Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    It's a weakness if you have to suppress your feelings for fear of being less manly.

Last time I cried was Opie dying in sons of anarchy.. that shit cut me deep.
    "There are no substitutes for violence of action and volume of fire. Move forward and shoot, always forward and shooting. The enemy will choose to fight and die or live and run either way move forward and shoot and he will fear you absolutely."
    - Otto Skoernzy

The fact that crying releases hormones that helps calming one down from an agitated state is reason enough for crying to be acceptable.

Men being supposed to not cry is a great thing. Because when you do it's ten times as effective!

When women cry I usually just shrug (unless it's a legit reason, crime victim etc.). When a man cries, even for average reasons, I'm instantly taken aback.

It's nature. If a woman see's a guy who's commonly crying all the time, she's going to sense his beta level and deem him unfit for mating.

I wouldn't blame anyone for crying after one of their family/pets died, but if you're a guy that can cry by looking at a sunset, you're probably a pussy.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

Deleted
    There are some uncomfortable truths here

Yes, men cry less than women, because men are emotionally stronger - this isn't social gender norms, it's just the way brains are wired

There is absolutely nothing wrong with crying as a man if a family member dies, or you're in a desperate situation

But if, as a man, you cry like women cry - for very minor things like "feeling overwhelmed" while sitting comfortably at home watching a soap on TV, then no one - man or woman - will ever respect you

Simply put, society expects you as a man to be stronger because you are stronger

Yes. Crying is a sign of weakness, but it is not limited only to men.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saradain View Post
    Good way for a woman to show she's not worth it then

Not only you're wrong, but also greatly displaying ignorance and massive ego.
    You are entitled to believe any distortion of reality that you choose to.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    If you need to keep your emotions in check because you are afraid it will be a turn off for the majority of women, which one of us is weak then?
    If I felt like crying, I would cry. I don't feel the need to cry over anything, hence I don't need to feel afraid to display my emotions. They're already displayed.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEyeJedi View Post
    So everyone knows the stereotype that men are not supposed to cry, but there are certain occasions where it its acceptable. Such as an immediate family member that has died/ family pet. However, I am have choked back a tear on some super sad movies. Mind you, it would not be a full blown cry, but maybe a tear. But for an actual cry was when my grandfather passed away 4 years ago (doesn't count), was like 15 years ago as a child. How often do you men cry, and what was the reason behind it. As a side note, women do you find an emotional guy attractive?
    The answer to the question is not found outside of you, it is within you will find the answer. Especially not in forum with random people.

Blocking off or restricting emotions is somewhat how people get programmed in our society, being emotionl makes you vulnerable in a sense. At the same time it takes strenght to put your self out there and be vulnerable. Over reacting emotionally is not good though, that is just emotional inbalance / underlying mental issue.

Some people i have met you just say something normal to and they start crying feeling that someone stepped on their toes. That is not how you should be, feeling emotional over something is not bad. A lot of people suffer from mental issues due to bottling up their emotions, including other things ofc since the topic is very complex.

If you want to discuss this in depth you can PM me.

Kind regards Ashiyo
    Take care have a nice day.
    Last edited by Ashiyo; 2016-07-08 at 10:28 AM.

It's a BS social construct. It's ok to cry, it's being human, with emotions and stuff.

As a side note, women do you find an emotional guy attractive?

It's not a sign of weakness, but of vulnerability. Showing that he does have emotions and can be affected. And yes I find it crazy attractive, it's almost a fetish

if you feel no emotion then you are hard

Deleted
    "The repudiation of one's own body, of femininity, becomes a psychic compulsion which associates masculinity with hardness, destruction, and self-denial."
    "The desire of the male ego is to be freed from all that can be identified with the female body: with liquidity, with warmth, and above all with a sensuality that is responsive to other human beings."

From: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...om_search=true

This was mostly affected by post-war mentality. However, remnants of it still lurk in nowadays´ society. Just like many people accept gay people because they are afraid of being looked down upon if they don´t.

A man crying is the most pathetic and sorry sight one can witness.

Deleted
    I'll just leave this here, for when people say "masculinity as hardness, self-denial etc" is a social construct, or a recent, post-war thing, or any of the other post-feminist pop-psychology gender role idiocy floating around:

This is from Ancient Greece, over 2000 years ago; it's a quote from Plato's Phaedo, the last moments of Socrates upon drinking the poison that would kill him:

---

"And, while he was saying this, he took the cup to his lips and, quite readily and cheerfully, he drank down the whole dose. Up to this point, most of us had been able to control fairly well our urge to let our tears flow; but now when we saw him drinking the poison, and then saw him finish the drink, we could no longer hold back, and, in my case, quite against my own will, my own tears were now pouring out in a flood. So, I covered my face and had a good cry.

You see, I was not crying for him, but at the thought of my own bad fortune in having lost such a comrade. Crito, even before me, found himself unable to hold back his tears: so he got up and moved away. And Apollodorus, who had been weeping all along, now started to cry in a loud voice, expressing his frustration.

So, he made everyone else break down and cry—except for Socrates himself. And he said: “What are you all doing? I am so surprised at you.

I had sent away the women mainly because I did not want them to lose control in this way. You see, I have heard that a man should come to his end in a way that calls for measured speaking. So, you must have composure, and you must endure.”

When we heard that, we were ashamed, and held back our tears. He meanwhile was walking around until, as he said, his legs began to get heavy, and then he lay on his back—that is what the man had told him to do."

--

Men have always been strong, and expected to not cry; because crying is a sign of helplessness, it is what children do

When things get desperate and helpless, it's always men who must stop crying and rise to action
    Last edited by mmoca8403991fd; 2016-07-08 at 10:47 AM.

Deleted
    So everyone knows the stereotype that men are not supposed to cry, but there are certain occasions where it its acceptable. Such as an immediate family member that has died/ family pet. However, I am have choked back a tear on some super sad movies. Mind you, it would not be a full blown cry, but maybe a tear. But for an actual cry was when my grandfather passed away 4 years ago (doesn't count), was like 15 years ago as a child. How often do you men cry, and what was the reason behind it. As a side note, women do you find an emotional guy attractive?
    Medieval idea that some gender isn't supposed to cry. Seriously, when were you born, 1890?

Man, woman, something in between, if you feel like crying, you cry. If the people around you can't handle it, change those people for better ones.

I think it has less to do with weakness and more to do with insecurity. And I'd argue that insecurity is a greater weakness, if anything.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    It's a bit sexist to say that men shouldn't cry because they're men. Crying is a method your body uses to relieve extreme stress. It most certainly is not a sign of weakness.
    Doesn't that mean that if you don't cry you do not have extreme stress or are more stress resistant? Thus making you superior in that regard.

That being said, for some reason I sometimes cry during the most stupid movies. Crying about anything else, maybe once in the last 10 years iirc. No one is going to blame you over for cyring over the loss of a lost one.

Deleted
    I find men that cry regular annoying and universally unattractive

Deleted
    it's just a way of venting. But if i ever cry, i always do it alone. Men tend to internalize their feelings and resolve them themselves. Nothing worse to me than having someone ask me if I'm ok and trying to offer advice.