Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Yeah, I miscounted.

And yes, real time would have been easier. They probably consider the current system a mistake now as well, but changing it would cause more chaos. The only ways to fix it would be either a timeskip; which would stop WoW from being a continuous story. Or a correction of all the dates since vanilla; which would create confusion.

That means its easiest to stick to their current method. So they're highly likely to continue doing so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfheart9 View Post
    They're not in the twisting nether when they're trapped and imprisoned. They come back right after the defeat of Illidan, are captured, and held in the Warden's vaults. No nether there.
    They will always carry the Twisting Nether within their hearts. <3

Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    They did it with UVG. What they need is better historians checking the details.
    The one that's also full of errors? Such as Dagran being Brann's grandson when it should be his grandnephew, or Lillian Voss being dead when she's not, Arnak Grimtotem being noted as alive when he's dead, so on so fourth.

I'll consider the timeline they give me accurate when they themselves can even stick to it, until then I'm just going to keep my own stories/RP and so on to real time. I just can't swallow that Vanilla and the first two expansions only took 2 years.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Caerule View Post
    Yeah, I miscounted.

And yes, real time would have been easier. They probably consider the current system a mistake now as well, but changing it would cause more chaos. The only ways to fix it would be either a timeskip; which would stop WoW from being a continuous story. Or a correction of all the dates since vanilla; which would create confusion.

That means its easiest to stick to their current method. So they're highly likely to continue doing so.
    Or just go off of what's in game, as that should be what's cannon. (NPC saying Cata was 6 years after Vanilla, DH being 9-10, so on)

Then again seeing as they've already said they're making a new new official timeline and guide with the next two books of the chronicles, I'll wait for those.

The timeline doesn't make sense.

That means that the Horde and the Alliance can face worldending armies every year, and even continue with their conflict. That means the enemies we fight doesn't have much power, or the factions have some kind of multi cloning machine that gives them soldiers at low cost. It doesn't make any sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beelzabi View Post
    The timeline doesn't make sense.

That means that the Horde and the Alliance can face worldending armies every year, and even continue with their conflict. That means the enemies we fight doesn't have much power, or the factions have some kind of multi cloning machine that gives them soldiers at low cost. It doesn't make any sense.
    It's part of their secret warlock aging program. Abduct children and have warlocks rapidly age them to replenish their armies.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfheart9 View Post
    go off of what's in game, as that should be what's cannon. (NPC saying Cata was 6 years after Vanilla, DH being 9-10, so on)

Then again seeing as they've already said they're making a new new official timeline and guide with the next two books of the chronicles, I'll wait for those.
    The problem is that the quest programmers are different people than the lore devs. They make mistakes, which you see corrected later all the time. The goal of the quest programmers is to bring us gameplay, not lore.

They're not making a new official timeline. They've said they'd consider what to do with it a little more, last we heard on it. And this new comic makes what they decided pretty clear, as do the other official sources: They're sticking to the current system where the world of Azeroth evolves by an expansion's amount of content, pretty much yearly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    I thought years passed since WoD? Anduin is grown now..
    He was a toddler, 8-9 years old in vanilla. Now he is like 20+. This can be proven by other ingame children who have grown up over the course of the games, they began as children, now they have unlocked their adult forms, it should be more like 10 years have passed, not 6
    Last edited by mmoc35f68e9f3b; 2016-07-02 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Haajib View Post
    He was a toddler, 8-9 years old in vanilla. Now he is like 20+. This can be proven by other ingame children who have grown up over the course of the games, they began as children, now they have unlocked their adult forms, it should be more like 10 years have passed, not 6
    That.. Though they did say he was 10 at the start of WoW. This is one of those cases where yes, it's Blizzard's game, but the choice just makes no sense at all to have the timeline split from game activity (AKA the holiday events, so on). I'm usually a hard stickler on 'This is canon', but even they can't keep it straight anymore. From a storyteller's perspective it's almost offensive to say that cities can be burned and rebuilt, massive armies made time and time again, in the span of just two to three years.
    Last edited by Wolfheart9; 2016-07-03 at 12:15 AM.

The Cataclysm through Legion timeline should be longer.

What if Azeroth's years are longer than our years? Say 1 year on Azeroth is ~2 years of our time, we get reconciliation of real time and game time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    What if Azeroth's years are longer than our years? Say 1 year on Azeroth is ~2 years of our time, we get reconciliation of real time and game time.
    Azeroth celebrates the equivalent of all our seasonal holidays the same time we do.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    The TFT manual plainly states that it takes place months after the Battle of Mount Hyjal (UVG says the next year). Vanilla cinematic (and UVG) says it takes place 4 years after Hyjal.
    So then yes... Vanilla and TFT take place at the same time.

Vanilla Cinematic - '4 years after the mortal races banded together' ... The Third War campaigns would have arguably lasted for years.

TFT - some months / time after Hyjal ... Maiev's / Illidan's / Arthas' / Sylvannas' / Rexxar's campaigns would have lasted for years.

Would honestly be great if someone could just sketch all of this shit out visually...
    Last edited by Elestia; 2016-07-04 at 02:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elestia View Post
    So then yes... Vanilla and TFT take place at the same time.
    I think you misread his/her post though. It says Vanilla takes 4 years after RoC, not TFT takes place 4 years after RoC.

UVC says TFT takes place 1 year after RoC (Which places Reign of Chaos in years 20-21 | The Frozen Throne in 22 and Vanilla in 25)

Deleted
    IIRC Anduin was 15 at the time of Garrosh' trial.

Quote Originally Posted by TyrannicalPuppy View Post
    His age has been retconned numerous times.
    It really hasn't. His age has been updated at a very consistent rate across all the various books, such that the current timeline really shouldn't be a surprise whatsoever to anyone who's been paying attention. In fact, the entire timeline up through WoD being year 31 was already known when WoD released. Literally the only new information is how long after WoD Legion takes place.

EDIT: Just to cite my sources:
    *Anduin is 10 in the vanilla manual.
    *Anduin is 13 in The Shattering.
    *Anduin is 15 in Tides of War.
    *Anduin is 16 in War Crimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalecgos the Spellweaver View Post
    Yeah, more like a year break between each event and the other to be honest, and year of campaigning against it.

Like please, the game is now 12 years old, but only 7 years passed from vanilla to Legion?

Honestly this kind of breaks my immersion.
    It's because of all those server maintenances.

7+ Year Old Account
    Time means nothing. I'm a mage. I asked Khadgar how this one spell works to appear a bit younger so there are no issues .... :P

#TEAMGIRAFFE

Quote Originally Posted by My User Name View Post
    I think you misread his/her post though. It says Vanilla takes 4 years after RoC, not TFT takes place 4 years after RoC.

UVC says TFT takes place 1 year after RoC (Which places Reign of Chaos in years 20-21 | The Frozen Throne in 22 and Vanilla in 25)
    Well no, I'm saying the Vanilla states it begins 4 years after the mortal races banded together which may coincide with TFT campaigns despite the fact TFT begins some months after Archimonde's defeat at Mt. Hyjal.

It's completely non - discrete as to when the TFT campaign ends and where in that reference Vanilla begins. TFT was a long drawn out multi-faction conflicts taking place in the eastern kingdoms, northrend and outland over the course of a non-discrete amount of time..

Therefore, arguably Vanilla may coincide and conclude around the same time as the end of TFT. (Which, given my original explanation would make sense given the nature of Illidan's defeat and retreat back to Outland.)
    Last edited by Elestia; 2016-07-04 at 10:22 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    It really hasn't. His age has been updated at a very consistent rate across all the various books, such that the current timeline really shouldn't be a surprise whatsoever to anyone who's been paying attention. In fact, the entire timeline up through WoD being year 31 was already known when WoD released. Literally the only new information is how long after WoD Legion takes place.

EDIT: Just to cite my sources:
    *Anduin is 10 in the vanilla manual.
    *Anduin is 13 in The Shattering.
    *Anduin is 15 in Tides of War.
    *Anduin is 16 in War Crimes.
    Anduin is the real time measure in Azeroth.

As for the people who mentioned that we don't know if the Magni comics take place right before legion or a lot more, I remember that I saw that 4 years information in game before I saw it on the comics. I don't remember where, bu I'm quite sure I did have a "Oh so that's how long" moment while playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Azahel View Post
    Anduin is the real time measure in Azeroth.

As for the people who mentioned that we don't know if the Magni comics take place right before legion or a lot more, I remember that I saw that 4 years information in game before I saw it on the comics. I don't remember where, bu I'm quite sure I did have a "Oh so that's how long" moment while playing.
    I saw a mention of a four year gap in game too but I think it was between the fall of the lich king and present day (Legion). But considering the Shattering began shortly after the troops came back from Northrend I don't think the end of Wrath and start of Cata had more than a couple months between them.

I THINK this was mentioned in the Legion DK quests at Icecrown, but I forget where exactly I saw it.