Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by coprax View Post
    Why don't you use the free upgrade to win10? Still valid until the end of the month. Works mit all versions, OEM included.
    new motherboard

Quote Originally Posted by The One Percent View Post
    If they can't be assed to provide the software you want in a safe medium, then they must not want money for it. If you know what I am saying.
    you can buy windows licenses from microsoft directly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wouldn't touch that site with a barge pole.

Quote Originally Posted by harkonen View Post
    new motherboard

Do you have a valid W7 Key or not?
    If it fails to activate on your new motherboard via online activation then call MS, and activate it via telephone. It's a computer voice, they don't ask any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by harkonen View Post
    The problem I have is that windows keys can be distributed to multiple people, and it may not be flagged as counterfeit key for months sometimes. I am tempted to just try it for the sake of £20, i just dont want to lose my work etc on my c drive if it stops working after 30 days.
    that is actually not how Win 10 works at all, actually.

It activates and locks to your motherboard immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    that is actually not how Win 10 works at all, actually.

It activates and locks to your motherboard immediately.

This is also incorrect.
    ONLY the free W10 Versions will lock to your Motherboard.

When you buy a retail Copy of W10 it behaves like any other OS before. You can install it and change your parts all you like.

Quote Originally Posted by coprax View Post
    When you buy a retail Copy of W10 it behaves like any other OS before. You can install it and change your parts all you like.
    Uhh.. no.

They have stated publicly several times there are no OEM versions of Win 10. Win 10 is Win 10 is Win 10.

They want you to buy a new OS any time you buy a new computer. Full stop.

Uhh.. no.

They have stated publicly several times there are no OEM versions of Win 10. Win 10 is Win 10 is Win 10.

Again...not correct

Retail Version = NOT bound to motherboards
    OEM Versions = Hardware-locked

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ccba6ee?auth=1

Deleted
    Since I just set up a dual boot system with Ubuntu’s latest version (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS), I can say the only hard part is setting it and you don’t need to be "smart" to figure it. You can follow Ubuntu’s documentation or use one of the various video tutorials. I wouldn’t recommend it if your a hardcore gamer as setting up Wine or PlayonLinux (programs that let you run Windows software/games on Linux) can be annoying and sometimes just not work for some games (Overwatch is a no-go for example). Otherwise, it’s good for everything else + it’s free.

Windows (Microsoft) is just a pain in the ass imo.

As for your question, find another safe source to get your Windows and avoid the shaddy sites (there may be one or two safe ones, but in general avoid em).
    Last edited by mmoc1647d17dd8; 2016-07-05 at 12:54 PM.

kinguin might be a little shady, it is weird that they have the keys for so cheap, but because they are so cheap, what do you really have to lose? Over 50%(more like 90%) of the people that use it do not have issues. Even if you do have an issue and you can not get it resolved by calling MS and if you call kinguin and they will not give you another key free of charge, buying a second key from them is likely to not give you issues and you've still spent less than a full retail version. You literally have nothing to lose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uhh.. no.

Nope. OEM keys are locked, the normal ones aren't.

10+ Year Old Account
    What do you do for a new computer, and a fresh build. If you already paid for the digital Key and it hasn't been used yet, what do you do to install the OS when you boot?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KoolKidKaos View Post
    What do you do for a new computer, and a fresh build. If you already paid for the digital Key and it hasn't been used yet, what do you do to install the OS when you boot?
    You need to download the ISO for Windows 10 and when you're installing it just enter the key that you bought. Just burn the ISO onto a USB memory stick with Rufus.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10
    https://rufus.akeo.ie/