Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    Maybe this was already added to this MEGA THREAD, but I see no discussion over it. I just see people arguing about something they have no control over nor information about.

https://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=44285

This quote from the OP (of my link) is what worries me. It seems to me that all the effort has been for nothing. Why would you basically ignore the Nostalrius team? I mean they could just say: thank you for the updates/information thusfar, we'll come back to you about it soon or something.
    Blizzard are a big company and it is not uncommon with big companies for it to take several weeks for the information to reach the right people and for them to have time to review it and formulate a response, especially this close to a major launch. Or it could just be that they have all they need from the Nost team and to continue communication no longer serves any purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Blizzard are a big company and it is not uncommon with big companies for it to take several weeks for the information to reach the right people and for them to have time to review it and formulate a response, especially this close to a major launch. Or it could just be that they have all they need from the Nost team and to continue communication no longer serves any purpose.
    Well you give reasons that indeed could be the case. But it would really be very very bad form. It would be like: Hey guys come over and join us for a meeting. We are really happy to see you and value anything you bring etc. <they go and give a lot of input> And then suddenly radio silence whenever they ask something or provide with additional information. You do not go from one extreme to another.

It is not like they are a customer or something and even those you as a company should treat with more respect then what has happened to the nostalrius crew.

Maybe this was already added to this MEGA THREAD, but I see no discussion over it. I just see people arguing about something they have no control over nor information about.

https://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=44285

This quote from the OP (of my link) is what worries me. It seems to me that all the effort has been for nothing. Why would you basically ignore the Nostalrius team? I mean they could just say: thank you for the updates/information thusfar, we'll come back to you about it soon or something.
    Why should they? They're busy making the live game. They have no obligation to stay in contact with people who were running a pirated server.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Why should they? They're busy making the live game. They have no obligation to stay in contact with people who were running a pirated server.
    I don't think you know what has transpired - how they were received and what they were asked by Blizzard. You should check out various threads about the topic (not this one) for that information. You basically write: "they do not have to stay in contact with criminals" whereas they weren't treated nor viewed as such. They were invited to provide additional insights as to why legacy servers (pirate as they may be) are so popular. At the very least insight on why Nostalrius was popular.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't believe I've just read - "developers at Blizzard couldn't get Vanilla to work again".

Choosing not to do something vs being able to do it are two totally different things. The systems in place on live have far more complex coding than anything in Vanilla. A new low for the legacy posse.

I don't think you know what has transpired - how they were received and what they were asked by Blizzard. You should check out various threads about the topic (not this one) for that information. You basically write: "they do not have to stay in contact with criminals" whereas they weren't treated nor viewed as such. They were invited to provide additional insights as to why legacy servers (pirate as they may be) are so popular. At the very least insight on why Nostalrius was popular.
    I've been in this discussion from the beginning and all you're doing here is trying to pander to emotions and make this issue seem more important than it actually is. Everything that Blizzard wants to say about Legacy has already been said. The Nost folks got all-expense paid round trip flights to Blizzard HQ which is a helluva lot more than what most companies would have done. But that's not enough, is it? I guess Blizzard should have weekly conference calls with them, right? I can see those panning out real well:

Nost: Hey Blizzard, it's me again. You guys keep sending me to voice mail. I just wanted to know, are you gonna do Legacy yet?

Blizzard: Nope.

::75 weeks of conference calls later::

Nost: Look Blizzard, I don't think you and I got off on the right foot. I'm sorry I keep calling, if you'd just list---

On a serious note, I'm sure they'll talk about it again at BlizzCon. In the meantime, I really don't see anything of value to be procured from Blizzard maintaining an open line of communication with people who were running an illegal private server.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemii View Post
    I can't believe I've just read - "developers at Blizzard couldn't get Vanilla to work again".

Choosing not to do something vs being able to do it are two totally different things. The systems in place on live have far more complex coding than anything in Vanilla. A new low for the legacy posse.
    I don't like how vineri acts - I don't particularly like his arguments.
    Yes, the game is more complex in code than back then.

I believe his argument is that if today's team was in charge of making vanilla wow, they would fail dramatically because they have no idea of the design principles of vanilla.
    They are the ones that remove reagents, talent trees and co. While I guess the old team knew why they where put in, and presumably still stand by it - perhaps.

I don't like that argument simply because there were already some elements that many of us vanilla-fans dislike in vanilla, just in forms that were bad and not used.
    Automatic matchmaking was in - in the form of meeting stones followed by the ability to get into matchmade groups via innkeepers. The groups were just so terrible that nobody used them.
    crossrealm battlegrounds in 1.12 ...

This argument is imo stupid - "Team A" was not some saint and had some failures too. Todays team is no different.

The argument if anything should be that the design decisions of the first version were my favourite, and that is including the failure in making a widely-used matchmaking-system in vanilla.
    Last edited by mmoc559564dcfa; 2016-07-06 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    I've been in this discussion from the beginning and all you're doing here is trying to pander to emotions and make this issue seem more important than it actually is. Everything that Blizzard wants to say about Legacy has already been said. The Nost folks got all-expense paid round trip flights to Blizzard HQ which is a helluva lot more than what most companies would have done. But that's not enough, is it? I guess Blizzard should have weekly conference calls with them, right? I can see those panning out real well:

Nost: Hey Blizzard, it's me again. You guys keep sending me to voice mail. I just wanted to know, are you gonna do Legacy yet?

::75 weeks of conference calls later::

Nost: Look Blizzard, I don't think you and I got off on the right foot. I'm sorry I keep calling, if you'd just list---

On a serious note, I'm sure they'll talk about it again at BlizzCon. In the meantime, I really don't see anything of value to be procured from Blizzard maintaining an open line of communication with people who were running an illegal private server.
    Dude... the Nost guys aren't calling for an answer about what the result of the meeting was. Go to their forums or follow that link I provided. God...
    You are misrepresenting the nost community vs the nost devs - the community obviously wants to know about legacy servers.

You are presenting the nost devs as if they were a bunch of impatient kids. I am actually astonished by your comments.

Dude... the Nost guys aren't calling for an answer about what the result of the meeting was. Go to their forums or follow that link I provided. God...
    You are misrepresenting the nost community vs the nost devs - the community obviously wants to know about legacy servers.

You are presenting the nost devs as if they were a bunch of impatient kids. I am actually astonished by your comments.
    I'm actually astonished you believe after flying a group of people half away across the fucking globe for free, they deserve some kind of white glove treatment from Blizzard. They're in the process of trying to roll out a new expansion. This is what matters to Blizzard right now. The needs and concerns of a group of players who ran a pirate server are unsurprisingly extremely low on their list of shit to keep up with.

That's exactly what the Nost devs are as the so-called "Legacy server ambassadors".

Blizzard has even un-stickied the Brack post on the General Discussion forums.

They gave their little PR spiels, and now that the fervor has died down, they're going to let it go away.

Good for them. It needs to go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Chemii View Post

they can, it's just not worth the time and effort to them

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vichan View Post
    they can, it's just not worth the time and effort to them
    Just in case people weren't sure what I was saying?

10+ Year Old Account
    Either way legacy servers will happen, we'll have to see how Legion pans out. Honestly wouldn't surprise me if they make a legacy server(s) that eventually progresses all the way to WotLK but they just make that the main game again but add more raids etc. and then after WotLK they just go down a different route instead of Cata.
    Hey everyone

Wow.. the Nos defense crew is out in full force I see. "No, it's not illegal what they did!" "Noone who wants vanilla will play Legion anyway" etc etc. I have yet to see 1 coherent argument that shows that blizzard might want to try "legacy servers".

I assume (for now, because neither camps have any numbers besides "Look at this one poll someone made randomly lol!") that the amount of players Blizzard has to make servers is just not enough to justify it. And as someone else said, currently the Legion launch and preparation has a slightly higher priority than some kiddies that ran a server illegally (because again, it was still illegal what they did).

Also, please don't come with the "But blizzard had a picture moment with the Nos crew so that must mean servers are coming!". Nice theory, but it still holds no water whatsoever.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duronos View Post
    Either way legacy servers will happen, we'll have to see how Legion pans out. Honestly wouldn't surprise me if they make a legacy server(s) that eventually progresses all the way to WotLK but they just make that the main game again but add more raids etc. and then after WotLK they just go down a different route instead of Cata.
    Are you serious here or is it some kind of next level trolling?
    I mean, how can you be so delusional?
    retired raiding shadow priest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    WoW will never die. They will be back up to 12m+ subs when legion hits, and wont fall below 10m for the duration of the expansion. You can mark my words on that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimewave View Post
    Are you serious here or is it some kind of next level trolling?
    I mean, how can you be so delusional?
    Looking back at that post I forgot to mention that the changes made were something I wanted, not something Blizz would do.

Legacy servers will happen at some point though, that I can definitely assure you of.
    Hey everyone

I think there will be a legacy server announced at Blizzcon, but I doubt they will hire any Nost devs to work on it. Blizzard simply can't create a precedent where people think that the best way to get a job at Blizzard is by creating a private server than infringes on their copyrights.
    Last edited by Arrowset; 2016-07-07 at 07:47 PM.

I also believe legacy servers are an inevitability. I don't know that it will happen as fast as myself and many others would like. But someday, it's going to happen. I'd love to hear an official announcement about it at Blizzcon, but I'm certainly not counting on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowset View Post
    I think there will be a legacy server announced at Blizzcon
    There is not enough people to justify the development of legacy servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    I also believe legacy servers are an inevitability. I don't know that it will happen as fast as myself and many others would like. But someday, it's going to happen. I'd love to hear an official announcement about it at Blizzcon, but I'm certainly not counting on it.
    I mean, I can just as confidently say one day WoW will die. I don't know when it'll happen, but it'll happen.

As I've said more times than I can count by now, they will happen when WoW reaches a point where its current cyclical expansion business model is no longer sustainable. When Blizzard has moved on from WoW to other projects. After they've completely rubbed WoW's creative efforts away. Will it happen with the next expansion? If Legion's successful, probably not. The expansion afterwards? Maybe. By then Blizzard might actually be working on a next gen MMO so it'll be par the course to let original WoW die off quietly, reliving its glory days like an Alzheimer's patient.