Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Ghostcrawler: "When I was there, the strategy was to minimize change"

Edit: misspelled Ghostcrawler in title. Sorry. If a mod could fix it I would appreciate it

https://twitter.com/OccupyGStreet/st...93793418379265

Ghostcrawler mentions in the above tweet that Blizzard's strategy with WoW was to minimise change. Since Ghostcrawler's departure however, there seems to have been a major shift in this strategy and the game has undergone major change, some of which have been very controversial (Legion class changes, flying, RNG rewards changes, etc.)

Do you believe that minimising change was the right strategy? Or are complete shake ups needed to keep WoW relevant?

Personally I don't think change for the sake of change is really productive (Garrisons, Order Halls, Shipyards, etc.). I think there should be a greater focus on what they do best. That is not to say that they shouldn't innovate. But it can't come at the expense of core content like it has in WoD.
    Last edited by styil; 2016-07-06 at 02:25 AM.

Shakeups are good to keep things interesting and fresh. Always the same game for who knows how manyyears wouldn't be fun imo.

People need to hop off the Ghostcrawler "train" and get over it.

Deleted
    I'm on the side of "complete shake ups" to keep the game new and fresh.
    It amazes me how the same formula worked for 10 years. Just goes to show that the game was ahead of it's time.
    But time passes and the game needs to keep old players interested because the majority of WoW's population are dinosaurs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    People need to hop off the Ghostcrawler "train" and get over it.
    The point isn't about Ghostcrawler, but about the company's strategy while he was there. Clearly there has been a shift in Blizzard's strategy in recent times. But us change for the sake of change the way to go?

GC is trying to save face but for the most part the changes that you call huge are nothing. They are nothing. By change he means a continent underwater. He means mounted combat. He doesn't mean no flying or class changes ffs

what alot of you guys seem to be missing is that most of these changes over the past 2 years of wow are not for the players benefit but simply for blizzards,as the game gets older and more bloated its becoming harder to manage so blizzard are doing the so called prune to make life easier for them and passing it off as new and exiting class changes.when legion releases you can truly say this game isnt a patch on what it used to be.

Changes are good and changes are bad. We need accept that not everything will be perfect, but not everything will be awful either. There are grey areas.

Watch the outcry if Blizzard ever decides to do something big. People lose their absolute SHIT when the slightest things are changed.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by natpick View Post
    what alot of you guys seem to be missing is that most of these changes over the past 2 years of wow are not for the players benefit but simply for blizzards,as the game gets older and more bloated its becoming harder to manage so blizzard are doing the so called prune to make life easier for them and passing it off as new and exiting class changes.when legion releases you can truly say this game isnt a patch on what it used to be.
    There's plenty for the players benefit. Many just don't agree.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Ghostcrawler was part of the problem of WoW's social demise. Perhaps 3 years before he left, he grew a conscious and a love for great MMORPG's before he left in 2013. Maybe he really did fight with management during that time, who knows.

As mentioned it could be to save face. Not for other reasons though, as speculated.

I fail to see why changes are necessary when something really magical exists already, personally. How a company can turn gold into lead is beyond me. Boosts here and there, but the overall value is always less everytime the game gets "dumbed down", little by little. Convenience is something left to retail stores IMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post
    Ghostcrawler was part of the problem of WoW's social demise. Perhaps 3 years before he left, he grew a conscious and a love for great MMORPG's before he left in 2013. Maybe he really did fight with management during that time, who knows.

As mentioned it could be to save face. Not for other reasons though, as speculated.

I fail to see why changes are necessary when something really magical exists already, personally. How a company can turn gold into lead is beyond me. Boosts here and there, but the overall value is always less everytime the game gets "dumbed down", little by little. Convenience is something left to retail stores IMO.
    If there was no convenience in WoW at all it would be a lesser experience overall.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

If they could stop overhauling every single spec every god damn expansion that'd be great. You have to switch classes every time a new expansion comes out because the spec you liked doesn't exist anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    You guys are really never going to let this idea go that a computer game can remain unchanging for 10+ years and that would just be fine, are you?
    When the changes are negative, I suppose that needs addressing.

"minimizing change" in my oppinion is waaaaay another thing than "ability prune over x classes". sorry, but no clue HOW good greg streets dope is...

10+ Year Old Account
    Less change is better.

Quote Originally Posted by natpick View Post
    a lot of truth in that words. sadly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    GC hired celetalon and holinka. Reason enough to get rid of him.
    a lot of truth in this words too however the fukin they could install smeone like chadd nervig (celestalon) there....

They did the whole minimize change thing for rogues since vanilla, i personally think that it was a huge failure, progress is good! though deleting things and not introducing options can be a bad direction.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Small iterative changes over time, taking into account the oceans of feedback players provide, are good.

massive sweeping changes that completely change a class someone's been having fun with for 10+years into something they can barely recognize? that's bad yo.

Change is not bad inherently. However doing too much too fast will alienate the people propping this game up.

Why is this ghostcrawler b-ing so much about his old company? still feeling sore or something? Its really getting old listening to him