Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

GTX 1070 or 1080 for WoW @ 3440x1440?

Do I really need a GTX 1080 just for WoW at 3440x1440 on High settings?

I don't really play much else, and the price difference between the two cards could be spent elsewhere.

Thanks!

I play currently at the same resolution (everything maxed) and that's with a GTX980. So the 1070 is more than adequate
    I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

This post is brought to you by the letters U and F (though not necessarily in that order)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Khazgrim View Post
    Do I really need a GTX 1080 just for WoW at 3440x1440 on High settings?

I don't really play much else, and the price difference between the two cards could be spent elsewhere.

Thanks!
    WoW is more based on CPU than it is GFX. I currently have the G1 gaming 1070 only at 1080 but will be upgrading shortly and my GFX util in WoW with everything max is about 60% so i imagine even with a bigger resolution a 1070 should still be able to handle it well.

Deleted
    No, I run WoW in 4K on high/ultra settings with a overclocked 970, the only thing I do is turn down the AA. AA drains a lot of power so I just use one of the lower settings so it makes the edges look a little bit smother. I've no problems at all maintaining 60 fps (I use v-sync because I hate tearing), if I unlock the fps I usually get about 100fps. But I've no idea what will happen when Legion comes, I'll probably just by a 2nd 970 of the same type and SLI them. My CPU is an overclocked i7 2600k clocked at 4,4Ghz and 16gb ram.
    Last edited by mmoc767940d6a7; 2016-07-08 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aastarius View Post
    I play currently at the same resolution (everything maxed) and that's with a GTX980. So the 1070 is more than adequate
    Same. However, something to note - despite getting like 120fps in the world, you will notice a significant dip in raids. Especially 25 man. This could be an issue with my processor, though. It's wee bit outdated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

If all you play is WoW, then a 1070 is going to be just fine. I have a 1080 myself, but I play other more demanding games as well.

PS:
    Since someone else brought it up:
    SLI doesn't work well with WoW, so if you're trying to solve performance issues, thats probably not your best option.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Veyne View Post
    Same. However, something to note - despite getting like 120fps in the world, you will notice a significant dip in raids. Especially 25 man. This could be an issue with my processor, though. It's wee bit outdated.
    That definitely is your CPU.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If all you play is WoW, then a 1070 is going to be just fine. I have a 1080 myself, but I play other more demanding games as well.

PS:
    SLI doesn't work well with WoW, so if you're trying to solve performance issues, thats probably not your best option.
    The idea that SLI doesn't work well with WoW is an old thing. It works fine since 6.0.

Deleted
    Got the GTX 1070 and everything runs extreemly well.

GTX 1080 is far overpriced in my opinion, but i guess when you swim in money then you can always go for the GTX 1080 but if you dont have the right monitor or plan to do VR gaming i would say this card is overpriced atm.

15+ Year Old Account
    My GTX 1070 / i5 6600K @ 4.1Ghz can run the game at 1920x1080 with 180% pixel scaling (3440x1440) with everything on ultra (including Geforce ultra high custom AA and max shadows) at between 110 and 150FPS depending on where I am.

You should be fine on High settings with a 1070 unless your GPU is completely potato.

Note that mine is an MSI Gaming X, not the Founder's Club card.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Quote Originally Posted by aastarius View Post
    if thats the case, then a 1060 will also do the same.. and still be cheaper than the 980

Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post

PS:
    I run 980TIs in SLI 2-way..there is absolutely nothing wrong with WoW and SLI if you take the time to actually set it up, and not just plug and play and expect it to work. SLI works fine but too many people have litte to no idea how to properly set it up and then claim it does not work properly.

People should do their own testing research on their machine instead of claiming as a whole something does not work well, because SLI works fine. Take the time to set it up correctly.

Of course the more important question is what is your budget and what is your current hardware setup.

If you don't have the budget for 1070 class GPU which fares around $400 right now (at minimum) you can go for an RX 480 (AMD just fixed the driver for power consumption)

1080 is overkill for Blizzard's games. Heck 1080 is not a worthwhile purchase unless you have a toaster as a GPU considering that 1080 Ti being around the corner.
    If you have the 980 and do have the budget wait for 1080 Ti elseway go with a AIB 1070 and later on get another to SLI them if your MoBo is compatible. Dx12 is built on Mantle and SLI/CF utilisation is coded in the API at low-level.

..and if 1070 is too much for you in price and you would insist on going nVidia, do not buy a 1060 6 GB unless it is SLI capable (3 GB version is said to be lacking an SLI connector but no clear information has been given for the 6 GB version, although it is highly unlikely for them to have such a difference in between the PCBs of the same card varying only VRAM)

Quote Originally Posted by 4dahorde View Post
    I run 980TIs in SLI 2-way..there is absolutely nothing wrong with WoW and SLI if you take the time to actually set it up, and not just plug and play and expect it to work. SLI works fine but too many people have litte to no idea how to properly set it up and then claim it does not work properly.

People should do their own testing research on their machine instead of claiming as a whole something does not work well, because SLI works fine. Take the time to set it up correctly.
    I did run SLI last with two 780s back in Pandaria, and back then the performance gain from SLI in WoW was laughable, even after careful and patient setup and tuning.

Now, I don't know if the situation did infact considerably improve in 6.0+, I have not had a SLI system since then, since the truth is that more and more recent games don't work well with SLI, or take several updates to make SLI work (and no amount of "setup" is going to make such games work), so I rather invest in the fastest single GPU I can get.

PS:
    The fact that it needs such careful setup is an argument in itself to not recommend SLI to the majority of people, in either case.
    People well versed in those topics (ie. those who know how to set such things up) wouldn't ask MMO-C for GPU advice.

In short, if you run such a setup and everything works fine for you - all the power to you. But recommending it to users on a forum that may as well not be quite as much PC proficient as you yourself, doesn't feel like a good recommendation.
    Last edited by Nevcairiel; 2016-07-08 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moggs View Post
    Wtf am I reading in this thread?

You do realise that a gtx1080 is the best gpu on the market, designed for top end ultra demanding 4K games?

And you come here asking if it can run a 2004 game like wow?

Are u mentally handicapped?

Hell, even a 5 year old card can run wow on max....

Such idiotic post really
    Actually, the 1080 might not even run Legion at 120 fps on max. It's not so much about the GPU, as other have said. It's also not the same game it was back in 2004.

On topic: You'll be fine with the 1070.

Deleted

You do realise that a gtx1080 is the best gpu on the market, designed for top end ultra demanding 4K games?

Such idiotic post really
    Wow someone just got hit up the ass with a sandpaper dildo. Was this really needed? Could you not have just ignored it?

Instead you come in here with someone asking for help and decide to start calling them mentally handicapped?

Seriously if this is only your second post do us all a favor and take your shitty ass attitude elsewhere

Such idiotic post really
    We're all so glad you managed to post something constructive and useful.

System requirements change over time and with the upgrades coming in Legion, Blizzard increased the minimum specs required/recommended. Asking if a 1070 would be capable to handle Legion with the settings he wants to use or if a 1080 would provide a meaningful improvement is a legitimate question even if some of us that are more technically inclined might think the answer is obvious.

The only idiotic posts so far in this thread have come from you.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikeost View Post
    But I've no idea what will happen when Legion comes, I'll probably just by a 2nd 970 of the same type and SLI them.
    I'd hurry up if I were you, the 970's will be on short supply very soon.

Deleted
    Haha i hurt the trolls itty bitty feelings.

Back on point the 970 price range really crashed when the 1070 came out so you can pick a bargain up at the moment, just remember you need a decent size PSU to play with SLI on.
    Last edited by mmocafde98d0b8; 2016-07-08 at 02:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll test it out right here and now with reading the FPS meter while outdoors in some Legion locations. Creating a 3440x1440 window with everything on max (setting 10, new legion terminology) and 2x MSAA (reasonable?) on a GTX 980. A clearly weaker card than the 1070.

Stormheim: 50-60 fps.
    Mardum: 60-80 fps.

Based on this little test (which could be larger but I'm not made of time ) and the fact that you can turn down a setting or two and still get a great looking game, I'd say the 1070 will do more than fine for this resolution.

edit: On the side track topic, I'd also like to chime in that SLI works well with this game. You can even get it working in windowed mode. A+ on SLI support. That said many combat scenarios are still CPU bound, of course.
    Last edited by Wries; 2016-07-08 at 03:21 PM.