Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Khatolic View Post
    i find genji the most difficult to play. his lshift which dashes through enemies ending up in close quarters encourages melee. i was surprised he doesnt have bonus damage to his melee strike.
    i would say hes harder to play than tracer by far.

what do u think about his melee ? do u have any general tips for playing genji ?
    If you are using his dash attack to get into melee range you are doing it wrong, his dash is a finisher as it resets -if you kill someone with it- so you want to be using it as a finisher to have it isntantly off cooldown.

You want to get in close and then use the combo attack which each successive attack button cancels the animation of the previous, the combo is as follows - Left click -> Melee -> shift (dash attack) which will kill squishy targets nearly instantly and reset dash for the next kill.

For medium armored targets you need to spend a little time peppering them with ninja stars before the combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Actually it just resets on every elimination now. Was changed at the same time the DoT was removed, I believe.
    You still want to do the combo as it cancels animation and is the most efficient way to kill, dashing in and meleeing doesn't work as well, run in, ninja stars, melee dash, dead.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    You still want to do the combo as it cancels animation and is the most efficient way to kill, dashing in and meleeing doesn't work as well, run in, ninja stars, melee dash, dead.
    Yeah, but implying that you don't dash to close distance is silly. Yes you do. You also use it to escape, to reach ledges, to pressure, etc. If all you do is hover over shift until it's a killing blow, you are a terrible Genji.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    Yeah, but implying that you don't dash to close distance is silly. Yes you do. You also use it to escape, to reach ledges, to pressure, etc. If all you do is hover over shift until it's a killing blow, you are a terrible Genji.
    Truthfully I rarely play him, he on on my list of guys to practice in QM, but what I stated was what Seagull mentioned on his stream from about 8 weeks ago. He typically uses manuevering with doublejump and map awareness to close to the point where I have learned there were some spots you could get to that I never knew before and he uses the dash as a finisher in his combo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Truthfully I rarely play him, he on on my list of guys to practice in QM, but what I stated was what Seagull mentioned on his stream from about 8 weeks ago. He typically uses manuevering with doublejump and map awareness to close to the point where I have learned there were some spots you could get to that I never knew before and he uses the dash as a finisher in his combo.
    And he is correct, being the most jaw dropping Genji I've ever seen, but he does all sorts of crazy things. Obviously the best combo is shuriken into dash/melee with animation cancelling b/c it all hits immediately if you do it correctly. And yeah, finishing with a dash provides momentum to escape or move to the next target. I'm not saying dash isn't best used as a finisher, because that's the most bang for your buck, but it's all the myriad ways he can use it that makes him so impactful.

Genji is really fun. I thought for sure I would be terrible with him, but I naturally jump a lot in games so the double jumping and wall climbing became second nature very quickly. I'm not very accurate with shuriken, so I'm mostly an annoying Genji, but I do know how to flank and harass healers so it's usually effective for me.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    And he is correct, being the most jaw dropping Genji I've ever seen, but he does all sorts of crazy things. Obviously the best combo is shuriken into dash/melee with animation cancelling b/c it all hits immediately if you do it correctly. And yeah, finishing with a dash provides momentum to escape or move to the next target. I'm not saying dash isn't best used as a finisher, because that's the most bang for your buck, but it's all the myriad ways he can use it that makes him so impactful.

Genji is really fun. I thought for sure I would be terrible with him, but I naturally jump a lot in games so the double jumping and wall climbing became second nature very quickly. I'm not very accurate with shuriken, so I'm mostly an annoying Genji, but I do know how to flank and harass healers so it's usually effective for me.
    I'm great at genji/zen/Tracer type aiming, my problem with Genji is that I suck at his ult, the best guys with him seem to know where everyone is around him (spacial awareness) and zip slash thier way through the entire line up of enemies, I tend to cut one down and then get caught looking for my next target.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm great at genji/zen/Tracer type aiming, my problem with Genji is that I suck at his ult, the best guys with him seem to know where everyone is around him (spacial awareness) and zip slash thier way through the entire line up of enemies, I tend to cut one down and then get caught looking for my next target.
    I have times where I do both. Then a lot of times my ult is completely negated by Zarya or Lucio. I have the same problems on Reinhart. I can't see anyone on my screen and will spin in circles wildly never seeing anyone. But then I play against reins who seem to have 360 degree vision. It's strange, for sure.

When I don't have sword, I'm really good at spatial awareness, but when sword is out whether b/c of the clutter on my screen or b/c the enemy is on enhanced guard, I can't seem to be as effective. I think I just need more practice.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kerdoz View Post
    The only thing they need to fix about Genji is his damage when ulted. He should not be able to 2hit a Super charged turret from Torbjorn.
    Don't ult into areas you don't know. Situational and environmental awareness is king.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

The only thing they need to fix about Genji is his damage when ulted. He should not be able to 2hit a Super charged turret from Torbjorn.
    I am going to guess that he may of reflected the turrets damage back at it then 2 hit it, in which case he didn't 2 hit it, he turret hit it, then 2 hit it. Either way I have no problem with an Ult+deflect skill+2 hits negating an ult.

Deleted
    I am going to guess that he may of reflected the turrets damage back at it then 2 hit it, in which case he didn't 2 hit it, he turret hit it, then 2 hit it. Either way I have no problem with an Ult+deflect skill+2 hits negating an ult.
    No. It was my friend playing Torbjörn and we saw it in the play of the game. The turret had full health and he did 2 hit it during Molten Core.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, but "no" back at you. The sword doesn't do 300 damage.
    Aw come on man, 'his friend' is such a reliable source though. I mean sure, you are using factual numbers that are provided by Blizzard/the game, but ...'his friend' dude.
    No. It was my friend playing Torbjörn and we saw it in the play of the game. The turret had full health and he did 2 hit it during Molten Core.
    Salty math only works when you have been nautically trained to sail the open seas. I recommend no longer doing Salty math, or just realizing that several other people probably hit the turret as well.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    I always found it weird that a Genji that uses his sword to melee does the same damage as say, Mei, that literally punches like a girl (bad form, doesn't even use shoulder/hips to throw the punch).

WITH THAT SAID.... HELL NO Genji should NOT get increased damage. A good Genji player is a nightmare enough as it is. They don't need a damage boost.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Butthurt Beluga View Post
    That is why I always make the distinction pretty "hard to play," and "hard to do well with."
    They're very different things.

I still contend that no hero in Overwatch is hard to play. They're all mechanically very shallow, and basically only have one playstyle.

Is Genji hard to do well with? Well, according to MasterOverwatch, on PC he's the the 7th most popular pick, and the 3rd rated offense hero in terms of winrate @50.2 percent.
    According to his stats he's fairly middle of the pack, his stats are not indicative of a "hard hero to do well with," and definitely not a hard hero to play.

Something to understand is when I say a hero is hard or not hard, I'm not speaking relative to other Overwatch characters, but rather to the FPS genre as a whole.
    Yeah, they are different. I personally don't make a distinction between "hard to play" and "hard to do well with". As you say, there are no heroes that are REALLY hard to control in OW, so they can only be hard to play if they are hard to do well with.

I think what these numbers actually show is that Genji is balanced. There are just as many horrible Genjis as there are great ones. There are also average Genjis, who will sometimes pull a game-winning play, but they may as well be pretty much useless, even if their numbers don't reflect it.

My opinion on Genji is probably biased since I really hate having to deal with fast characters in any game, I like to take my time... Which you can take as "I'm too slow to headshot a Genji jumping around the whole place". I don't play him, either, for exactly the same reason - I have to play way too fast for my liking. It's very tiresome in a longer run.

I don't think it's fair to compare OW characters to any other game, but out of curiosity, what games do you compare them to?
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Salty Math"

I think I'm going to end up using that one a few times.
    Heh, yeah. It looked good typing it. Unfortunately I knew how to spot it because I'm guilty of it myself. "Uggh, this fraking *insert hero* just one shot me out of nowhere.
    -watches the replay, where I am hit like 5 times like a derptard before I move-

"Yeah, one shot...this is bullcrap!" >.>
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Butthurt Beluga View Post
    Is Genji hard to do well with? Well, according to MasterOverwatch, on PC he's the the 7th most popular pick, and the 3rd rated offense hero in terms of winrate @50.2 percent.
    According to his stats he's fairly middle of the pack, his stats are not indicative of a "hard hero to do well with," and definitely not a hard hero to play.
    OK what if a bad guy loses most of his matches because it's hard, but a good guy wins most of his matches playing Genji because they practised a lot. Now you have a hero that still sits at 50%, making that figure not at all representative of difficulty to play