Thread: Gordon Ramsay

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    I like sports, but I don't like blow outs or bullshit passive dance-off fights that get overhyped by fair-weather fans. Could've brought boxing back, but it just killed it even harder.
    The fight was too late. It should have happened years before it did. But, I don't think boxing has much hope of coming back. It's just not flashy enouph for modern times... which feels silly saying, as big of events boxing used to promote. As shitty as Don King was, that's exactly what boxing needs.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

It's not even "for the Cameras".. if it's a US show, they push him to be a lot more angry and screaming. If it's a UK show, he's rarely screaming and swearing. Apparently producers think screaming and cursing is better for US shows which.. isn't that far wrong, considering.

Except MasterChef; MasterChef he rarely yells or curses, and that's a U.S. show.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    If you watch the entire episode that person was worth something much worse than that. Sometimes you need to use all the explicitness because they are that fucking stupid. As someone who has worked in kitchens for about 10 years some of those people on both UK and US Kitchen Nightmares simply put are a danger to themselves and others just walking into the kitchen and are so far in denial they borderline insanity.
    I'm not saying his ways aren't effective, but there are nice and respectful ways to teach idiots to stop being idiots. Being right doesn't make you not a dickhead.

If I'm standing in the middle of a road and a massive truck is coming and someone says "Get out of the road, you fucking retarded dumbass", he's 100% right and is definitely helping me, but adding the retarded dumbass part is a mean and disrespectful thing to do.

Doing mean disrespectful things to other people make you a dick.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

Deleted
    He's the Uwe Boll of culinary art.

Except that he's at least competent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    It's not even "for the Cameras".. if it's a US show, they push him to be a lot more angry and screaming. If it's a UK show, he's rarely screaming and swearing. Apparently producers think screaming and cursing is better for US shows which.. isn't that far wrong, considering.

Except MasterChef; MasterChef he rarely yells or curses, and that's a U.S. show.
    It's not wrong... we have that reality show archetype, 1 person away from being president. We heart our belligerent reality show stars.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    Thought this was a Gordon Ramsay is dead post.
    If only, today we weren't so lucky.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    He's the Uwe Boll of culinary art.

Except that he's at least competent.
    That's below the belt... Ouch...

Edit: I guess I'm on a boxing tangent at the moment... Ha!

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah. Its mainly an act if you compare his UK and US shows. He is a lot more calm in the UK version, as well as in Master chef for the US.

Also, many people need to be yelled at to get the point across anyways. Stubbornness is a pain in the rear to deal with.

This guy... somehow the thing i remember most from this guy was some show I just happened to see when I opened tv. It was the moment they gave him the food they made to judge. He looked at the Creme Brulé (or however you write it). He then made swift movement with his wrist and threw it on the the floor like it was trash. I don't know why I remember that specifically. I found it funny.

Anyway... guy who is this serious about food, throws it away, if it is not gourmet grade? What a dick.

Gordon Ramsay is awesome. Both his cooking and personality on and off screen.
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    It's not wrong... we have that reality show archetype, 1 person away from being president. We heart our belligerent reality show stars.
    That's what I meant. My wording was perhaps weird.

10+ Year Old Account
    Being a dick is part of the act to get people to watch his shows. You could be as blunt he is without all the drama and theatrics that he throws in. I've seen chefs that are a lot meaner, Ramsay us more entertaining because of all the whining and acting out though. I think one should know the difference between being a dick for entertainment and just being a dick because some people tend to forget how to act in real life.

Hells Kitchen is a good example of him acting out for views. He makes the smallest issues, sometimes they aren't even issues, into catastrophes. The contestants are often set up for failure, it's more or less chef boot camp where he tries to get the chefs ready to work in stressful environments. Most already have restaurant experience but haven't worked in extremely large kitchens.

Kitchen Nightmares would be boring if he just went into the places playing health inspector and there have always been shows about helping struggling restaurants reinvigorate themselves. If you really watch the shows, half of it is Ramsay being petty and then setting up the businesses to fail after he leaves.

http://www.realitytvrevisited.com/20...posts.html?m=1

He tons the theatrics down on Master Chef, becoming more of a hard teacher than a complete asshole.

On his other shows he isn't a dick at all.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    Thought this was a Gordon Ramsay is dead post.
    So sad, so bad.. not to hear he is dead.

:-(

@pacox that's a little weird saying he "sets them up to fail".. they, ultimately, have to follow good business practices, and failure to do so generally results in closing. A random selection on that list shows a lot of closures due to rent increases, tax evasions, or other things that have fuck-all to do with setting up for failure.

Deleted
    Gordon is great. I dislike some of the extremely "American" editing and over-blown drama on his shows nowadays, but watching him roast someone is always good. He also know wtf he's doing, so people can't even come back... they just have to take it. At the same time, if people actually work for him he'll work for them. There's been a couple of chefs on these shows he's provided work experience/training for, and on Masterchef he obviously wants them to do well and gives them good feedback.

Last edited by mmoc4359933d3d; 2016-07-07 at 07:35 PM.

I watched kitchen nightmares about 4 years ago on Netflix out of being bored, it made me a Ramsay fan, I watched all of them, then I started watching Hells Kitchen, I learned some good cooking skills just by watching these shows. He's only an asshole to incompetent people who won't listen or learn, I can relate to that frustration.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Same here...

Him being a dick is an act. Just like Simon Cowel... It's the same reality show demographic...
    Have you ever seen an interview with simon cowell? That guy is rotten all the way through, he would sell his own mother for a buck. Accountable for such gems as we should televise everything including executions. Ramsay is a pretty normal person in most of his cooking shows that are not hell's kitchen.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    He's still a dickhole and he knows it.

I legitimately would rather have seen Gordon Ramsay fight Simon Cowell, rather than Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao in that billion dollar fight.
    I don't think he is actually a dick. He's harsh on people who do ask for his help when they are fucking up. I think he acts that way because he does want to help them out. Whether his attitude is always effective is another conversation however.

He's also been shown to be good around kids and genuinely seems nice in the amas he has done in reddit.
    Last edited by lazypeon100; 2016-07-07 at 07:39 PM.

Deleted
    "There's so much fucking oil on that plate. America are preparing to invade it"

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I watched kitchen nightmares about 4 years ago on Netflix out of being bored, it made me a Ramsay fan, I watched all of them, then I started watching Hells Kitchen, I learned some good cooking skills just by watching these shows. He's only an asshole to incompetent people who won't listen or learn, I can relate to that frustration.
    He has a channel now with cooking instruction videos that are very helpful. I learned how to cook a steak properly with his tips on it. Also I'm better with a kitchen knife now. My only gripe about his cooking instructions is that he doesn't give things like oven temps or measurements for ingredients.

Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano