Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Anyone that has this running 60fps+ through Steam Link? I've got a few games running decently, but Doom is not one of them. Still running on my very old GFX card though, so that's potentially hitting it hard. Can't wait for my 1080.

Damn. Just finished my first run and that was way more fun than I was expecting; most fun I've had with a single player FPS in a long time. Think I'll start a new run on UV.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saladbar View Post
    Damn. Just finished my first run and that was way more fun than I was expecting; most fun I've had with a single player FPS in a long time. Think I'll start a new run on UV.
    I did an UV run, but I'm scared of trying Nightmare. Even UV gave me a really hard time, especially in the last mission... Need to build up courage before trying it.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by dragothica View Post
    So Bethesda released the whole DOOM Original Game Soundtrack on Youtube and streaming services like Spotify. Been listening to it couple of evenings already while grinding out stuff in WoW. Makes me want to play the game DOOM too, really should get into it this weekend..
    Yeah, listening to it now and man...I'm sold. Totally buying the game when I get home and playing this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Yeah, listening to it now and man...I'm sold. Totally buying the game when I get home and playing this weekend.
    Buy this version, definitely worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Hopps View Post
    Buy this version, definitely worth it.
    Too expensive (compared to the $30 base digital version on Steam atm), and I honestly can't remember the last time I bought a physical version of a PC game >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Too expensive (compared to the $30 base digital version on Steam atm), and I honestly can't remember the last time I bought a physical version of a PC game >.>
    It's only €50 for me. Can't be that much more wherever you live?

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Hopps View Post
    It's only €50 for me. Can't be that much more wherever you live?
    $80 on Amazon, $120 Gamestop, at least from the sites. Would have to check with local shops to see if they even have any in stock, but as cool as the revenant status is I'll pass due to the convenience of picking up the cheaper digital version. Thanks for the suggestion though : )

Some nice person gifted me DOOM on release and I loved the game, easily GOTY for me. I didn't plan to buy it either, but I still got it this week. That I didn't want to buy the statue before was more because it was a Revenant and not a Doomguy statue of this.

10+ Year Old Account
    What this game reeeeeeeeally needs... Is coop! Some of the funnest hours I've had in Doom 1/2 were coop runs with my brother. It is puzzling why they didn't implement this, especially given that there is dedicated multiplayer already.
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.

Doom 4 is almost perfect. You get exactly what you paid for.

Lorewise... doomguy from way back was trapped in hell. Doomguy just kept killing. Demons realize trapping him with them was a dog shit idea. Send titan demon. Doomguy rips him apart with his hands. Demons realize the threat. Demons overwhelm doomguy, imprison him and put him on ice, in fear of killing him will jedi buff him somehow "You can't win, Vader. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine" type shit. Some angel or fallen angel thing finds him, basically "ascends" doomguy into doomslayer while in the coffin stasis thing. Military find doomslayer's coffin (they go to hell??? or something???), study it, demons pop up. Doomslayer wakes up, murders demons.

^fix that if i'm wrong please. Everything is hazy and vague... but I wanna know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Haven't played the game but personally speaking, the story doesn't need to be that thought through. It's a DOOM game, you run around and shoot demons, that's it. Sometimes a story is nice but it should fit the play style and intent. Sometimes it's just nice to have a no story non sense and just go full ham, and yes that can be a positive depending entirely on the game it's trying to present.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Haven't played the game but personally speaking, the story doesn't need to be that thought through. It's a DOOM game, you run around and shoot demons, that's it. Sometimes a story is nice but it should fit the play style and intent. Sometimes it's just nice to have a no story non sense and just go full ham, and yes that can be a positive depending entirely on the game it's trying to present.
    You can try the game out on steam since it has a free demo, its about a 7GB download.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the story was pretty fitting. Not too serious, not too explanatory - just a framework to justify monster mashing.

..."that thought through"? So far all points indicate this doomslayer being the original doomguy from the end of doom 2, a game I played 21 years ago. He was killing demons back then. Now demons whisper his name because they think he'll pop out from under their beds and rip their throats out.

I'd like to know what he's been up to.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatsbybutters View Post
    ..."that thought through"? So far all points indicate this doomslayer being the original doomguy from the end of doom 2, a game I played 21 years ago. He was killing demons back then. Now demons whisper his name because they think he'll pop out from under their beds and rip their throats out.

The game itself lampshades this, as the Doomguy character destroys or interrupts a number of attempts to tell a cohesive story, so he can get back to the murder. He doesn't care and via his actions, insinuates the player doesn't care either.

The story really isn't important at all, it is there though, if you want it.

10+ Year Old Account

The way I understood it, the doomguy in Doom 1/2 was just a US marine, while the doomguy in the new Doom is the doomslayer who fought armies of demons in the past, in BC times.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorianrage View Post
    You can try the game out on steam since it has a free demo, its about a 7GB download.
    Might give it a shot.

Well, yes, it doesn't need to be thought through all that much, just a short blurb and go around murdering. Not every game needs a backstory or whatever, especially the run around murdering demons kind. Sometimes games don't need backstory or dialogue or text or whatever. Entire point is it depends on the game and what it wants to achieve. From what I've seen / heard, this DOOM (4) doesn't need that. Sometimes games get ruined by trying to convey a backstory or some sort of story where it just wasn't needed.

For example FEAR 1/2 vs FEAR 3. The 'story 'for 1/2 were pretty much just get you from point A to point B so you can murder more dudes or to do one of it's once in a while scare with a weird creepy girl or whatever, essentially to do what it was setting out to do without some other nonsense. The backstory was just short text (for 2) or one click audio logs that no one needed to bother or give a shit about, and I'd say the audio log was better cause you can click it and just run around killing dudes still. Then FEAR 3, aside from sucking ass at multiple levels even outside of story, the story was just so dumb and shoe horned with the unneeded cutscenes and dialogue that it destroyed the fun out of it and screwed the pacing of what made FEAR fun, shooting random dudes in slow-motion in a glorious fashion.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2016-10-02 at 10:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    The way I understood it, the doomguy in Doom 1/2 was just a US marine, while the doomguy in the new Doom is the doomslayer who fought armies of demons in the past, in BC times.
    I thought doom 3 guy was a normal marine, while the guy from 1/2 got trapped and ended up as doomslayer. The way it's worded I thought time just traveled faster in hell, so he was fighting for hundreds or even thousands of years before captured/found.

@ remilia cool beans you don't want a story for doom. All I was asking was for clarity on the story in a video game. People have different interests and what not.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought doom 3 guy was a normal marine, while the guy from 1/2 got trapped and ended up as doomslayer. The way it's worded I thought time just traveled faster in hell, so he was fighting for hundreds or even thousands of years before captured/found.
    Ah, that makes sense. I've always wondered what happened at the end of the first episode of Doom 1, where you get teleported to some dark room and slaughtered by demons - for some reason, I've never bothered to read the titles in Doom games. That's probably how he was captured.