Page 70 of 77 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Uh, thanks, but I was more meaning that I can't see why these reference coolers are so consistently bad. Is there nothing they can do to improve on the design? Like mentioned, the heatsink in particular is always very small from my pov.
    Well just think about it logically, they have the capability or can partner with one of the many vendors to improve it, but they don't want to and reason probably is to give their partners a room for maneuver.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Uh, thanks, but I was more meaning that I can't see why these reference coolers are so consistently bad. Is there nothing they can do to improve on the design? Like mentioned, the heatsink in particular is always very small from my pov.
    I dont think ive seen a reference cooler that has heatpipes, the heatsink in the RX480 is just a lump of aluminium, a small one at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Well just think about it logically, they have the capability or can partner with one of the many vendors to improve it, but they don't want to and reason probably is to give their partners a room for maneuver.
    ...No, that doesn't logically follow in any real capacity. Blower-fans are a very different beast from the coolers we normally see, and have a very specific use-case. Aftermarket cards will always have enough bells and whistles to have meaning in buying them over the reference card.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thorianrage View Post
    I dont think ive seen a reference cooler that has heatpipes, the heatsink in the RX480 is just a lump of aluminium, a small one at that.
    Yeah. The heatsink is actually really small from what I saw in videos. It astonished me that they had such a big cooler for such a small heatsink.

Quote Originally Posted by Listat View Post
    I have Sapphire 7950 OC edition and planning to upgrade to 480 or 1060 too but seems prices on 1060 would be much higher than for 480. Hope that Sapphire will make "quiet" mode for 480 so fans won't spin till certain temperature
    I have no issues with my 7950 (it runs everything I need, keep in mind I just play WoW and rocket league at 1080p). The only problem is it gets to like 80c while playing WoW and it gets loud. I bought the reference cooler, so I had it coming. So yeah, I think I'm going to be getting the Sapphire 480, it looks really nice. hopefully its quiet and has a fan off mode like you said. We'll have to wait for reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by djar View Post
    I have no issues with my 7950 (it runs everything I need, keep in mind I just play WoW and rocket league at 1080p). The only problem is it gets to like 80c while playing WoW and it gets loud.

cap your framerate at 60 so it doesn't run at 100% load all the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rumors suggest the 1060 will be out the 17th. That's pretty quick all things considering.

So I am currently running a GTX 680. I can pick up a RX480 for $499NZD and can also get a GTX 1070 for $849NZD.
    Any advice as to what one to go for?

Quote Originally Posted by captainrex View Post
    So I am currently running a GTX 680. I can pick up a RX480 for $499NZD and can also get a GTX 1070 for $849NZD.
    GTX 1070 if you have the budget, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by captainrex View Post
    What resolution and at what FPS do you play games? For 1080p at 60Hz a 1070 is kinda overkill. If you plan to play at higher resolutions and/or FPS I would suggest the 1070, or if you can wait, I would suggest to wait till Vega is out and prices drop on the current top end cards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctifer616 View Post
    What resolution and at what FPS do you play games? For 1080p at 60Hz a 1070 is kinda overkill. If you plan to play at higher resolutions and/or FPS I would suggest the 1070, or if you can wait, I would suggest to wait till Vega is out and prices drop on the current top end cards.
    I wouldn't wait for Vega to see a price decrease. If anything wait for the 1060.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    I wouldn't wait for Vega to see a price decrease. If anything wait for the 1060.
    The 1060 isn't going to drop the 1070/1080 prices, maybe the 480 prices.

10+ Year Old Account
    The 1060 isn't going to drop the 1070/1080 prices, maybe the 480 prices.
    For the 1070/1080's I would think that the RX 490 would be enough to drop prices. That's rumoured to be out sometime soon as well, but I wouldn't expect it much sooner than Holiday season. Considering the amount of 1070/1080's that are in stock and at MSRP, you might as well wait until October to buy one. Vega I think is 2017.

For the 1070/1080's I would think that the RX 490 would be enough to drop prices. That's rumoured to be out sometime soon as well, but I wouldn't expect it much sooner than Holiday season. Considering the amount of 1070/1080's that are in stock and at MSRP, you might as well wait until October to buy one. Vega I think is 2017.
    The 490 is Vega. There are two Vega chips just like with Polaris. There are 4 chips total (P10/11, V10/11). The entire lineup will probably be 8 GPU's.

10+ Year Old Account
    The 490 is Vega. There are two Vega chips just like with Polaris. There are 4 chips total (P10/11, V10/11). The entire lineup will probably be 8 GPU's.
    That's news to me. Where did you hear this?

That's news to me. Where did you hear this?
    Vega 10/11 has been known for quite a while.

Also the full Polaris 10 only has 36 CUs, so you can't use it for the "RX 490" either, hence it has to be Vega 10.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10145/...ris-comes-vega

Meanwhile AMD has also confirmed the number of GPUs in the Vega stack and their names. We’ll be seeing a Vega 10 and a Vega 11.

10+ Year Old Account
    490 will be small Vega, leaving big Vega for the new Fury or something similar.

10+ Year Old Account
    Holy crap, they already modded the 4GB cards. AMD's in trouble, as they should have just priced the 8GB models at $200. Not that the 8GB versions were worth it over the 4GB, but now they're really not worth it.

Holy crap, they already modded the 4GB cards. AMD's in trouble, as they should have just priced the 8GB models at $200. Not that the 8GB versions were worth it over the 4GB, but now they're really not worth it.
    Demand for those cards is high, why drop prices? As long as they sell well there is no point dropping prices, they can do that for the 1060 release if need be.