Page 1 of 2
LastLast

10 years and still no emote animations

Well there is for some but it would be nice if my orc would acually pet my animals when /pet or that they add animations for kissing and hugging etc etc, is that so hard to add?

Just something i though about when playing on my hunter earlier, not a must have feature at all but it cant be that hard to add right?

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Well there is for some but it would be nice if my orc would acually pet my animals when /pet or that they add animations for kissing and hugging etc etc, is that so hard to add?

Just something i though about when playing on my hunter earlier, not a must have feature at all but it cant be that hard to add right?
    You want to kiss your pet? That's gross.

Quote Originally Posted by Igi View Post
    You want to kiss your pet? That's gross.
    lol nah just want to see my character acually pet my´animals when /pet, kissing and hugging was just examples dont really care about those

Would just add some immersion i guess.

Deleted
    -snip- Kappa

I think it's very difficult (and also potentially impractical) to create animations for emotes that directly interact with other players or objects.

Your character can easily wave, he doesn't have to move for that.

But for a hug animation? Either you would only be able to hug players that are extremely close to you, or your character would have to walk up to them. Then they would have to stand in a very specific way to each other (can't have a hug from behind, etc). Then there would have to be an animation for every different model HUGGING EVERY DIFFERENT MODEL. Cause a dwarf hugging a gnome female is different from a dwarf hugging a tauren male is different from a dreanei female. So, what, 13 races x 2 sexes, means 26 models, all having a unique hugging animation with every possible other combination? So, 26² animations? My math might be off, but you get the idea ... it would be crazy. And that's not even taking into consideration things like pygmy oil or all sorts of transformation toys.

Same with kissing. That's why the "stand there and blow a kiss" is already in the game, because it's practical. Actual kissing would absolutely not be practical, sadly.

Don't get me wrong, I think it would be awesome to have this, but I'm looking at it realistically and I think it would be WAY too much work for something so minor.

Use your imagination man

Quote Originally Posted by Awbee View Post
    I think it's very difficult (and also potentially impractical) to create animations for emotes that directly interact with other players or objects.

Your character can easily wave, he doesn't have to move for that.

But for a hug animation? Either you would only be able to hug players that are extremely close to you, or your character would have to walk up to them. Then they would have to stand in a very specific way to each other (can't have a hug from behind, etc). Then there would have to be an animation for every different model HUGGING EVERY DIFFERENT MODEL. Cause a dwarf hugging a gnome female is different from a dwarf hugging a tauren male is different from a dreanei female. So, what, 13 races x 2 sexes, means 26 models, all having a unique hugging animation with every possible other combination? So, 26² animations? My math might be off, but you get the idea ... it would be crazy. And that's not even taking into consideration things like pygmy oil or all sorts of transformation toys.

Same with kissing. That's why the "stand there and blow a kiss" is already in the game, because it's practical. Actual kissing would absolutely not be practical, sadly.

Don't get me wrong, I think it would be awesome to have this, but I'm looking at it realistically and I think it would be WAY too much work for something so minor.
    Yeah i guess it could mean alot of extra work adding it for all races and female/males and npc's, would be nice though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bullerick View Post
    Use your imagination man
    Trying to but petting the air is just meh.

Deleted
    I would like to see more animations and especially more voices for emotes.

Go play runescape. I'd rather them focus on more significant features.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uhm, that is a quite difficult thing to add to the roster. Not even sure any other large MMO does that... Heck, SWTOR doesn't even allow you to sit on furniture.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    The good news is, no one actually interacts with each other anyway. Emote animations really aren't needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemah View Post
    The good news is, no one actually interacts with each other anyway. Emote animations really aren't needed.
    Hehe yeah i guess that's true, just feel like a pet is a big part of the hunter class so seeing my char acually pet him when he have done a good job would be nice, maby he could lik my face or roll around happy or whatever as a thank you back, just a litte for immersion but as i said not a must have feature at all.
    Last edited by ParanoiD84; 2016-07-05 at 11:42 AM.

I'm sure the devs would have discussed something like this, but came to the conclusion it would take to much work and cost atleast 2 raid tiers.

Do you want another WoD? DO YOU!?

Don't hold your breath for another 10 years.

Yeah guess it's in the pile with the dance studio, aka will never happend.

Deleted
    FFXIV has these... if you "pet" smaller characters, your character will actually kneel down to get into "range" and all that stuff. It's freaking amazing - really (there is clipping, but it's still so much better). It actually makes the whole emote-stuff worthwhile. Minions will climb on your shoulders or head and everything is freaking cute and adorable.

WoW emotes might as well not be in the game at all in it's current form.

I believe the reasons why these don't exist in WoW yet is because character animations in this game are horrible in the first place. Even if it's an old game, they always have been awkward and looked lousy compared to most other games.

I'd actually pay for proper animations and battlestances tbh. Idling while the raid is getting ready to fight the boss and you start seeing Death Knights rising up their swords, resting it on their shoulders.. or ramming it into the ground so they can lean on it etc.

Orgrimmar rooftops would be populated so much more with stuff like this.
    Last edited by mmoc96d9238e4b; 2016-07-05 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZee View Post
    FFXIV has these... if you "pet" smaller characters, your character will actually kneel down to get into "range" and all that stuff. It's freaking amazing - really. It actually makes the whole emote-stuff worthwhile. Minions will climb on your shoulders or head and everything is freaking cute and adorable.

WoW emotes might as well not be in the game at all in it's current form.
    Yeah that's what im talking about, would be very nice and would add some immersion to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Hehe yeah i guess that's true, just feel like a pet is a big part of the hunter class so seeing my char acually pet him when he have done a good job would be nice, maby he could lik my face or roll around happy or whatever as a thank you back, just a litte for immersion but as i said not a must have feature at all.

I think for pets it might be a little easier, but still not "easy". You would have to have at least 2-3 different animations, for pets of different sizes. Can't use the same petting animation for a tiny robot rabbit and then a devilsaur or corehound.

Maybe an option would be to be able to throw your pet a treat if it's done something good, and then hearts coming from the pet. When I tried Hunter in Wrath, I was able to feed my pet and this would happen, it was cute. Of course, rolling around or licking the face would be even cooler, but again, would be very difficult to implement with all the various pets and various player races.

Quote Originally Posted by Awbee View Post
    I think for pets it might be a little easier, but still not "easy". You would have to have at least 2-3 different animations, for pets of different sizes. Can't use the same petting animation for a tiny robot rabbit and then a devilsaur or corehound.

Maybe an option would be to be able to throw your pet a treat if it's done something good, and then hearts coming from the pet. When I tried Hunter in Wrath, I was able to feed my pet and this would happen, it was cute. Of course, rolling around or licking the face would be even cooler, but again, would be very difficult to implement with all the various pets and various player races.
    Could be a problem petting Devilsaur's for example specially as a gnome , they would have to kneel down lowering their head so could be alot more work then i though.

I like the bone thing to that you said, that could work much easier.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Uhm, that is a quite difficult thing to add to the roster. Not even sure any other large MMO does that... Heck, SWTOR doesn't even allow you to sit on furniture.
    FFXIV has several different idle animations, sit animations, different emote animations if you sit or if the dude you are "using your emote on" is smaller/bigger than you etc.
    So it can't be that hard, they add new ones relatively frequently too and they are all Aww'sum. They are very fluid too, to the point that you believe they use motion capture (they probably do, I don't know). And you wouldn't believe it but players actually interact with each more often thanks to them. Because it's silly and fun, even if they aren't into RP.

WoW is currently truely lacking in that regard and has been for the last 6 years or so. Whenever they announce new spell-animations/character animations, they still end up looking like shite tbh. Most Legion spells/combat animations look really lackluster once more, I guess they really can't do alot with the engine, I don't know.
    It's actually quite interesting to see that the gaming community gladly welcomes stuff like emotes and character animations. It's the same with Overwatch:
    Skins, emotes, voicelines, potg animations, end-game screen poses. They love that kind of stuff, it's always worth a giggle and somewhat satisfying.
    Last edited by mmoc96d9238e4b; 2016-07-05 at 12:43 PM.