Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    yeah you might want to fix your spelling before you go into teaching. Also I live in NY state and Im pretty sure that you can teach with a DUI but its very unlikely to keep your job if you get one while teaching.

To be honest, your DUI doesn't really follow you from state to state. When I was stationed at Fort Campbell we had a lot of soldiers go home on R&R, get a DUI, lose their license in that state, and come back to Kentucky and get a license there NBD. I personally have an out of state DUI and it doesn't show up on my background checks because they are typically done local, and since it's a misdemeanor it doesn't show up on the national crime database either. That being said, I know several police officers who have DUIs, so it wouldn't surprise me if you can still teach even if you are open about it.

D.o.e?

Quote Originally Posted by Slybak View Post
    Depends on the state; all have a certification process that requires you to divulge such things, and its likely taken into account everywhere when deciding whether or not to grant certification. I don't know how lenient they tend to be, but I can say that in New York at least, if you're a teacher and you get a DUI while certified it's practically guaranteed that you will never teach in this state again. Especially since they stopped granting permanent certification a few years ago.

Call your state DoE. It never hurts to ask. And even if it did, it'll hurt a lot less than if you go through the certification process only to get denied at the last minute.

I was thinking about becoming a teacher, but I as well have a DUI on my record. What is the state D.O.E?

Infracted - thread necromacy
    Last edited by Crissi; 2016-07-06 at 05:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tara senko View Post
    Looking to teach high school math

1 dui is only thing on my entire record history. Nothing else

Is it possible?
    I'll make a couple of assumptions.

You used the expression DUI. Which means you are from the US. Which means English should be your first language. But your written communication skills seem to leave a lot to be desired for.

Furthermore instead of making inquiries on your own regarding the regulations and laws that apply to your school district, county, private school, state etc. you go on an international gaming forum and ask this question, without even bothering to provide the context required for someone to google the answer for you.

So I will kindly ask you to please stay away from the school system, if by accident you would somehow become a teacher, I don't think you would be an example for kids to follow or look up to, or a person they could learn much from.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post

You used the expression DUI. Which means you are from the US. Which means English should be your first language. But your written communication skills seem to leave a lot to be desired for.
    Well they're wanting to be a math teacher. They aren't particularly known for their written English.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rise, rise and fight once more!

Necro

Deleted

Furthermore instead of making inquiries on your own regarding the regulations and laws that apply to your school district, county, private school, state etc. you go on an international gaming forum and ask this question, without even bothering to provide the context required for someone to google the answer for you.

So I will kindly ask you to please stay away from the school system, if by accident you would somehow become a teacher, I don't think you would be an example for kids to follow or look up to, or a person they could learn much from.
    Dude posted years ago. He's probably got hammered again and wrapped his car around a tree by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    Mathematics has nothing to do with grammar or spelling.

OP, I would suggest speaking to a careers advisor, explain to them the nature of your DUI, and ask how this will effect your chances of becoming a teacher.
    Forgot that completely,

A internet gaming website / forum incorrect spelling has nothing to do with his spelling / grammar capabilities

Theres so many grammar Nazis here today it seems

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.

Is it possible?
    No idea why you are asking here of all places. You do know there are websites for teachers, don't you?

In regards to your question, to my knowledge, yes you can still teach. Keep in mind that if there is competition, you aren't going to be number 1 on their list of hires unless you are a really good teacher. If a school administrator is handed 20 resumes, and they all look the same, having a DUI isn't viewed as an accomplishment...

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    Forgot that completely,

A internet gaming website / forum incorrect spelling has nothing to do with his spelling / grammar capabilities

Theres so many grammar Nazis here today it seems

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Word_p...ics_education) Word problems are present from primary grades to college level math education.

The idea that grammar would be irrelevant to a teacher in any area is silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Rise, rise and fight once more!

Necro
    Lol!
    No one seems to realize that this thread is several years old...

I had a teacher who had multiple DUIs. His girlfriend drove him to work every day. He was 29 and looked very young so we called him "new kid" and always asked him where the teacher was. He did not like that.

I had a friend who got a DUI in college. He tried to get a job teaching band after he graduated and nobody would hire him.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    I had a friend who got a DUI in college. He tried to get a job teaching band after he graduated and nobody would hire him.
    There's the rub;
    Can he be hired? Sure.
    Will he be hired? Maybe not.

Is it possible?
    Yes and No. It just depends upon the district, the amount of time that has passed, the whims of the employer, your treatment for the problem or lack thereof, and the state of your license with the State.

P.S. Ugh... I just noticed the date on the OP.
    Last edited by In Ogres We Trust; 2016-07-06 at 12:58 PM.

Depends how long ago did you get charged with DUI? In PA if it's your first offense you are typically offered ARD, pay some fines, maybe a 60 to 90 license suspension, and maybe some drug or alcohol rehab. As long as you do not get in any trouble for 7 years I think it is, the DUI is removed from your record.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    There's the rub;
    Can he be hired? Sure.
    Will he be hired? Maybe not.
    I agree with you 100%
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Most states are so short-handed on teachers that failing drug tests after claiming workman's comp isn't a fire-able offense. They send them to drug classes or whatever.

I don't think DUIs are a big problem, unless you've got a lot of them.

I think a lot of the "free market enthusiasts" in this thread have a real false impression of the market they're commenting on.
    Last edited by Daerio; 2016-07-06 at 01:11 PM.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Word_p...ics_education) Word problems are present from primary grades to college level math education.

The idea that grammar would be irrelevant to a teacher in any area is silly.
    I think you missed my point,

Grammar and spelling in every subject is important as well as just professional. But what I meant was his spelling / grammar (or anyones) on a online gaming forum shouldn't be a reflection on his abilities, its just petty.