Question Is it worth getting the legendary ring right now?

I took a break most of WoD and returned a couple of moths back. I'm on the chaos thomes legedary quest chain step but I wonder if really I should try to complete the chain or focus on getting alts to 100. While MoP legendary looked like a bath towel at least it was actually useful at the right moment for relevant content, the ring being gated by the raid it should help you clear is dumb and it doesn't seem to be as good as the cloack was, it being able to be activated by anyone with other ring in my party just makes it less appealing.

I'd thank any input to help me decide.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromedes View Post
    Welcome to the Alliance, faction of compromises and unfulfilled desires. Want Vrykul? Here is compromise in form of kul tiran half giants we never heard of. Wanna High elves? Here is compromise in form of void elves we never heard of. Wanna broken draenei? awww fuck it
    About ganking ("world pvp") being dead now
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    Maybe you could wear a mask and push over little kids while they walk home from school instead?

Would be a lot of effort for something that will be replaced at 110, but if you want to of course.
    You will want to see the questline surely either way. Its worth seeing once for sure, as it sets up a pretty important character in Legion.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Probably not - the fastest you can probably get it from start to end is around 1 calendar month on an alt, will take longer on a main as catch up mechanisms might not apply.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Probably not - the fastest you can probably get it from start to end is around 1 calendar month on an alt, will take longer on a main as catch up mechanisms might not apply.
    I'm already on the chaos thomes step but as I'm not raid ready, completing the questline with LFR isn't appealing at all, yet it would be the only way.
    Welcome to the Alliance, faction of compromises and unfulfilled desires. Want Vrykul? Here is compromise in form of kul tiran half giants we never heard of. Wanna High elves? Here is compromise in form of void elves we never heard of. Wanna broken draenei? awww fuck it
    Maybe you could wear a mask and push over little kids while they walk home from school instead?

That question would make sense if you were just starting the quest chain, but you're on a last step. Would you really give up now that you're nearly done?

Quote Originally Posted by rpdrichard View Post
    I'm already on the chaos thomes step but as I'm not raid ready,
    Ah - sorry, in that case - go for it. LFR the hell out of HFC for 3 weeks. You have all the way to 30th of August to complete the quest now you are on it.

PS: Misunderstood your reference to alts in the OP, sorry.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why are you asking when you're already on the tomes? You're like 75% done, assuming RNG doesn't screw you with tome drops. It took me longer to complete both BRF and Highmaul portions than getting 23/33 tomes in 2 weeks.

Though, if you're behind on the shipyard.... that could be a pain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Ok, I give up. This is pointless.
    Many Multitudes Online Constantly Harping About Minor Problems
    FIRE GIVES ME BIGGER BLOOD SHIELDS

Depends on how far in you are with the tomes and if you care about having the legacy achievement or not. It may be marginally helpful when leveling although I don't see it being useful for anything at 110.

Some guy on WoWHead summarized the probabilities awhile back and determined that you need 5 full HFC clears (5 weeks) to have a 50% chance of being done. If your RNG really really sucks it ends up being something like 6.5 or 7 full clears to get to a 99% chance of having all the tomes. You can technically get it on the third week (39 possible boss kills) but the probability of getting a tome from nearly every boss for 3 weeks is abysmal. Between 4 and 6 weeks is probably a safe bet if starting from 0.

Going from the July 5th reset to the Legion launch you have 8 weeks still. It's definitely possible, but you may have to commit yourself to running all 5 LFR wings each week. Unless you are already part way done with the tomes, in which case it becomes a lot easier.

Keep in mind that you would also need a level 3 shipyard to do the ship component of the quests with 1-2 day mission duration per step. It only takes like 1-1.5 weeks if you are diligent with it but it could be problematic if you put it off until the end.

Got the shipyard quests complete and 8 tomes already . I've been doing ocasionally LFR of the first two wings but the experience from MoP last wings from ToT and SoO is what holds me back from trying the others, also the gear, trinkets and weapons are bad and don´t actually help to smooth future LFR runs.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Why wouldn't you want to complete a legendary quest/acheievement that will be removed soon? If anything, you'll be able to brag that you did it at least. Also the ring on your main will be somewhat useful while levelling in Legion. If i were you i'd also upgrade it as much as possible.

I would get it. It's not hard or time consuming to get, and it goes away with Legion. Getting things that go away forever is always nice, for vanity and nostalgia reasons (and to boost your account value!!).

Doesn't make any sense to me to start the quest to begin with in that case.

I've been doing ocasionally LFR of the first two wings but the experience from MoP last wings from ToT and SoO is what holds me back from trying the others,
    Maybe try it actually before you get scared of it? LFR in WOD is mostly easy (at least the first 3 wings nowadays don't have much dangerous in them), and even in the last 2 wings (xul and archi) where people used to wipe it's sometimes enough you get 2 geared dps that came for valor to carry the whole team.

Durumu times are over in LFR.

Take Iskar as example, in LFR you can ignore every mechanic of this boss.

I was too running only 2 wings of SOO on alts but the reason was only 2 first were dropping runes for the cloak... rest of the LFR was pointless back then.

Got the shipyard quests complete and 8 tomes already . I've been doing ocasionally LFR of the first two wings but the experience from MoP last wings from ToT and SoO is what holds me back from trying the others, also the gear, trinkets and weapons are bad and don´t actually help to smooth future LFR runs.
    If you're already done with the shipyard quests, it would seem to be pure laziness not to finish at this point. Aside from getting the ring itself, running the LFRs enough to get the tomes will also net you some Valor to either upgrade the ring once or twice (too early to do the actual math, sorry) or upgrade some other items you may have and make them last longer into the leveling process in Legion.

Suck it up, Buttercup!

Quote Originally Posted by Tolian View Post
    If you're already done with the shipyard quests, it would seem to be pure laziness not to finish at this point. Aside from getting the ring itself, running the LFRs enough to get the tomes will also net you some Valor to either upgrade the ring once or twice (too early to do the actual math, sorry) or upgrade some other items you may have and make them last longer into the leveling process in Legion.

Suck it up, Buttercup!
    The data for the expansion prepatch is now downloading, guess I'll have to go throug LFR after all.

Thanks all for the input

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrilaife View Post
    Maybe try it actually before you get scared of it? LFR in WOD is mostly easy (at least the first 3 wings nowadays don't have much dangerous in them), and even in the last 2 wings (xul and archi) where people used to wipe it's sometimes enough you get 2 geared dps that came for valor to carry the whole team.

Durumu times are over in LFR.

Take Iskar as example, in LFR you can ignore every mechanic of this boss.

I was too running only 2 wings of SOO on alts but the reason was only 2 first were dropping runes for the cloak... rest of the LFR was pointless back then.
    Archimonde can be considered WoD's Durumu.

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    Archimonde can be considered WoD's Durumu.
    At start he was, then they nerfed him, you can't get half the raid shadowfel bursted from hugging, the worms don't spawn from p3 portals, if I remember correctly infernals got nerfed too.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrilaife View Post
    At start he was, then they nerfed him, you can't get half the raid shadowfel bursted from hugging, the worms don't spawn from p3 portals, if I remember correctly infernals got nerfed too.
    Why you think some players kill him 2-4 times per day on heroic if he is so easy and any lfg pug should be able to kill him? Yes I want you to say it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram View Post
    Why you think some players kill him 2-4 times per day on heroic if he is so easy and any lfg pug should be able to kill him? Yes I want you to say it.
    Huh? No clue what you at on? On heroic you actually need to do the mechanics while on lfr you mostly don't. After the nerfs you can not go to the nether, it ports you in. Doomfire and infernals got nerfed to be way less dangerous for people who cba to switch to adds. The shadowfiends from p3 portals got removed (on normal too). Shadowfel burst will only ever hit 1 person even if raid hugs.

Durumu was actually one-shotting people with the lazor even on lfr. You could not ignore that mechanic. Such mechanics are absent from modern day lfr, for the better or worse. It's "tourist mode" now. When archi lfr launched and people were getting 10 stacks of determination there was widespread call for nerfs, and nerfs came.