10+ Year Old Account

Ghostbusters (of Draenor)

With WoD on the way out, did we ever find out what was up with all the ghosts in Draenor?

We had the ghosts of dead Draenei, and that goes along with Auchindoun. We had dead orcs, but we've seen that before in TBC's Nagrand. We had dead trolls, but that seemed to be a voodoo thing. Alright, but then we have Admiral Taylor and his garrison, something that felt like a dropped thread to me. We also had Jarrod Hambly hanging around, I suppose we could say through the power of love. All in all though, it seemed like they were going to do something more with spirits than use them as a set up for Gorefiend. Otherwise, why throw in Ephial?
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoD is full of scraps that were supposed to paint a bigger picture, they gave up on their product.

We won't get an explanation on how we get back to Azeroth, either.

10+ Year Old Account
    what ghosts? Only ghost i saw was from my haunted momento

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benomatic View Post
    And i'm sure you haven't seen that for a long time after its nerf....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabinas View Post
    And i'm sure you haven't seen that for a long time after its nerf....
    It spawns every 5 minutes or so.
    Last edited by Benomatic; 2016-07-07 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Polybius View Post
    WoD is full of scraps that were supposed to paint a bigger picture, they gave up on their product.

Do we really need one with all the portals to major cities in Warspear/Stormshield?
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benomatic
    Some of them you might not have seen, depending on the quests you did and your faction.

Alliance gets Admiral Taylor for a follower if you do the quests in his garrison. Doing that will also get you a ghostly drink vendor. If you do the quest with the podlings you get Jarrod Hambly walking around.

Horde gets three dancing trolls from doing a quest line in Nagrand. I don't recall if they get the drink vendor.

Either faction gets Ahm after doing his quest in Talador.

Talador has the Dranei ghosts that walk around a couple of areas. Nagrand has Orc ghosts in an area near the coast, and Ogres' ghosts in the hills. Tanaan has Orc ghosts in a cave that you enter during the garrison quests, it also has Captain Ironbeard.

This isn't the first time WoW has had ghosts, we just seem to have had a lot in WoD. Things were set up so that we have ghosts hanging around our garrison and possibly even as followers. As @Polybius mentioned, WoD is full of loose ends and Admiral Taylor's garrison strikes me as particularly messy since it comes out of nowhere and doesn't really go anywhere.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Look um... perhaps it's been a while but maybe you should get another character to 90 and finish the intro. You start opening portals back to Azeroth before your Garrison is even finished. Azeroth was opening new portals to Draenor while you were leveling leading to the Everbloom dungeon. Ashran is a canon location with canon portals to Azeroth.

We were only stuck there so long as we were in Tanaan until we got on those boats.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

You see Ga'nars ghost when you complete the Horde Legendary ring but alas like ghosts haunting a old chapel they will just be forgotten about over time destine to spook those who go back and do old content

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium

I'd imagine we use the same portals that were opened to bring troops in over time.

You're right though, they definitely gave us lots of pieces. Showed us a little more of the Apexis, never explained anything of the civilization. Introduced the cat-men, didn't bother going into their history or backstory. Gave us insights into Draenei culture and architecture, didn't tell how they formed on Draenor. Hinted at Faralohn and the Ogre Empires, never go there. Primals and Breakers, Botani, etc. etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by AlarStormbringer View Post
    I'd imagine we use the same portals that were opened to bring troops in over time.

You're right though, they definitely gave us lots of pieces. Showed us a little more of the Apexis, never explained anything of the civilization. Introduced the cat-men, didn't bother going into their history or backstory. Gave us insights into Draenei culture and architecture, didn't tell how they formed on Draenor. Hinted at Faralohn and the Ogre Empires, never go there. Primals and Breakers, Botani, etc. etc. etc.
    My biggest pet peeve is all the hydras roaming around, especially the named ones. What were those intended to be for?

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    My biggest pet peeve is all the hydras roaming around, especially the named ones. What were those intended to be for?
    Nearly every named hydra in draenor is a pun on various dragons / monsters in real world mythology or other things. I highly doubt there was anything more intended for them to be other then just a bit of pop culture reference / easter-egg type thing.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post
    Look um... perhaps it's been a while but maybe you should get another character to 90 and finish the intro. You start opening portals back to Azeroth before your Garrison is even finished. Azeroth was opening new portals to Draenor while you were leveling leading to the Everbloom dungeon. Ashran is a canon location with canon portals to Azeroth.

We were only stuck there so long as we were in Tanaan until we got on those boats.
    But Kadgar, one of the most powerful mages in the world, said that he could only open the portal long enough to bring a few troops through. Lorewise portals don't work like they do in game, especially portals through time and dimension

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    With WoD on the way out, did we ever find out what was up with all the ghosts in Draenor?

We had the ghosts of dead Draenei, and that goes along with Auchindoun. We had dead orcs, but we've seen that before in TBC's Nagrand. We had dead trolls, but that seemed to be a voodoo thing. Alright, but then we have Admiral Taylor and his garrison, something that felt like a dropped thread to me. We also had Jarrod Hambly hanging around, I suppose we could say through the power of love. All in all though, it seemed like they were going to do something more with spirits than use them as a set up for Gorefiend. Otherwise, why throw in Ephial?
    Plenty of ghosts all over Azeroth as well. However, the Orcs are very shamanistic and have bonds with the elements and afterlife. This could be a reason for all the ghosts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Smank View Post
    But Kadgar, one of the most powerful mages in the world, said that he could only open the portal long enough to bring a few troops through. Lorewise portals don't work like they do in game, especially portals through time and dimension
    That was at the start. Since then they have been able to connect to and open portal to our Azeroth.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    Nearly every named hydra in draenor is a pun on various dragons / monsters in real world mythology or other things. I highly doubt there was anything more intended for them to be other then just a bit of pop culture reference / easter-egg type thing.
    Also they were a bitch to kill without a group so they could have been named to let you know they were tougher enemies. Not everything named has to serve a greater purpose.

- - - Updated - - -

To be fair, the ogre continent was just something dropped to let you know there was more to Draenor than the continent we were on. It was a whole planet not just a few zones on a continent we know from TBC/WoD.

10+ Year Old Account

Or the Iron Dwarves in Gorgrond, I wish they would've explained further. Especially that titan disk.

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post

Ghosts of Draenei in Shadowmoon = Sacrificed to Dark Star.
    Ghosts of Orcs in Shadowmoon = Sacrificed to Dark Star.
    Ghosts in Nagrand = Drawn to Oshu'gun, much like in our universe's Outland.
    Admiral Taylor's Ghost = All murdered by Ephial and his traitors
    Jarrod Hambly's Ghost = Killed by the Podlings

It's been a common trope in Warcraft that if you die particularly sudden or gruesomely, your ghost has the chance of remaining behind, tethered to where you die. It's reinforced in the Chronicle, where, in the Shadowlands, it is said:

Sometimes, the spirits roam the Shadowlands without resting. It can be because their resting place wasn't complete, because of a battle in their resting place or because the corruption of their resting place. To bring eternal peace to the souls, it is needed to destroy the source of corruption or by making a ceremony
    There doesn't HAVE to be some kind of sinister force at play for ghosts to remain behind. As I said, it can be a particularly sudden, gruesome, or unexpected death.

How did we get home from Draenor? Easy. The Mages are canonically able to bring us back to our universe. Khadgar does it, and until we're told otherwise, the mages who hold the portals open in Ashran can as well.
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2016-07-10 at 12:28 AM.