Page 6 of 162 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Had a decent go of it this arvo, walking around with mates getting the hang of it so they could play with their kids. It's not something that really interests me, I've caught a few but it's too cold to actually go anywhere today so I didn't try out much. I have a pokestop right across the road tho, in the middle of the cemetery. Fun for the whole family.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    I found an apk link so i'm trying it now.
    I was aware of that earlier but I don't want to even entertain the idea of doing something shady to get Pokemon Go on the off chance it might get me banned.

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    I was aware of that earlier but I don't want to even entertain the idea of doing something shady to get Pokemon Go on the off chance it might get me banned.
    Ah it's nothing fancy - it's the beta/preview apk when it's out you just uninstall it and download the new one. Worst case scenario you have to restart everything.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Think the app run's somewhat decent on old mobiles to? Might try it...have a old Iphone 4 I had for free that is now used for 4 years mmm
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    Think the app run's somewhat decent on old mobiles to? Might try it...have a old Iphone 4 I had for free that is now used for 4 years mmm
    I'm running it on a nexus 4 and have no issues apart the obvious fact that it doesn't run as good as it could. There's a "battery save" option that makes it definitely less taxing on your phone (though performance degrade pretty fast).

Now. I have a Vuplix and a Starmie around here and i want them. I just cannot run out of the office for no reason XD

You earn money in the game, people. Defend gyms, earn coins. Plus Pokestops are literal loot pinatas.
    How common are pokestops anywhere that Isn't new york? Not to mention most functions of the game, such as gyms, probably Heavily rely on others, and a lot of them, being in your local area.

Even if you can earn money in game, I'm not a fan of cash shops in free games since they almost always end up being p2w to some degree.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    How common are pokestops anywhere that Isn't new york? Not to mention most functions of the game, such as gyms, probably Heavily rely on others, and a lot of them, being in your local area.
    Load up a copy of Ingress and see how many nodes are in your area. Pokemon Go will have less, but that's a good way to judge.
    Even if you can earn money in game, I'm not a fan of cash shops in free games since they almost always end up being p2w to some degree.
    Such as?
    Last edited by unholytestament; 2016-07-06 at 01:10 PM.

Such as?
    What do you mean such as? Like, if you want an example on any platform, google can get them easily for you. Its common knowledge that more then a few free to play games have a system set up to be p2w. If not p2w, then pay to avoid a Very harsh inconvenience.
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

What do you mean such as? Like, if you want an example on any platform, google can get them easily for you. Its common knowledge that more then a few free to play games have a system set up to be p2w. If not p2w, then pay to avoid a Very harsh inconvenience.
    I have issues with weasel words and generalizations being passed off as "common knowledge".

Especially when it's being used to condemn games you don't know much about. Even more so when no examples are given, just the direction to Google. Makes me question if you have any actual knowledge on the subject or you're just relying on "common knowledge".

They're basically just landmarks on google maps. I have a gym down the road outside a pharmacy and a pokestop across the road inside a cemetery and a mate has a local skatepark as his pokestop.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    They're basically just landmarks on google maps. I have a gym down the road outside a pharmacy and a pokestop across the road inside a cemetery and a mate has a local skatepark as his pokestop.
    Niantic hasn't commented on it so everything we have so far is speculation, but the people in the beta said Pokestops and gyms were already existing nodes in Ingress. But only 30-50% of Ingress nodes got converted over to Pokemon Go, likely due to node density (ie: higher node density means less converted, so as not to have too much free loot in such a small area).

Niantic hasn't commented on it so everything we have so far is speculation, but the people in the beta said Pokestops and gyms were already existing nodes in Ingress. But only 30-50% of Ingress nodes got converted over to Pokemon Go, likely due to node density (ie: higher node density means less converted, so as not to have too much free loot in such a small area).
    There's actually 3 pokestops just across the road from me, all in the cemetery area. I was just guessing what they were doing, no idea what ingress even was.

So you get loot by visiting pokestops? So a quick drive down there would net me quite a bit of loot.

I have issues with weasel words and generalizations being passed off as "common knowledge".

Especially when it's being used to condemn games you don't know much about. Even more so when no examples are given, just the direction to Google. Makes me question if you have any actual knowledge on the subject or you're just relying on "common knowledge".
    Google has all the examples you need. Its not a weasle word. Its common fact. The Fact is, a lot of free to play games use sleazy methods that are p2w, or pay to over ride a Huge time sink just to survive. That is how they make revenue. Its common knowledge to any gamer. I merely pointed out that I am leery of Newly released free to play games because I don't want to get too involved until I know to what extent their cash shop is involved. I don't want to get invested in a new game just to find out that certain features or power aspects are locked behind a pay wall.

Thus, knowing this game has a cash shop, I will wait on trying it out until more details are out there about this games cash shop. You said Such as. You want a list of games, google them. I'm not going derail the subject at hand and go into detail about the numerous games that do this. I will instead focus on my concerns and thoughts about pokemon go specifically.

It's really no secret that pokemon go has not had very much information released up until this point. So I am going to wait to see if this game is p2w as well, or if the cash shop can be 100% ignored with no real impact on the games over all functionality and playability.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    I am hoping we get more info soon. Like how they work exactly, what all they can or cannot do. They have been pretty silent about this game.

I can find it on the Play Store on my comp, but on my phone its not showing up on the Play Store.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryzek View Post
    I can find it on the Play Store on my comp, but on my phone its not showing up on the Play Store.
    If you log with your account, he would tell you that the app is not available in your country still.

Google has all the examples you need. Its not a weasle word. Its common fact.
    The weasel words being when you say "almost always" and "to some degree". There's no arguing against those because any examples I could bring to the contrary would either get classified as the minority or you would argue the degree to which it is pay to win.
    The Fact is, a lot of free to play games use sleazy methods that are p2w, or pay to over ride a Huge time sink just to survive.
    And in a lot of cases the "huge time sink " is actually just playing the fucking game.
    That is how they make revenue. Its common knowledge to any gamer. I merely pointed out that I am leery of Newly released free to play games because I don't want to get too involved until I know to what extent their cash shop is involved. I don't want to get invested in a new game just to find out that certain features or power aspects are locked behind a pay wall.
    Yeah, just go ahead and ignore the wealth of games that only offer convenience and cosmetic stuff for money and make their revenue that way.

This is where you deploy those weasel words to call these games a minority somehow, or argue the convenience items are still pay to win, right?
    Thus, knowing this game has a cash shop, I will wait on trying it out until more details are out there about this games cash shop. You said Such as. You want a list of games, google them. I'm not going derail the subject at hand and go into detail about the numerous games that do this. I will instead focus on my concerns and thoughts about pokemon go specifically.

It's really no secret that pokemon go has not had very much information released up until this point. So I am going to wait to see if this game is p2w as well, or if the cash shop can be 100% ignored with no real impact on the games over all functionality and playability.
    Which is exactly why you ignored the first half of my post where I pointed out how you could check out Ingress in your area to get a better idea than anyone in this topic would. Instead you got defensive and bitchy.

Try not to ignore this:
    http://venturebeat.com/2016/06/10/ho...hood/view-all/
    Microtransactions

Pokémon Go is free-to-play, with microtransactions. Niantic said it’s still figuring out the pricing, but it noted that you’ll only be able to buy basic Pokéballs — the better Pokéballs are only at PokéStops in-game — which means that you won’t be able to simply pay more to get better balls. You will be able to pay to expand your backpack and the number of items you can hold, as well as the carrying capacity for your Pokémon. The store will have other items, too, like incense that lets you attract Pokémon to your current location and additional egg incubators (you start the game with one) as well.

“We tried not to be paid-to-win,” Hanke said. “We’re trying to provide things that are helpful, save time, just basically make it more efficient, perhaps, to play. They aren’t like shortcuts to ultimate global domination. We try to reserve that for hard work and skill.”

And as for a release date, Niantic won’t say when Pokémon Go will fully launch.

“All I can say today is when it’s ready,” Hanke said. “I think we’re getting closer, obviously as we roll out of the beta you can sense some tempo there. But we haven’t nailed the final date yet.”
    Last edited by unholytestament; 2016-07-06 at 02:19 PM.

And in a lot of cases the "huge time sink " is actually just playing the fucking game.
    This is the only part I am going to touch on. Like I said, I'm not going to derail the thread, don't need an infraction to prove a point google already does.

Right now, the only way to revive a fainted pokemon is using a potion, from what I can gather. The only real way to get them that I can see is a pokestop. This is part of the very slim information we have thus far. I don't want to have to Play the game for 3 days straight to earn maybe 1 potion normally. Yes, usually the time sinks are over come by playing the game. However, they are labeled a time sink because they are just that, a Time Sink. Meaningless tasks, or repetitive tasks that soon get boring that you are Forced to do for days at a time for minimum reward.

If that were to be in pokemon go, I wouldn't enjoy it. I enjoy my time being rewarded in a manner that is acceptable. Something like an hour or two gets 1 potion. Not a day or more for 1. However, those are assumptions. It may be simple enough as just going to a pokestop again. Even that though is still an unknown at this point.

Also, on the other, i'm not going to download another game in the hopes that it will shed some light on this game. I will wait for the players of Pokemon Go to shed some light on this. Not give them free downloads of Ingress to boast their ability to brag about how many people downloaded it.

For those outside of US/Aus: https://m.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/com...n_all_regions/

Tried it in Sweden and it's working amazing! Found a Rhyhorn in my room

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    If you log with your account, he would tell you that the app is not available in your country still.
    Ah ok. Gonna keep waiting then.

This is the only part I am going to touch on. Like I said, I'm not going to derail the thread, don't need an infraction to prove a point google already does.

Right now, the only way to revive a fainted pokemon is using a potion, from what I can gather. The only real way to get them that I can see is a pokestop. This is part of the very slim information we have thus far. I don't want to have to Play the game for 3 days straight to earn maybe 1 potion normally. Yes, usually the time sinks are over come by playing the game. However, they are labeled a time sink because they are just that, a Time Sink. Meaningless tasks, or repetitive tasks that soon get boring that you are Forced to do for days at a time for minimum reward.

If that were to be in pokemon go, I wouldn't enjoy it. I enjoy my time being rewarded in a manner that is acceptable. Something like an hour or two gets 1 potion. Not a day or more for 1. However, those are assumptions. It may be simple enough as just going to a pokestop again. Even that though is still an unknown at this point.

Also, on the other, i'm not going to download another game in the hopes that it will shed some light on this game. I will wait for the players of Pokemon Go to shed some light on this. Not give them free downloads of Ingress to boast their ability to brag about how many people downloaded it.
    You wouldn't have a point even if your hypotheticals were true. You are just confirming that playing the game is a huge time sink to you.

But I love the bitchy attitude about downloading Ingress. You're willing to make up a horribly inaccurate hypothetical situation than discover the truth. Pretty funny, really.