Quote Originally Posted by Otaka View Post
    And whats the guldan's fortress? i own the novels, i dont remember such fortress.
    The last scene in Chapter 23.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    Wrong. The 2.5 is always calculated on the initial production costs that is in the case of Warcraft 160 million dollars.
    We don't need to calculate 2,5 of anything, as we know the marketing budget.

The stories in Warcraft are actually better than the standard clichés found in Lord of the Rings. Like cliché good vs the evil Orc beasts. The White Knight King that lives on happely ever after and marrying his white virgin at the end...

Give me the story of corrupt Arthas and the human educated Orc Thrall or the initial Warcraft movie where Orcs are shades of grey and ... heroes at least die .....ANY time over this Star Wars/Lotr fairey tales

Metacritic viewers: 8.5 and IMDB 7.5 with almost 100.000 people voting, says ... Hollywood critics lost touch with present day Fantasy movies ....

Each time I try to review Lotr or The Hobbit I fall asleep. I never get time to fall asleep in Warcraft as the story telling and actions are simply faster AND better CGI.

Have you SEEN the Warcraft Dwarfs ? At least they don't even resemble shrunk humans ...
    You've never read lord of the rings have you? Hell even the movie has more depth than what Warcraft has done. You're confusing quantity of writing for quality. And missing the point that lord of the rings wasn't about good vs evil. It was more so about internal struggles. Something blizzard has never ever done. The closest they got was Arthas, but he didnt really struggle with anything, he just went from good to evil and never questioned what he did.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

Metacritic viewers: 8.5 and IMDB 7.5 with almost 100.000 people voting, says ... Hollywood critics lost touch with present day Fantasy movies ....
    What those say is the movie had a small group of highly-motivated-to-vote-for-it fans. This doesn't mean it wasn't ridiculous and preposterous and artistically bad. Nor does it mean the movie would appeal to the average viewer.

The rapid decline in box office over time is strong evidence there wasn't good word of mouth. Had the actual movie experience been better than the reviews, the decline would have been slower as people who had initially shunned the movie (based on reviews) came around after hearing about it from friends.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    You've never read lord of the rings have you? Hell even the movie has more depth than what Warcraft has done. You're confusing quantity of writing for quality. And missing the point that lord of the rings wasn't about good vs evil. It was more so about internal struggles. Something blizzard has never ever done. The closest they got was Arthas, but he didnt really struggle with anything, he just went from good to evil and never questioned what he did.
    In the books he struggle a little,but its because he always thought he was doing the right thing to protect those he loved.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    The last scene in Chapter 23.

- - - Updated - - -

We don't need to calculate 2,5 of anything, as we know the marketing budget.
    The formula is used by the latest articles on imdb.

And that is initial production costs x 2.5 = total to be earned before making profits. The 2.5 stands for all extra cost of marketing, distribution and cinema profits.

So the articles are very clear: 160 million x 2.5 and anything over that = profit in the case of Warcraft.

Hence they conclude that the sequel is highly likely.

And as the owner of Warcraft is ALSO the owner of most distribution networks in China (theaters) , there is no doubt Warcraft is actually making MORE profits than the standard 2.5 factor of our western movie industry.

Your fights have been in vain: Warcraft 2 is just a matter of time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    What those say is the movie had a small group of highly-motivated-to-vote-for-it fans. This doesn't mean it wasn't ridiculous and preposterous and artistically bad. Nor does it mean the movie would appeal to the average viewer.

The rapid decline in box office over time is strong evidence there wasn't good word of mouth. Had the actual movie experience been better than the reviews, the decline would have been slower as people who had initially shunned the movie (based on reviews) came around after hearing about it from friends.
    Stop making excuses for the fact Warcraft was a success in Europe and China and Russia.

The decline is a fact for almost every movie really.

3-6 weeks exposure, then DVD after 3-4 months, then paid home cinema then normal TV circuits.

The movie was great for a Warcraft fan and you have been hate trolling in here for 5 years already.

Get a life for once.

Don't be an asshole beause 100.000 viewers gave it a very good 7.5 on IMDB.

And that is initial production costs x 2.5 = total to be earned before making profits. The 2.5 stands for all extra cost of marketing, distribution and cinema profits.

So the articles are very clear: 160 million x 2.5 and anything over that = profit in the case of Warcraft.

And as the owner of Warcraft is ALSO the owner of most distribution networks in China (theaters) , there is no doubt Warcraft is actually making MORE profits than the standard 2.5 factor of our western movie industry.

So you are still ignoring the fact that $160m wasn't the total cost? That you need to include a figure for marketing that would be ~$100-110m?

Shouldn't be surprised considering that a page or so back you couldn't work out what 2.5 x $160m actually is. If you struggle with maths that basic, economics is always going to be tough.

Feel free to read back through the thread, you may well learn a fair bit.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Stop making excuses for the fact Warcraft was a success in Europe and China and Russia.

Ah, BenBos projection. Gotta love it.

You're the one making excuses here sweetie. The week-to-week decline for Warcraft was notably rapid, even overseas.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler

- - - Updated - - -

3-6 weeks exposure, then DVD after 3-4 months, then paid home cinema then normal TV circuits.

The movie was great for a Warcraft fan and you have been hate trolling in here for 5 years already.

Get a life for once.

Don't be an asshole beause 100.000 viewers gave it a very good 7.5 on IMDB.
    This. The movie covered it's costs and actually made a profit. It's, without a doubt, the best game movie and the most successful one. And it's sequel will be glorious.

Just don't mind the 3-4 haters that keep posting disinformation here because they hate wow.
    English is not my first language, feel free to point out any mistake so i can keep learning.

Quote Originally Posted by Darktbs View Post
    In the books he struggle a little,but its because he always thought he was doing the right thing to protect those he loved.
    It wasn't just Frodo, though you are underselling it heavily. Legolas and Gimli struggled to trust one another and end up one of the greatest friendships in middle earth. Aragorn struggles with his legacy. Gandalf and the betrayal of Saruman, who believed he was doing what was right. Faramir struggling to get out from his brothers shadow. Sam maintaining his sense of positivity and loyalty towards Frodo and so on.

Saying Warcraft has better writing than LotR is just... mind boggling. I am by no means saying that LotR is some sort of god of writing, but Warcraft better? The fuck?

I read the 3 books of Lotr back in 1974-75 already. Even before the first animated Lotr movie came out.

It was quite good back then, but I find the different stories in Warcraft far better now. Lotr is CLICHE and OLD HAT.

Orcs are simple beasts, The good vs evil is rather pathetic and full of White Knight sillyness.

Present day Lotr is quite boring both to read and to view the movies. Certainly the Hobbit trilogy is rated UNDER the Warcraft movie for any (ex) Warcraft player.

Quote Originally Posted by Morkrul View Post
    This. The movie covered it's costs and actually made a profit.
    We don't know that. We especially don't know how much effort/resources Wanda pumped in to inflate the China box office, but from reports it seems considerable. If Wanda's take (being the owners of Legendary) is to be considered on the plus side of the profit/loss accounting, then their expenditures have to be included as well.

I read the 3 books of Lotr back in 1974-75 already. Even before the first animated Lotr movie came out.

It was quite good back then, but I find the different stories in Warcraft far better now. Lotr is CLICHE and OLD HAT.

Orcs are simple beasts, The good vs evil is rather pathetic and full of White Knight sillyness.

Present day Lotr is quite boring both to read and to view the movies. Certainly the Hobbit trilogy is rated UNDER the Warcraft movie for any (ex) Warcraft player.
    Good vs evil wasnt the focus of LotR. That was a framing device more than anything. Its like saying cantenbury tales is bad because people traveling together is boring.

Though praising Warcraft story while dismissing LotR for being cliche is extremely ironic.

Even further bringing in the good vs evil which is entirely what WC is about. Villains are constantly evil for the sake of evil. Or with saturday morning villain tier reasoning.
    Last edited by Toppy; 2016-07-06 at 01:46 PM.

We don't know that. We especially don't know how much effort/resources Wanda pumped in to inflate the China box office, but from reports it seems considerable. If Wanda's take (being the owners of Legendary) is to be considered on the plus side of the profit/loss accounting, then their expenditures have to be included as well.
    and lets not forget this movie had contracts and deals well in place, well before Wanda group purchased Legendary. Those don't suddenly disappear because legendary got bought up. Any additional kick back/profit wanda group "might" get because it is a China based company may not mean much of anything in this case.

A future endeavor might be different but not in this case.

Ah, BenBos projection. Gotta love it.

You're the one making excuses here sweetie. The week-to-week decline for Warcraft was notably rapid, even overseas.
    Warcraft was 3 weeks number ONE in the box office in Germany, it was a huge succes in Russia and by then Euro 2016 started, which is the biggest football Euro sports EVENT every ... 4 years and lasts 3 weeks. Since 24 EU countries compete, evertying else stops in Europe. Hell 98.5% of the Icelanders watched their matches on TV

Of course you have no idea but lack of a life outside makes you the the well known Warcraft hater we all know .

160 million initial production cost X 2.5 ( which includes the MARKETING, distribution and theater profits) make for a VERY WELL KNOWN profit in the case of Warcraft.

And it makes me glad the usual Warcraft haters have no longer a life

------
    At Vegas82 above: the movie industry watchers don't agree with your pathetic 160+100 million calculations dude, because they stuck with the 160 x 2.5 calculations ...

Attack the industry watchers, not me
    Last edited by BenBos; 2016-07-06 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Otaka View Post
    What are you talking about, they havent deviated "alot" from the original lore... And whats the guldan's fortress? i own the novels, i dont remember such fortress.
    Sorry I haven't read the novels so I don't know what this Guldan's fortress is either. I didn't mention it, another user did.
    As I said what I've posted are only speculations based on Duncan Jones' interviews about an eventual sequel and the impressions I got from the ending of the first one.
    And a LOT of imagination from my side too.
    As I interpret that ending (and I repeat, these are only my speculations, I'm not pretending this to be the only and unbreakable truth), the Alliance is already formed. So we have a whole continent against a very little fraction of the Horde.The rest of the Horde has no chance of crossing the portal anymore without Medivh (I know, in the original lore it wasn't this way, the portal once opened stood that way until Khadgar closed it without needing a second summoning from Medivh. It was a free transit frontier, but in the movie it works another way).The war as I see it is already decided.
    The key to the destruction of Stormwind was the assassination of King Llane. That event demoralized the troops to the point of loosing the city. ("The orc leaders agree with your assessment" etc...). So there is a high chance of that never happening on the movie alternative universe.
    Also I didn't get the impression of Orgrim becoming a leader.On the opposite I read it as him becoming rogue, and going to look for Durotan's son.Duncan wrote he would have a 'tutor' role on the sequel.
    Also I suppose he would want a more focused and linear story and with far less characters than in the first movie, given the majority of the bad critics to the movie (I'm talking about the constructive ones, not the haters) came from the fact that the movie has too many characters and those aren't entirely well developed due to lack of time. Also the pacing was too fast.Too many events for a 2-hour movie. Adapting the Second War as it is in the original lore would be even worst than the First War on that matters. On the opposite, Lord of the Clans, would give him the chance to focus on one main character, with three or four secondary ones and a main villain (Aedelas Blackmoore), and avoid so many jumps in the story between different locations.
    He needed to introduce the world, the arrival of the Horde and portray the first encounter between those two cultures (humans and orcs). Now that the hardest work is done, he has more freedom for the rest of his trilogy.

These are just my 2 cents, not an undeniable truth.
    Last edited by Vitrino; 2016-07-06 at 01:55 PM.

It wasn't just Frodo, though you are underselling it heavily. Legolas and Gimli struggled to trust one another and end up one of the greatest friendships in middle earth. Aragorn struggles with his legacy. Gandalf and the betrayal of Saruman, who believed he was doing what was right. Faramir struggling to get out from his brothers shadow. Sam maintaining his sense of positivity and loyalty towards Frodo and so on.

Saying Warcraft has better writing than LotR is just... mind boggling. I am by no means saying that LotR is some sort of god of writing, but Warcraft better? The fuck?
    LoTR is better writen,if is better then Warcraft or not falls to personal opinion.I like LoTR but i hate the way magic works there.

LoTR,as you say,is more emotional but is simple in a way,Good vs Evil.

Warcraft is less emotional in a way but there are diferent point of views,the Orcs are not all bad,the humans are not all good,even the demon lord of the burning legion have a backstory that explains why he does what he does.

Orcs are simple beasts
    There is a scene in IV 10 that shows us that Orcs are intelligent beings with free will.

And TV actors are nowhere close to what you need to make an epic movie.

LoTR is better writen,if is better then Warcraft or not falls to personal opinion.I like LoTR but i hate the way magic works there.

LoTR,as you say,is more emotional but is simple in a way,Good vs Evil.

Warcraft is less emotional in a way but there are diferent point of views,the Orcs are not all bad,the humans are not all good,even the demon lord of the burning legion have a backstory that explains why he does what he does.
    And then the writing falls apart when you have the "noble orcs who arent bad" constantly being bad. Sargeras' reasoning itself is bad and relies on him being an idiot. The good guys are good because they are supposed to be good. The bad guys are bad because they are supposed to be bad. New villains are often good guys who suddenlly become evil for little to no reason. That is how Warcraft works. The difference is that Warcraft is much more about the heroes and villains and neither of the two ever grow as characters. If they do ever grow, its always a sudden alignment shift.

but there are diferent point of views,the Orcs are not all bad
    I'm sorry, but Orcs in this movie are pure, unadulterated, elementally evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    I'm sorry, but Orcs in this movie are pure, unadulterated, elementally evil.
    No, they are not. Durotan and the frostwolves are not evil.
    English is not my first language, feel free to point out any mistake so i can keep learning.