Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Seweryn View Post
    I have wow on ssd, as you know ssd are rather small when compared to normal drives, so yeah, when it comes to ssd, 20 GB can be a huge deal.
    They indeed used to be tiny like 60gb. A 500gb ssd is quite affordable these days so that wouldn't be much of an issue tbh.

I can't wait for this year's Black Friday so I can buy a bigger SSD. Doesn't really bother me that WoW is getting bigger from the xpac, that's expected. But damn if I'm not starting to run out of room between WoW, Windows, and a few games from Steam. I see a 500GB SSD in my future.

Side question, if I don't really care about playing the pre-patch the day it launches, is it worth preventing 7.0 from downloading until it hits? With the intent of not having two versions of files before that (e.g. spell animations, etc).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmago View Post
    The joke was more within the word "exclusively".
    Why is that the joke though?
    Is it because SSD's used to have limited storage space long time ago?

- - - Updated - - -

I have wow on ssd, as you know ssd are rather small when compared to normal drives, so yeah, when it comes to ssd, 20 GB can be a huge deal.
    1Tb SSD isn't very expensive. Comes as a default on several laptops.
    500Gb SSD is dirt cheap. SSD storage hasn't been a "huge deal" for ages.

Deleted
    I got 4.5TB of internal disks, bring it on. Especially 3TB HDD disks are nothing nowadays. Also, if they "optimized" it the game would have higher system requirements...

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Old, outdated mechnical HDDs are mere pennies on the dollar for massive multiple terabytes.
    New, awesome and amazing SSDs are getting cheaper every day, I've already moved ALL my HDDs to SSDs except for the WD Reds in my server. Multiple 1TB SSDs are amazing for games.

60gb+ for games is nothing these days.

EDIT: Let's see, one of my 500gb Samsung 850 Evos has under 10gb free space left.

Steam is taking up a whopping 330gb
    Blizzard is taking up 103gb.
    I had to move FFXIV to another SSD because I ran out of room with this pre patch

That means time to buy a new SSD.
    Last edited by Bryce; 2016-07-07 at 05:10 PM.

I skim these forums a few times a week and I swear, I'm constantly surprised at the bullshit people come up with.

Clean Legion install is a bit over 35 GB (that included data for all previous expansions), it's just prepatch data that is fucked up.

From what I've seen Legion has more voice acting in it than any expansion they've ever done. Seriously, even no-name non-elite mobs have voiced lines they shout at you when you engage in a lot of places. Couple that with all the new higher quality art assets being packed into this expansion and it really shouldn't be a surprise.
    ( ; , , ; )

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal123 View Post
    people care about the patch size?
    If you play other triple AAA gfx titles like The Witcher and such and games that benefit huge from a SSD then a jump to 50gb from a game that used be like 30 is quite substantial if your drive is 256gb.
    Ofc you know that day will come when playing a MMO.

Unless they're pulling a Titanfall with GBs of uncompressed sound files I really don't see what there is to complain about. 45GB for a video game isn't that much in the [current year]
    Last edited by anveena; 2016-07-07 at 06:38 PM.

no it isnt. I got 3 500gb SSDs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiphess View Post
    i am actually considering this, im building a new pc soon since mine gets a bit old for my taste

i was wondering what's the difference for wow on a normal hdd and a ssd?
    Loading bars are much quicker, assets are loaded faster and the overall experience for the game is greatly improved. For example, in SoO we had a "SSD club" for Heroic Garrosh's final phase since everybody with an SSD would load in much faster than those without.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wasn't the MoP patch like 37gb? 20 is nothing these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Rehok View Post
    20GB = New Animations, Revamped Models, New Textures, New Area's. Just because its only a Tiny Island doesn't mean the textures are complete and utter horseshit and its not only 1 island, You have Mardum, The Dungeons, The Raids, All the new systems coming in like Mythic+ The artifacts. and if wow is now 55GB thats perfectly fine, there are games that are 60GB, Hell Star Citizen is meant to be over 100GB
    Who gives a fuck? Most people have 1TB+ hard-drives nowadays.

People really will bitch about anything.

Because they are preparing for when we finally get to see Sargeras. 19 of those GBs is just for his dong. The expansion after legion will have 100GB of data just for his feet.

Quote Originally Posted by frogger237 View Post
    Because they are preparing for when we finally get to see Sargeras. 19 of those GBs is just for his dong. The expansion after legion will have 100GB of data just for his feet.
    ಠ_ಠ

Yogg'Saron didn't die for this!

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    ಠ_ಠ

Yogg'Saron didn't die for this!
    I don't know why that little face made laugh the way it did, but thank you. He's almost scolding with that look.
    Summon Apollo's fire, with hell and heaven's might. Then with great force attend, the falling of all men.
    Release this captured world, from point of no return. Destruction has no end, unless you ride again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ha, was actually just talking about this earlier with a friend of mine, when I noticed my SSD was 100% full (crycry) this morning.

20gigs is really a drop in the bucket nowdays. My Legion beta client folder is 57gigs (some of that may be deleteable though) which is pretty standard for modern games. I don't think the size of the pre-expansion patch is at all surprisingly and it's certainly not unreasonable. Probably a good chunk of that will replace existing files, too, so it won't even end up being a full 20gigs bigger once the patch is actually applied.

However, if you're running with a small SSD -- as probably many are since their price could be prohibitive on larger size until recently -- space can still be a valuable commodity. 20gbs is not insignificant if, like me, you've got wow on an older, smaller ssd. Not everyone has the cash to drop on a second or bigger drive, especially for a luxury item like gaming. So I can see why some people might be frustrated with the large size of the patch, especially since it may be awhile before it's even applied.

My primary drive is 128gb exclusively for my OS and WoW; everything else from files to spillover games is on a hdd. Right now, it is only 2 gigs short of being full with the patch files. I didn't relish the idea of moving WoW back and forth from the ssd to hdd every time there is a big patch so I broke down and bought a bigger ssd today so I can run WoW and some other games on a faster drive without risking putting my C:\ at capacity. As an added bonus, it will be nice to move the games currently on my file drive over to it for added speed and leave my hdd solely for files. I'm sure, however, not everyone has an extra chunk of money to drop on that at a moment's notice (I really shouldn't have myself since I'm still recovering from a recent trip overseas but FUCK IT I HAVE WANTED A BIGGER DRIVE FOR A LONG TIME NOW).

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DoflamingoGT View Post
    I saw the prepatch for Legion and seriously 20 GB for a tiny island? That makes wow 55 GB, and if they plan on releasing more expansions with that bad optimization it will go 100 gb in the next. I am not saying that i can't handle the game myself but this looks really bad and since WoW is played mostly by people with older PCs that can't handle the newer games it will bring an additional huge drop of subscriptions. 1 small island getting more space than the first 5 installments is a joke. Blizzard should stop aiming for new players and focus on not losing the current ones because starting WoW now is almost impossible for a new person i have seen it myself, they play for a few days and then quit.
    Games are big now, more news at 11.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.