXP 2400+ machine finally got to old to be upgraded).

My copy of Windows 10 which I upgraded from Windows 7 is installed on this machine. Does that mean I have to purchase a new copy of Windows for the new computer? I didn't figure that in my calculations at all.
    You can try getting the key for that win10 or calling up Microsoft and seeing if they can provide a key.

But more then likely you may be getting a new win10 copy.

What you could do tho is find a cheap Win7 legit copy and just upgrade from it. I have heard of them working with people who have upgraded to a new build. So it is best to contact there support and see what they can do.

Well my copy of Windows 7 isn't an OEM, so maybe I'll give it a go. I actually have access to two copies of Windows 7. So, I guess we'll see.
    Last edited by RampageBW1; 2016-07-04 at 01:28 PM.

Why don't you use the free upgrade to win10? Still valid until the end of the month. Works mit all versions, OEM included.