Page 1 of 2
LastLast

WoW needs more "Azeroth" related holidays.

Today I got to thinking how every holiday in WoW is related to a general holiday celebrated in the United States. There may be some other special ones related to the Asian and European regions too but I play on an American server so there we go.

They are all kind of bullshit though. I mean sure they can be fun, but I think the game is really missing out on adding a level of immersion by not staking out their own holidays based on events that have transpired in the game.

Think about it, we've dethroned the Lich King. Liberated Orgrimmar from a tyrant. Liberated Outland. Restored the Sunwell. Brought back the king of Stormwind. Opened up the gates of Ahn Quiraj and defeated an old god. Stopped the rampages of Deathwing the Destroyer.

Or even on sad notes, where's the Orc remembrance day for the time they were enslaved? The Theramore day of silence? Stromgarde day of mourning or the gathering at Light's Hope for a somber procession to the gates of Stratholme?

All of these are pretty big things, some for specific races, some for factions.

Wouldn't it be nice to see faction specific holidays or neutral holidays that not only highlighted the events of the past but also reflected server or world firsts?

Just think how much more it would add to the server first race if they announced that if your guild defeated the expansion end-boss first that the day itself would be memorialized for a week once a year with statues of the heroes going up in a neutral town or the capital cities?

Or as race specific holidays, where all are encouraged to come to Silvermoon and celebrate the rebirth of the sunwell? A night elf specific holiday for the first defeat of the burning legion? Gilneans gathering to mourn the loss of their country? Humans having a day of charity in Westfall as a reminder of the defias? Or just the trolls having a big bad mojo party? Tauren celebrating the founding of Thunder Bluff?

Just thinking there's a missed opportunity here to really make the world stand out that much more.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    Gameplay > Lore - one of Blizzard's core values.
    "Think globally" is another core value of theirs.
    They're not going to implement holidays that no one recognizes, they want to reach global audience.
    Everything is pre-chewed and cooked into a nice pot of mediocrity for a reason: to hit maximum amount of people out there.

Any extra stuff that they might produce will be done in books/comics/web stories, not in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkLazorz View Post
    "Think globally" is another core value of theirs.
    They're not going to implement holidays that no one recognizes, they want to reach global audience.
    Everything is pre-chewed and cooked into a nice pot of mediocrity for a reason: to hit maximum amount of people out there.

Any extra stuff that they might produce will be done in books/comics/web stories, not in the game.
    Actually all the examples I mentioned are ones that reach their core global audience and are completely separate of any baggage that other national holidays may bring.

The biggest problem I could see with this is if they offered good specific rewards I could see people hopping servers to stay within a specific holiday window for something like "server defeat of the LK."

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    Today I got to thinking how every holiday in WoW is related to a general holiday celebrated in the United States. There may be some other special ones related to the Asian and European regions too but I play on an American server so there we go.

They are all kind of bullshit though. I mean sure they can be fun, but I think the game is really missing out on adding a level of immersion by not staking out their own holidays based on events that have transpired in the game.

Think about it, we've dethroned the Lich King. Liberated Orgrimmar from a tyrant. Liberated Outland. Restored the Sunwell. Brought back the king of Stormwind. Opened up the gates of Ahn Quiraj and defeated an old god. Stopped the rampages of Deathwing the Destroyer.

Or even on sad notes, where's the Orc remembrance day for the time they were enslaved? The Theramore day of silence? Stromgarde day of mourning or the gathering at Light's Hope for a somber procession to the gates of Stratholme?

Wouldn't it be nice to see faction specific holidays or neutral holidays that not only highlighted the events of the past but also reflected server or world firsts?

Just think how much more it would add to the server first race if they announced that if your guild defeated the expansion end-boss first that the day itself would be memorialized for a week once a year with statues of the heroes going up in a neutral town or the capital cities?

Or as race specific holidays, where all are encouraged to come to Silvermoon and celebrate the rebirth of the sunwell? A night elf specific holiday for the first defeat of the burning legion? Gilneans gathering to mourn the loss of their country? Humans having a day of charity in Westfall as a reminder of the defias? Or just the trolls having a big bad mojo party? Tauren celebrating the founding of Thunder Bluff?

Just thinking there's a missed opportunity here to really make the world stand out that much more.
    I think in-game holidays tied to the lore is a brilliant idea. Doubt it will ever happen, but it's a great idea nonetheless.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

7+ Year Old Account
    Sadly I think things like this will never leave the RP realms. A lot of players don't care about immersion or lore.

Always thought there should be a holiday week for the end of the Third War and the first semblance of peace between the Horde and Alliance. In between Noblegarden/Children week and Mid Summer Fire or between Mid Summer and Harvest Festival.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    wE doN't kNoW wHaT pLaYeRs WaNt FoR cHarAcTeR CrEaTiOn MoDeLs

Good idea with even better suggestions. Blizzard should hire you to create some immersion and atmosphere in WoW, to be honest.

I doubt it'll ever happen though, since Blizzard prefers making puns, pop references and break the 4th wall more than they do creating an interesting and immersive gaming world. "Oh, this game celebrates the same things we do, how fun!" is a better way to draw casuals.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SharkLazorz View Post
    Lore (and artwork) is definitely in better state at the moment than gameplay.

Deleted
    WoW needs seasonal weather and storms. Rain is so pathetic and doesnt hold any atmosphere unlike misty vanilla rain.

Sounds nice.

/shrug

All those somber moments are lumped into the Harvest Festival. Runs a bit before Brewfest, corresponds in tone but not in date to Memorial Day. Does happen at the same time as some southeast Asian harvest festivals, which could be a coincidence.

Eh, even holidays people would consider "somber" like memorial day are generally celebratory.

Nobody likes to mourn the dead. Especially so in a world where an afterlife is a basic fact of life.
    Frequent Poster on Fluid Druid, The best Feral community out there

My Character

10+ Year Old Account
    I think this is a great idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it would be pretty cool if they implemented holidays that marked past milestones. It would be cool, but I also like that they have real world holidays in game but with a WoW twist. Like Grandfather Winter and the Greench.

Quote Originally Posted by The-Shan View Post
    They could make the 4th of July independence day for the horde defeating Hellscream.
    What is so important about 4th July?

See, that is the problem. Outside of the US of A, it is just another regular day.

7+ Year Old Account
    I think it would be a good idea.

Signature by Serryn

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by prejumpton View Post
    Lore (and artwork) is definitely in better state at the moment than gameplay.
    True - a fact that should make Blizzard devs think about their contribution to WoD. Such a huge fucking failure, both in design and delivery - completely betraying their core values.

Sad day when their carcaturic writing actually trumps gameplay.. Sheesh

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Sure...they could add that. But at the end of the day we are real people...attached to the real world.

"Hooray...It is the the 12th of October...we killed the Lich King!" - Yeah..it is totally never gonna match "Winter veil. Reindeers...Presents..." on the 25th of December

- - - Updated - - -

So..when did the Lich King fall? And why is it more memorable than killing C'htun? Or Yoggy? Or Ragnaros (twice). Or Deathwing? Or Illidan? Or pushing Kil'Jaeden back? Or Archimonde? We'd be shitting Memorial dates if we celebrated every one of the now 18 end bosses.

But they'd be great for dropping catch up gear ^^
    Today marks the day we killed Maloriak. We shall never forget the Slayers of incompetent stupid and disappointing minions.

Artwork created by Yochi
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveRocks View Post
    I personally find watching game streamers to be the lowest, saddest form of loneliness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually really like this idea, even if they don't have much for events or anything it'd be neat if they had it marked on the calendar and had NPCs celebrating these kinds of events
    give up dat booty
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    <3
    For the matriarchy.

I do believe that maybe an remembrance day or week is appropriate seeing how many people have died over the years in wars and that it could coincide with remembrance day or veterans day.