Page 69 of 77 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Ahhh kill the RGB LED, lol... no seriously people stop.
    Oh, OCUK alone is getting 2k of those for the first shipment, damn O.o
    Luckily, it has an off switch/setting \o/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikko View Post
    Yes, the article mentions that the memory is listed wrong
    Me no finn
    If it actually around that price and translates to USD also... that's a completely separate price category than RX 480 then =\
    Quote Originally Posted by Svinoi Banana View Post
    Luckily, it has an off switch/setting \o/
    Kill it anyways!

10+ Year Old Account
    Why are the prices of the RX 480 high? Weren't they planned to be around $200?

Edit: Nevermind! I posted after only checking amazon... newegg shows closer prices to what was expected. Thanks anyways!
    Professional's Guide to: Upgrading Your Computer
    Quote Originally Posted by OperationFerret View Post
    Legion PvP is so bad that Holinka is handing out titles for watching the arena championships.

Quote Originally Posted by Taiknee View Post

Edit: Nevermind! I posted after only checking amazon... newegg shows closer prices to what was expected. Thanks anyways!
    TL;DR - Someone is eating the cake, then selling off the last slice to stores.

Earlier I asked whether there will be 4GB nitro or not. I've read a topic on reddit yesterday. Some AMD official says there might be 4GB nitro in late july/early august but seems too early given they didn't even batch out the 8GB nitros yet. To be fairly honest, I find 8GB version for a mid-tier card to be a bit unnecessary. The card is not powerful enough (be it in terms of memory bandwidth or computation power) to utilize 8GB memory in full efficiency. I will be building a system in late july/early august. Hope Nvidia releases GTX 1060 as early as possible. Need to check that as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah... I find the 8GB thing excessive also but well, 8GB is on the rage atm, /shrug.

So the card performs exactly as a lot of us expected?
    well tbh no

I didnt hype it to 980Ti/1070 levels like some did, but I was almost positive it would be trading blows with stock 980/390X or at least be very very close to the 980

instead the reference is on 970/390 level or just slightly above that

however the price is so low that its a still a good p/p

the reference is horrible though with that awful tiny heatsink, noisy cooler and the PCI-E power issues .. AIB only for this one

10+ Year Old Account
    I still say both companies should just forego reference. Just ditch it, they suck. Or if there is going to be one, it shouldn't be a crappy blower unless it's on some 50W model.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    I still say both companies should just forego reference. Just ditch it, they suck. Or if there is going to be one, it shouldn't be a crappy blower unless it's on some 50W model.
    GPU market is bigger than enthusiast-targeted custom board market. I think they sell reference cards to other IT companies. This is what AMD official said in Reddit as far as I remember.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    GPU market is bigger than enthusiast-targeted custom board market. I think they sell reference cards to other IT companies. This is what AMD official said in Reddit as far as I remember.
    That is true, OEM market is pretty big and they're the biggest buyer for reference cards. Lame....

10+ Year Old Account
    Well reference blowers are not bad for what they are, you are guaranteed they are dual slot, blow air out of the case and do not interfere with other cards in the case. I had a nasty surprise with my custom 290X when I realized it's 2 and a 1/10 slot instead of 2 for example.

Besides, if Nvidia/AMD would start slapping custom cooling solutions it would make their partners sad... and I don't think it's in their interest to make partners sad.

It's about time I upgrade from my reference 7950. Only problem I have with it is that it's loud as hell. So I'm debating between the RX480 or the GTX1060... honestly both will run anything I throw at them easily so my only requirement is that the card runs quiet. The Sapphire card looks interesting, I'll have to wait for reviews though.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    Those are wrong. 1070 are going for those prices, over here at least.

Or well, they start at 480-490 euro and that is still high due to low stock. So a 1060 will at maximum cost 350 euro.

what? where is here? cheapest 1070 I can find is 460€

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taiknee View Post

Amazon's reviews on those RX 480's are hilarious. All the 1 star rating people kept saying, "overpriced do not buy, wait for stock". I expect that kind of overpricing on Ebay, not Amazon. Who's going to spend $300+ for a RX 480? But the prices of GTX 970's and R9 290's are dropping fast on Ebay. Particularly the R9 290's, which are already bellow $200. Not enough to make me want to buy one now, as a used R9 290 vs a new RX 480 makes no sense. Both the GTX 970 and R9 290 would have to be bellow $150 for a used card. For 50 more I get a new card that's faster.

Is there no way to improve the cooling on reference though? I mean, are we really seeing the pinnacle of blower-fan coolers? The heatsink itself is very small for one, relative to the size of the overall cooler. There's a lot of empty space on the coolers as a result.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Is there no way to improve the cooling on reference though? I mean, are we really seeing the pinnacle of blower-fan coolers? The heatsink itself is very small for one, relative to the size of the overall cooler. There's a lot of empty space on the coolers as a result.
    https://www.arctic.ac/eu_en/products/cooling/vga.html
    http://www.gelidsolutions.com/produc...p?lid=1&cid=17

There if you want superior to Reference design cooling on a reference card.
    The Gelid ones will get an update AFAIK if the Rev. 2 doesn't fit already.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by djar View Post
    It's about time I upgrade from my reference 7950. Only problem I have with it is that it's loud as hell. So I'm debating between the RX480 or the GTX1060... honestly both will run anything I throw at them easily so my only requirement is that the card runs quiet. The Sapphire card looks interesting, I'll have to wait for reviews though.
    I have Sapphire 7950 OC edition and planning to upgrade to 480 or 1060 too but seems prices on 1060 would be much higher than for 480. Hope that Sapphire will make "quiet" mode for 480 so fans won't spin till certain temperature

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    If you are a tinkerer, you can hack a custom cooling solution yourself. Like designing a compatible backplate for compact cooling solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    https://www.arctic.ac/eu_en/products/cooling/vga.html
    http://www.gelidsolutions.com/produc...p?lid=1&cid=17

There if you want superior to Reference design cooling on a reference card.
    The Gelid ones will get an update AFAIK if the Rev. 2 doesn't fit already.
    Uh, thanks, but I was more meaning that I can't see why these reference coolers are so consistently bad. Is there nothing they can do to improve on the design? Like mentioned, the heatsink in particular is always very small from my pov.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctifer616 View Post
    Efficiency is subjective. Just look at the Pro Duo, probably the most efficient card on 28nm simply due to low clocks and voltage. The 480 has a high default voltage. Lowering it decreases power usage by about 20% while lowering performance by just 5%.
    Having a larger chip with more conservative clocking/voltage is technically better but also pricier. The companies earn more money if they can make a smaller chip that clocks higher and performs well, even with a higher power consumption.

People might bash Apple a lot, but they indeed do some things right and one of those things are their SoC designs. They always go with large conservative chips, and they always outperform the competition.