Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Seweryn View Post
    I am paying less for the 100 mb i have now or less, then i was paying for the 6 mb over 10 years ago. So do not give me the excuse that it cost much, because it doesn't. I spent more weekly on food then montly on internet speed.
    My primary point was that there are people with connections that can't download it in the patch downtime, assuming the patch downtime is about 7-8 hours. These connections exist, and judging the people who use them over a minor semantic point is childish.
    Additionally, there are places in the world that only have access to atrociously bad connections if you're on a budget.

If you don't want to download it, then simply don't download it now. It's not hard. There's no argument here.

10+ Year Old Account

I am bringing this stuff up, because i do not see the point of it.
    It's a thing because some people have bandwidth caps that reset mid-month and/or third-world download speeds.

This would've been great for me when I lived in an area that didn't have internet better than 1.5mb.
    Thanks for the ad-hominem; it supports your inability to support your argument.

10+ Year Old Account
    The background download is so you don't hit a brick wall of download time when patch day actually hits, as others have said: not all ISP are created equally.

There's also an easy solution to having this "wasted data" on your disk. Uninstall WoW.
    "Believing something is not an accomplishment. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because “strength of belief” is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. Listen to any “die-hard” conservative or liberal talk about their deepest beliefs and you are listening to somebody who will never hear what you say on any matter that matters to them — unless you believe the same. Wherever there is a belief, there is a closed door."

Deleted
    That is why i used to download it from third party websites. It took 3 or 4 less time then from official blizz tool, of course it was butchered implemented the new launcher.
    Well, I made my calculations based on the 10Gb download I had yesterday on steam and that took an hour.
    The launcher seems to take significantly longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylreick View Post
    The background download is so you don't hit a brick wall of download time when patch day actually hits, as others have said: not all ISP are created equally.
    And remember that the blizz servers don't have infinite bandwith either.
    A few million people downloading 20GBs at the same time can bring a server to it's knees.

You can disable the download in the battle net launcher settings. It's(future patch data) available and it's optional. A perfect setting for you, since you have such limited SSD space but a faster download speed.

What is the point? To send out the data to many people over time, regardless of individual download speeds, instead of all at once. Simple concept and technique, successfully executed by Blizzard for years.

10+ Year Old Account
    So,
    I cannot upgrade my standard wow game to 7.0.3, so it is basically additional hard drive space wasted, since when patch 7.0.3 will hit live servers it will take blizz couple of hours to implement it. It is more then enough time to download it. So i really do not get the point to pre download it.
    Another useless things they add.
    Cheers,
    OP, listen to your sig
    It's pronounced "Dur-av-ian."

I am paying less for the 100 mb i have now or less, then i was paying for the 6 mb over 10 years ago. So do not give me the excuse that it cost much, because it doesn't. I spent more weekly on food then montly on internet speed.
    it depends on where you live man, despite what people think the internet is still growing.

Another useless things they add.
    Mhmm, another useless thing they added years and years ago, back to even (I think) pre-Burning Crusade. I know I absolutely hate getting to play the game as soon as it goes live every expansion, instead of sitting there for hours downloading stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    I simply cannot believe this is anything other than intentional flamebait.
    But we cant be sure of that, which is the scary part.

10+ Year Old Account
    This has been answered over and over.

The point is to give everyone time to download whatever is required in advance instead of doing it all at the very last minute which will be very slow if everyone waits until a day or two before the patch launches. It's not useless at all. The thread really seems to be looking for something to complain about.

Closing.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."