Building new PC for

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03152381

is basically what my computer is right now. I know its horrible cuz its a store bought but its all i have right now .

I have basically no knowledge of how to build a computer so i would have to read a guide or watch a video. the most ive ever done is install an old graphics card in a previous PC i had before this one .

Budget: 400-800 US

I say this as a number i can shoot to save for . Cuz i dont have even the low point of the budget right now .

Resolution: 1920x 1200
    Games / Settings Desired: Currently i play WoW, LOTRO , Ark Survival Evolved ( and when i upgrade my pc or get a new one ill play Subnatuica as well. Subnautica lags too much right now for me to play)Maybe Fallout 4 for mods one day.

Basically i want something that can at least reasonably run Ark (my current PC can run it at all settings on low except for textures which i put at epic. Still runs okay enough to play without lag. Theres always lag at the start but after a minute or two it isnt lagging anymore . I play it single player)
    One that can run WoW at High maybe

One that can run Subnautica ( i dont really care much about the graphics with this. I just wanna be able to play it cuz it looks so cool and fun)

Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc): None whatsoever
    Parts that can be reused: None
    Do you need an OS?: I have Windows 7 home premium 64 bit
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)? Nope! I got all that. Just need the best kind of pc i can get for my supposed budget.

Ideally the best i can get for that price range without being too expensive.

Also is there a guide on this forum (im going to look for it as soon as ive posted) thatll teach me what to look for in good parts for PC ? Like how i can tell what would be the best bang for the buck, whats the difference between a regular graphics card and one that has windforce? Or like do i go for Corsair or EVGA for power supply's ? Stuff like that.

You are using the gt520 that came with your PC? You could get a massive jump in performance simply with a GPU upgrade, your CPU actually isnt all that terrible its a sandy bridge core i5 which is still enough for most games on the market. I suggest going with a gtx 750ti its only 100 bucks and will be a night and day difference over what you currently have, as a plus it does not require any power from the PSU so its as simple an upgrade as you can get:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...D=3938566&SID='

With a format of your current operating system and a GPU such as this, you could get a very smooth experience on medium-high settings on a lot of games on the market.

what would i format the os to?

Quote Originally Posted by Joker of Muerte View Post
    what would i format the os to?
    I just mean a fresh install, its not 100% needed if the GPU upgrade takes care of your gaming woes but a lot of times a fresh install of an operating system can make a huge difference in performance.....depending on how long the install has been active.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($238.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.49 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($59.88 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: OCZ TRION 150 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($62.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 950 2GB Video Card ($139.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($43.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $797.80
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-06 07:28 EDT-0400

If you can't afford the new build you should get a new videocard and wait until you can afford a new build.

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 480 8GB Video Card ($287.50 @ B&H)
    Total: $287.50
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-06 07:52 EDT-0400
    Last edited by Thunderball; 2016-07-06 at 11:54 AM.

could i keep my curren hard drive and not get the SSD or the hard drive you mentioned till later ? Or would i have to replace it ?

could i keep my curren hard drive and not get the SSD or the hard drive you mentioned till later ? Or would i have to replace it ?
    You could keep your hard drive, yes. Not getting an SSD I would strongly advice against.

Oh okay! Thank you

for the helpful build

Oh okay! Thank you

for the helpful build
    You're welcome. If you're going to avoid buying a HDD and have a little bit more to spare I'd get this memory instead. It's about $10 difference.

Deleted
    Two options:

1) Overclocking ability of cpu, aftermarket cpu cooler and better mobo. One gen behind on gpu.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($238.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($99.00 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($71.88 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($79.99 @ Adorama)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($149.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($70.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $805.81
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-07 04:38 EDT-0400

2) No overclocks on cpu, lesser quality mobo but still a good one. Significantly more gpu power. The one listed is a placeholder (reference cooler) you should wait for the aftermarket cooling solutions.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($215.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B150M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($76.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($67.88 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($79.99 @ Adorama)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 480 8GB Video Card ($269.99 @ B&H)
    Case: Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($70.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $811.80
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-07 04:44 EDT-0400
    Last edited by mmoc73263b3bd5; 2016-07-07 at 08:45 AM.

If plan you on just upgrading your current PC I would highly recommend also getting an SSD for the OS, games, and other programs. Something like 128 to 256 GBs, depending on what your needs are. That also makes a huge night and day difference to load times and the overall responsiveness of your machine. It will feel fast and snappy.
    Last edited by Speaker; 2016-07-07 at 08:46 AM.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

would this be a equal case to what thunderball suggested? or to what you suggested kostattoo?

This was a very informative thread about well basically everything to do with building a pc. To me at least haha

- - - Updated - - -

im also currently trying to research how to use the ssd as the boot drive and the HD as the storage drive. thats what yall mean about everything feeling snappy yeah?

Deleted
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

would this be a equal case to what thunderball suggested? or to what you suggested kostattoo?

This was a very informative thread about well basically everything to do with building a pc. To me at least haha

- - - Updated - - -

im also currently trying to research how to use the ssd as the boot drive and the HD as the storage drive. thats what yall mean about everything feeling snappy yeah?

I am not sure about the coolermaster case cause i moved away from that brand since halfX came out and had nothing decent all these years. Compared to the one i linked NZXT one is better. The problem with Corsair spec 01-02-03, for cheap series cases, is cpu cooler limitations. They got around 150-155mm clearance when most good coolers are at least 158-160mm.

Ah okay, only reason i suggested the corsair was cuz prime hs it for 39.99

Deleted
    It depends on what you end up with, setup wise. If you get a (k)cpu paired with a Z mobo you obviously will (and should since you payed for it) overclock. So you want a case with decent cpu cooler support. If you go non k its not a huge deal you can find non high performance aftermarket coolers that are lower profile. But depending what you go with they might be even more expensive just cause of that.