Page 71 of 77 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Holy crap, they already modded the 4GB cards. AMD's in trouble, as they should have just priced the 8GB models at $200. Not that the 8GB versions were worth it over the 4GB, but now they're really not worth it.
    Appearently, it is only the first batch of 4 GB cards which were delivered to three AMD exclusive partners (XFX, Sapphire and Powercolor). This is a limited batch!

I don't know why tho.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    Appearently, it is only the first batch of 4 GB cards which were delivered to three AMD exclusive partners (XFX, Sapphire and Powercolor). This is a limited batch!

I don't know why tho.
    I blame NVidia, because reasons.

On a more serious note, it's really interesting that it's the AMD-exclusive vendors that got those cards. It almost seems like AMD have rewarded those companies for their loyalty down the years.

Deleted
    Holy crap, they already modded the 4GB cards. AMD's in trouble, as they should have just priced the 8GB models at $200. Not that the 8GB versions were worth it over the 4GB, but now they're really not worth it.
    Yep, someone was obviously very busy.
    They even did a UI for those that don't know how to play with the CLI.
    https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sh...&postcount=131

So according to some news, Nvidia released their GTX 1060, suggested US price being $249, FE US price being $299. Both custom cards and reference cards (limited FE) will hit the market at the same time and I think it's before July 22, meaning they will be available before AMD's custom cards. I think AMD fucked up real hard when they started to take everything slowly. One month NDA for RX 480, one month delay for custom cards. I mean surely the design of card was finished way before NDA process right? They could cooperate with custom card manufacturers earlier and release at the same time. I guess they wanted to milk that extra dollars selling their own reference cards first, it's going to cost them a lot if Nvidia releases earlier.
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2016-07-07 at 01:37 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    So according to some news, Nvidia released their GTX 1060, suggested US price being $249, FE US price being $299. Both custom cards and reference cards (limited FE) will hit the market at the same time and I think it's before July 22, meaning they will be available before AMD's custom cards. I think AMD fucked up real hard when they started to take everything slowly. One month NDA for RX 480, one month delay for custom cards. I mean surely the design of card was finished way before NDA process right? They could cooperate with custom card manufacturers earlier and release at the same time. I guess they wanted to milk that extra dollars selling their own reference cards first, it's going to cost them a lot if Nvidia releases earlier.
    Except that if we look at how the GTX 1080/70 release is and their stock levels it will not be on the market before hand.
    Reviewers don't even have proper drivers for the GTX 1060 yet and it will take time to distribute the GPUs to AIBs.

So no there is no logistical chance this is going to happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    So according to some news, Nvidia released their GTX 1060, suggested US price being $249, FE US price being $299.
    If Nvidia has a Founders Edition for 1060's they can take them and shove it up their asses.

I think AMD fucked up real hard when they started to take everything slowly. One month NDA for RX 480, one month delay for custom cards. I mean surely the design of card was finished way before NDA process right? They could cooperate with custom card manufacturers earlier and release at the same time. I guess they wanted to milk that extra dollars selling their own reference cards first, it's going to cost them a lot if Nvidia releases earlier.
    If Nvidia releases the 1060 at +15% faster speed for $250 or $300 in FE price, I don't think it's AMD that screwed up. Especially if the $250 model is 3GB and not 6GB. Though the benefit of the 1060 is it'll fill the missing gap with the RX 480, since there's not enough of them. NewEgg still doesn't have any in stock.

10+ Year Old Account
    If Nvidia has a Founders Edition for 1060's they can take them and shove it up their asses.

If Nvidia releases the 1060 at +15% faster speed for $250 or $300 in FE price, I don't think it's AMD that screwed up. Especially if the $250 model is 3GB and not 6GB. Though the benefit of the 1060 is it'll fill the missing gap with the RX 480, since there's not enough of them. NewEgg still doesn't have any in stock.
    The $250 is 6GB. Nothing was announced regarding a 3GB card. Looks like the 3GB card is going to be the ~$150 1050 card.

$250 dollars is a great price though, I'll bet the really good custom cards will be a bit more ($260-$270) but that price point would compare very well to the custom 8GB RX480 cards which should only be $10-$20 cheaper at most.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenny View Post
    The $250 is 6GB. Nothing was announced regarding a 3GB card. Looks like the 3GB card is going to be the ~$150 1050 card.

$250 dollars is a great price though, I'll bet the really good custom cards will be a bit more ($260-$270) but that price point would compare very well to the custom 8GB RX480 cards which should only be $10-$20 cheaper at most.
    The RX 480 is $200-$240, while the 1060 is $250-$300. They don't even compete in the same market. While you could argue the 1060 at $250 is worth it over the $240 RX 480, but not over the $200 RX 480. As it is the 8GB RX 480 is a waste of money, in my opinion. If someone wants to spend $200, then the RX 480 their choice. If someone wants to spend $250, then the 1060 is their choice. How much difference the custom cards will cost, and how much better they'll be is something we'll have to wait and see.

The problem is RX 480 is more expensive than MSRP, effectively putting its price to $250-$300 range for 8GB versions. Since there aren't 4GB versions around, we are stuck with overpriced mid-tier 8GB RX 480. RX 480 with its current prices is either in the range of GTX 1060, or slightly below (like 10-20 bucks). And we don't know if the prices will normalize, since GTX 1060 is rumored to be 15% faster than RX 480. The price gap may seem justified to retailers and online sellers, and barring any sort of price normalization after Nvidia's release. In any case, we will see it rather soon.
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2016-07-07 at 03:16 PM.

such a dick move by amd
    this only proves that removing those 4 extra gb is actually more expensive than to disable them, in other words the 8gb card costs more without any extra value or production cost.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Noctifer616 View Post
    Demand for those cards is high, why drop prices?

If the customer feels cheated on, demand drops.

Quote Originally Posted by coprax View Post
    If the customer feels cheated on, demand drops.
    Cheated? You buy a 8GB card you get a 8GB card. You buy a 4GB card, you get a 4GB card where you can enable another 4GB. How is that different than buying a 290 and then unlocking it to a 290X? Or buying a dual or triple core CPU and then unlocking the disabled cores? No one was cheated in a negative way like with the 970 (says 4GB, you get 3.5).

Cheated? You buy a 8GB card you get a 8GB card. You buy a 4GB card, you get a 4GB card where you can enable another 4GB. How is that different than buying a 290 and then unlocking it to a 290X? Or buying a dual or triple core CPU and then unlocking the disabled cores? No one was cheated in a negative way like with the 970 (says 4GB, you get 3.5).

Of course I feel cheated if I payed 50€ more for the 8gb version, and the next guy buys the 4gb version, does a one click flash and has the same card I have bought for 50€ less. lol

Of course I feel cheated if I payed 50€ more for the 8gb version, and the next guy buys the 4gb version, does a one click flash and has the same card I have bought for 50€ less. lol
    You got what you paid for. Also, how would you know a 4GB actually has 8GB or not? Some 4GB versions actually have 4GB and not 8GB. It's a gamble.

Some 4GB versions actually have 4GB and not 8GB. It's a gamble.

Which makes the whole situation even worse.

Which makes the whole situation even worse.
    No it doesn't. Those cards are very limited on reference cards. In my country only one shop had them, they are sold out. There will be actual 4GB cards from AIBs.

If you really feel cheated, go take legal action and make sure to document the whole process so I can have a good laugh.

If you really feel cheated, go take legal action and make sure to document the whole process so I can have a good laugh.

I think you still have no clue what I am talking about.
    It's not about any legal entitlement, it's about PR and customer loyalty.

I think you still have no clue what I am talking about.
    It's not about any legal entitlement, it's about PR and customer loyalty.
    No one complains but a few people. Most people don't even read tech sites or inform them self on products properly, that's why the whole 3.5GB on the 970 was never a huge debacle outside tech sites.

If you think this is negative PR, you are wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    No one complains but a few people. Most people don't even read tech sites or inform them self on products properly, that's why the whole 3.5GB on the 970 was never a huge debacle outside tech sites.

If you think this is negative PR, you are wrong.
    Very true, unfortunately. Most people who buy graphic cards will base it on benchmarks and price. They don't know the 3.5GB issue with the 970, and the PCIE power issue with the RX 480. Just the people who read tech sites and forums. And if you read forums, you would have known long ago that the RX 480 4GB was really a 8GB model with 4GB disabled in the BIOS. It wasn't until someone flashed a 4GB to 8GB that suddenly we're aware of this situation.

Even still, the 8GB has no performance benefits over the 4GB. You have zero reason to buy a 8GB RX 480 to begin with. JoeSixPack is unaware of this situation and is playing OverWatch with hacks.

The problem is RX 480 is more expensive than MSRP, effectively putting its price to $250-$300 range for 8GB versions. Since there aren't 4GB versions around, we are stuck with overpriced mid-tier 8GB RX 480. RX 480 with its current prices is either in the range of GTX 1060, or slightly below (like 10-20 bucks). And we don't know if the prices will normalize, since GTX 1060 is rumored to be 15% faster than RX 480. The price gap may seem justified to retailers and online sellers, and barring any sort of price normalization after Nvidia's release. In any case, we will see it rather soon.
    The RX 480's price is only high on Ebay and Amazon. As far as I can tell, nobody has them in stock either. Newegg has them at their MSRP, but nothing in stock. Also, why the Founders Edition crap? Why $300 for a x60 card? We're comparing a $200 RX 480, to a $300 FE 1060. Even at $240, that's a $60 difference. If we go by the 1080 and 1070 as an example, the 1060's will go beyond $300 cause of FE.

BTW, yes the 1060 is a cut down version of the 1080, like the 1070. Which means someone needs to find out if Nvidia laser cut the chips on these cards, cause the 1060's maybe a BIOS flash away from becoming a 1080 or 1070. A 1080 without GDDR5X.

Deleted
    We're comparing a $200 RX 480, to a $300 FE 1060. Even at $240, that's a $60 difference
    Except that i have hard time seeing 200$ price tags. All i see is 260-270$ upwards and you don't want to know the EU prices. Rather grab a gtx970 on a crazy stock- clearance sale (for 1080p).

10+ Year Old Account
    The RX 480's price is only high on Ebay and Amazon. As far as I can tell, nobody has them in stock either. Newegg has them at their MSRP, but nothing in stock. Also, why the Founders Edition crap? Why $300 for a x60 card? We're comparing a $200 RX 480, to a $300 FE 1060. Even at $240, that's a $60 difference. If we go by the 1080 and 1070 as an example, the 1060's will go beyond $300 cause of FE.

BTW, yes the 1060 is a cut down version of the 1080, like the 1070. Which means someone needs to find out if Nvidia laser cut the chips on these cards, cause the 1060's maybe a BIOS flash away from becoming a 1080 or 1070. A 1080 without GDDR5X.
    Geforce 1080's can be had for around $619. Hardly a massive jump over the MSRP of $599. That is less then a 4% difference. We should be able to get Geforce 1060's at the $259->$269 price point.

The 1060 also has the smaller GP106 chip, no flashing that to a 1080.