Page 1 of 2
LastLast

New CPU and mobo and shit.

Say, I have around 500-800e next month to blow into a new mobo and a CPU. (maybe even SSD). What would be the best options to go for in that price range, not going to OC.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Isn't backseat moderating against rules or something?

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Not overclocking is about as silly as it gets. Please fill out the sticky related to these requests.
    Part of it could be confidence or knowledge.
    The prospect of overclocking would certainly be alien to those new to computers I imagine.
    Though that is not applying in this case.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Isn't backseat moderating against rules or something?
    No one is backseat moderating, we are just telling you that in order for us to help you, you need to fill out the sticky. By not filling out the sticky, you are not breaking any rules, we just tend not to help people who can't be arsed to fill out the sticky. We see dozens of requests line this daily and there is other information we need in order to help you. Rather than list out all the things and ask you specifically, we just ask that you fill out the sticky.

Please read and fill out the sticky if you want help.

Also, isn't it a little ironic that by asking us if we are back seat moderating, you are doing the same thing?

Not overclocking is about as silly as it gets.
    Yeah okay there. I'd like to see the explanation on this one.

go with the MSI gaming Z170A boards and an i5 6600K they also make overclocking a 1 click process with OC genie in the bios. I suggest getting a cooler master 212 Evo, or an H80i v2 CPU cooler.

It is easy, safe and extends the viability of a cpu by years.
    If anything, overclocking on today's smaller processes can decrease CPU life TO a few years. At any rate not everyone wants to deal with the settings change/stability testing dance or the extra heat from overclocking. Personally I stopped overclocking once I could afford better processors than the 300A.

This is ignoring the extra cost involved in buying a more expensive K-processor and Z-series motherboard itself which could just as easily be plowed into earlier upgrades down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Cows For Life View Post
    If anything, overclocking on today's smaller processes can decrease CPU life TO a few years. At any rate not everyone wants to deal with the settings change/stability testing dance or the extra heat from overclocking. Personally I stopped overclocking once I could afford better processors than the 300A.

This is ignoring the extra cost involved in buying a more expensive K-processor and Z-series motherboard itself which could just as easily be plowed into earlier upgrades down the line.
    OC'ing will still get you 5 - 6 years out of a modern CPU and most people upgrade with in 3 - 4 years so your not really gaining anything by not OC'ing

Not sure why you're so afraid of overclocking, but it's really not some big scary demon like some people seem to indicate.
    It's not, but outside of a few games like WoW, it does not really provide much either.

Say, I have around 500-800e next month to blow into a new mobo and a CPU. (maybe even SSD). What would be the best options to go for in that price range, not going to OC.

Well I just bought a i5 6600 quad core, a new smexy motherboard by asus that supports 64gb ramm and all the bells and whistles and 32gb ram ddr 4 (4*8gb) for 718 tax included canadian.
    Im sure you will be able to find that sort of awesomeness in your country or online for that price I hear newegg is great for that.

My oldish 750ti ddr5 ram video card and my 10,000rpm raptor drive allows me now to have a steady 100fps in raid in wow at ultra settings. DOOM at ultra settings also runs SmexY..... So I dunno try that combo. I hear 6th gen CPU are blowing away the I7's just like my cpu blows by my buddys 5th gen I7.

I also hear I can overclock my i5 6600 to 4.0ghz to 4.4ghz with no issues but I am currently using the stock fan that came with it so I wont be doing that soon.

But I do gotta say the skylake cpu is performing admirably.

BTW These people would like you to fill in this information.

Budget
    Resolution
    Games / Settings Desired
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc)
    Country
    Parts that can be reused
    Do you need an OS?
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)?
    Last edited by Nakotsu; 2016-07-07 at 10:54 PM.

Overclocking today doesn't cecrease a CPUs life enough unless you crank the voltage up and kill it. You honestly don't even have to do stability testing if you do a modest over clock. I can do a straight multiplier overclock and be perfectly stable on a 6700k without trying. The extra heat from overclocking is irrelevant if you bought a cooler that can cool it. And even if you didn't you bought a "k" series line (assuming skylake) didn't come with a stock cooler so you ended up with atleast a hyper 212 evo which you can overclock on. And even before overclocking the "k" series of chips is already stronger than it's non "k" brothers.

The cost isn't that much from a 6600 to a 6600k and a lower end motherboard to a asus z-170a for example.

Quote Originally Posted by krunksmash View Post
    OC'ing will still get you 5 - 6 years out of a modern CPU and most people upgrade with in 3 - 4 years so your not really gaining anything by not OC'ing
    People upgrade because their CPU isn't providing the desiried results. Overclocking could give you the desired results for a few years longer.

Earlier upgrades down the line that perform at a lower level than your overclocked CPU. Which, if OC'd using any number of guides, will easily last 5+ years. The only time you'd decrease the life to a few years is if you went insane with your power settings in hopes of getting a maximum stable OC. Which isn't really something that happens when people follow guides that indicate the maximum power settings.

Not sure why you're so afraid of overclocking, but it's really not some big scary demon like some people seem to indicate.
    Yeah overclocking isn't scary unless you don't double check your voltage settings and murder your CPU. Yeah their are a buttload of guides out there that will hold your hand through the process of not murdering your CPU and getting the desired overclocking results with little to no effort.

Overclocking doesnt really affect processor life these days. There are two prominent hazards for CPUs that are related to overclocking: overvoltage and continous overheating. First one is easily prevented by reading up, these days the manufacturer provides all the information on safe settings for their processor so your job is make sure you follow those. Overheat is prevented by the processor itself these days unless you manually disable it. Also, processor cooling has got much much better since AMD K7 when most CPU coolers barely hard any heatsinks.

Depends on how good your overclock is. If you get to 4.6Ghz or so you'll likely be good for the next 10 years on that CPU. There are people on 2500K's that would see little to no gain in upgrading their CPU.

People need to just read some guides and read them again. Watch a few videos that discuss the topic and pay attention to it. If you can't fully understand everything then that just means you'll want to stick closer to the guide and ask questions on OC forums before doing anything you're not sure about. By doing a little homework a processor that would normally only last someone 3-5 years could conceivably last them a decade if they get a decent enough OC out of it(and don't have a mobo failure that may force an upgrade). At the very least it'll last them 5+ years since processor speeds aren't really increasing at this point, it's the number of cores they're going nuts on. Like this 10 core monster Intel released recently.
    Well the upgrade is not only about the CPU. For example motherboards with Sandy Bridge CPUs dont support PCIe 3.0 which will limit the performance of some toplevel videocards and SATA Express SSDs. There are also gain from better memory.

all the above aside, Wilian if you wanna upgrade your cpu/mobo we need to know what you currently have and roughly what you use your pc for.

the sticky isn't there for fun, it saves us asking and you having to tell us what you would've told us if you just filled it out in the beginning.. it saves both of us becoming frustrated at "oh why didn't they do this" and "oh why are they making me do this." the answer to the why's is we can't provide accurate help, and in this case we simply cannot help at all without that information.

Deleted
    A sensible mild overclock has barely any impact on cpu's life. A 4.2-4.4 overclock most of the time has no downside unless you are that unlucky with silicon lottery that your chip needs that much voltage to sustain those. Remember that because you have say a 4.4Ghz overclock, the pc isn't always running at that speed unless you play cpu heavy games all days long, like wow raiding for 12 hours or something. Also some months back when testing with wow i had seen that a ~4.2Ghz or so overclock is enough to cap wow atm. Wasn't enough with previous expansion but on this one with the changes seemed enough. Monitoring for a couple months this expansion at 4.4GHz during raiding the max single core i had was around 80-85% usage and that is with a gen back cpu.

Anyway @OP fill out this sticky as others said:

Include the following information when posting a request.

• Budget
    • Resolution
    • Games / Settings Desired
    • Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc)
    • Country
    • Parts that can be reused
    • Do you need an OS?
    • Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)?

Ideally include a list of parts, we see the same request almost every day. There are other topics that have parts lists that you can copy and modify.

Earlier upgrades down the line that perform at a lower level than your overclocked CPU. Which, if OC'd using any number of guides, will easily last 5+ years. The only time you'd decrease the life to a few years is if you went insane with your power settings in hopes of getting a maximum stable OC. Which isn't really something that happens when people follow guides that indicate the maximum power settings.

Seems to be the assumption of everyone that stock speeds aren't adequate for an unspecified need.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    Overclocking today doesn't cecrease a CPUs life enough unless you crank the voltage up and kill it. You honestly don't even have to do stability testing if you do a modest over clock. I can do a straight multiplier overclock and be perfectly stable on a 6700k without trying. The extra heat from overclocking is irrelevant if you bought a cooler that can cool it. And even if you didn't you bought a "k" series line (assuming skylake) didn't come with a stock cooler so you ended up with atleast a hyper 212 evo which you can overclock on. And even before overclocking the "k" series of chips is already stronger than it's non "k" brothers.

The cost isn't that much from a 6600 to a 6600k and a lower end motherboard to a asus z-170a for example.
    $50 at least. Possibly more for higher quality overclocking boards. Regarding heat, I was speaking about the heat having to be dumped into whatever room you're in not the ability of a heatsink cooler to remove it from the physical device itself.

Seems to be the assumption of everyone that stock speeds aren't adequate for an unspecified need.

$50 at least. Possibly more for higher quality overclocking boards. Regarding heat, I was speaking about the heat having to be dumped into whatever room you're in not the ability of a heatsink cooler to remove it from the physical device itself.
    Around 100$ more for a ultimately better build. Worth it IMO. And heat isn't a big deal if you get too hot you'll be forced to go do something besides gaming, it's a unintended good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by the boar View Post
    all the above aside, Wilian if you wanna upgrade your cpu/mobo we need to know what you currently have and roughly what you use your pc for.
    i7 950 and gaming. Also kek at this whole discussion of OC, so triggered people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Technically, if its in the budget, regardless of need, it should be considered, as there are almost literally no downsides.
    i7 950 and gaming. Also kek at this whole discussion of OC, so triggered people.
    People aren't 'triggered'. its a common debate. People actually take it seriously when it comes to helping others and being informed.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    People aren't 'triggered'. its a common debate. People actually take it seriously when it comes to helping others and being informed.
    Yes they are triggered. I said I won't OC and it sparked a whole discussion which for most parts is not very helpful or supportive (not that it should be supportive necessarily but that's besides the point)