Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsubodia View Post
    because when you have ppl doing shit like "gender studies" and other such other bullshit university courses, your not actually getting a more educated workforce.
    Can we all just fuck off with the Gender Studies thing?

Do people REALLY think that because college can be free, that all students would take gender studies?

I understand that Gender Studies is this years (and last years) running joke, but really, 300+ million people, all unique in their own ways. Some might go for Gender Studies, but the rest will go for a variety of different subjects. You know, just like how it currently is.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post

Do people REALLY think that because college can be free, that all students would take gender studies?

I understand that Gender Studies is this years (and last years) running joke, but really, 300+ million people, all unique in their own ways. Some might go for Gender Studies, but the rest will go for a variety of different subjects. You know, just like how it currently is.
    there are plenty of other joke degrees out there that people do. to give some examples...

Parapsychology
    Doctorate of Philosophy in Ufology
    Surfing Studies
    Queer Musicology – UCLA < literally what the fuck?!
    Star Trek
    Golf Management
    Art History

all legit courses offered. SO why the hell should tax payers pay so someone can study something as useless as the above (and many others like it), just so they have a shiny piece of paper thats cost $80,000+ giving the educational bonus of wiping ones arse

10+ Year Old Account
    there are plenty of other joke degrees out there that people do. to give some examples...

Parapsychology
    Surfing Studies
    Star Trek
    Golf Management
    Art History

all legit courses offered. SO why the hell should tax payers pay so someone can study something as useless as the above (and many others like it), just so they have a shiny piece of paper thats cost $80,000+ giving the educational bonus of wiping ones arse
    Art History is not a joke degree. There are reasons to take such a thing, it can be useful to artists. The rest, I agree are garbage degrees.

But in the end, each person is allowed to take which ever courses they choose. But I have faith that the majority will not be taking courses which have no career path.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Parapsychology
    Surfing Studies
    Star Trek
    Golf Management
    Art History

Courses are not majors, though Art History is an actual major.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

This all goes to the point that an education at a university is much different than high school. It's very customized, but the prices don't change. So someone can go to the university, pay a lot of money, and come out with nothing better.

There should be stipulations on "free university" such as forced curriculum paths on specific job needs of the country. Weed out courses should be early and often in order to keep the integrity of a degree. There should be no government intervention for things like what the curriculum of each course is, or the pass rates of classes, or the requirements to attend the college. Government loves to dumb down education so everyone can pass.

Nah, sorry can't fuck off about that. Trash degrees that are the equivalent of a hobbyist pursuit deserve no moral or intellectual support, funding or protection from ridicule. You can feel free not to like this, I'll feel free not to care.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Damajin View Post
    Trash degrees that are the equivalent of a hobbyist pursuit deserve no moral or intellectual support, funding or protection from ridicule.
    This is enough to say. No need to point to one specific useless degree. Just tired of hearing the same example over and over. We get it, Gender Studies is useless, which I totally agree with, but it makes it seem like it is the only useless degree.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Insurance is an option based on a privilege, it isn't forced on tax payers.
    True, my point though is that if many contribute a small amount then all can share in much larger things that none of them could otherwise afford. Kindof like pitching in for pizza

Parapsychology
    Surfing Studies
    Star Trek
    Golf Management
    Art History

How many people do you think take those courses ? (Hint : not majors)

This is enough to say. No need to point to one specific useless degree. Just tired of hearing the same example over and over. We get it, Gender Studies is useless, which I totally agree with, but it makes it seem like it is the only useless degree.
    Fair enough. It's definitely not the only useless one, they could probably gut a fair chunk of the average collegiate course listings if they went after useless courses and degrees that are there solely to boost profits for the schools.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    'If' huh? Sounds like some funky math to me. I still don't want to pay for everyone elses college. I paid for mine and you can find a way to pay for yours. Nobody likes the ideal of paying for their own college but if you were told you didn't score high enough on that test and didn't qualify for free college would you want to spend the rest of your life paying out of your paycheck every week for something you didn't get to take advantage of? If it was open for everyone and you decided not to go to college would you want to pay for everyones college? I don't want to and I don't think that people who don't want to go to college should have to pay for anyone elses optional college degree.
    But the amount you would have to pay would be minimal, with a system that puts a cap on it. Those that fail to meet the minimum score to enter the univeristy would still pay a minimal amount and still attempt to do it the next year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Damajin View Post
    Fair enough. It's definitely not the only useless one, they could probably gut a fair chunk of the average collegiate course listings if they went after useless courses and degrees that are there solely to boost profits for the schools.
    I agree. I wouldn't mind some consideration in which courses are permitted under this bill. Or, potentially some sort of GPA requirement to be given the free tuition. But as mentioned earlier, in the U.S. we tend to dumb down education for the sake of looking good on paper.

Someone do the math for me. 32 years old. 10 year old daughter and 5 year old son. Would it cost more for me to send both of them to 4 years at a Texas university or cost me more in taxes over my income earning years for the government to foot the bill ? If it's cheaper for the government to pay, I'm all for it. If it's cheaper for me to pay, fuck Hillary and Bernie.

I think this is the hurdle they have to climb. Convince everyday Americans of the benefit of this. Making vague statements like " a more educated populace is better" doesn't actually move anyone to action. They have to find a real life solution to visualize the social and economic benefits for "me".

And it's not really me, it's really the 1% that are gonna pay for it. And more specifically, small business owners. Which employ half the workforce and pay a large amount in taxes. Show them how the employees they already have will be better employees if they have a college degree.

I am kinda curious how many people who are complaining in this thread about over saturation in a field has ever gone to college? There is an overused, but true, statement that is told to you in your freshmen orientation that "look to your left, look to your right, only one of you will still be here by the end". This statement, even in general fields like Liberal Arts is true due to grades, financial assistance and general life issues. Most scholarships that allow people to go to school for free generally require a 2.5-3.0 or higher to continue (and which is why Athletes take easy courses so its easier to hit these academic levels). I am sure there would be a major stipulation if such a program would exist it would require something like a 3.0 to hit. A 3.0 shows you are actually interested in completing even if you are book dumb to hit.

Any idea what this would do to all those little beloved private schools? They would go under. Can't compete with free.

Based on 2005 data:
    Institutions/Enrollment
    Public 4-year institutions: 629/6,837,605
    Private 4-year institutions: 1,845/4,161,815
    Public 2-year institutions: 1,070/6,184,229
    Private 2-year institutions: 596/303,826

Quote Originally Posted by Nasukkin View Post
    I'm perfectly happy to pay higher taxes for this, provided that the areas of study covered by these benefits are actually practical. I don't want to be paying for someone else's dead-end art degree. But this would be great for pushing engineering and medical fields forward in the States.
    And what is or isn't "practical".
    Art can lead in a variety of directions, such as into design.
    More "acceptable" subjects will not guarantee some good contribution to society.
    And what is or isn't an acceptable subject.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

7+ Year Old Account
    It'll be like every other city college when the fed loan checks go out, new rims on the cars, new phones, new hairdos, ya knows da important sheet.

While they all major in " Liberal Arts" then bitch because walmart only pays $8.00

Quote Originally Posted by Kapadons View Post
    Someone do the math for me. 32 years old. 10 year old daughter and 5 year old son. Would it cost more for me to send both of them to 4 years at a Texas university or cost me more in taxes over my income earning years for the government to foot the bill ? If it's cheaper for the government to pay, I'm all for it. If it's cheaper for me to pay, fuck Hillary and Bernie.

I think this is the hurdle they have to climb. Convince everyday Americans of the benefit of this. Making vague statements like " a more educated populace is better" doesn't actually move anyone to action. They have to find a real life solution to visualize the social and economic benefits for "me".

And it's not really me, it's really the 1% that are gonna pay for it. And more specifically, small business owners. Which employ half the workforce and pay a large amount in taxes. Show them how the employees they already have will be better employees if they have a college degree.
    If will most definitely be more expensive if paying in taxes than footing the bill yourself. When the government gets involved, it means a lot of bureaucracy, which isn't free. Now they have 8,000 government employees working to oversee the money going to schools, doing the job of 3,000 people, all earning too much and getting those pensions. Instead of private banks controlling it more efficiency (because banks are run like business and governments are run like ... its all monopoly money).

Better yet. Take out a $100,000 loan and help your kids start a family business. Much better investment than them spending 4 years drinking, sexing, and "discovering themselves" ... universities in the US are a joke now.

A lot of the items she mentioned are already implemented by many states and non-profit private universities. The problem is when you can not get into a state university or non-profit university, and are stuck with a for-profit university. That can be bad news.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    So is Hillary lying?
    Every politician that says they'll do something once they're in office is lying, at least in a democracy. Almost no politician in a democracy can unilaterally do anything. So if you hear a politician say, "This will happen if I get elected," unless you're an idiot, you don't take them at face value. Is she lying? She's been pushing education initiatives for a long time, so while you can argue about their efficacy, she's been fairly consistent in her push for better education. Is this likely to come to be if she gets elected? Probably not.