Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Overdose Death Rates

https://www.drugabuse.gov/related-to...se-death-rates

http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-ter...o-hear/5382818

I don't want to disrespect US lives lost due to terrorist acts but shouldn't the real battle be fightig drugs if you just compare the numbers?

Don't overdose? The biggest fallacy in this world is that people are looking out for you. You are ultimately responsible for yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    The "War on Drugs" actually came before the "War on Terror".

My chances of being hit by a bus in Beijing are greater than my chances of being hit by lightning. Nevertheless, I look both ways before crossing the street, and I don't run through thunderstorms waving a long, copper rod and yelling that all gods are bastards. The two are not connected and are not mutually exclusive, neither are measures to address terrorism and problem drug use.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raakel View Post

I don't want to disrespect US lives lost due to terrorist acts but shouldn't the real battle be fightig drugs if you just compare the numbers?
    decriminalize it, regulate it , tax it if need to be ,however the way prohibition is now is its no wonder people die from an overdose as they can't do it safely. Introduce policies like portugal and switzerland and you'll see the overdose rate crumble. /thread

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    The "War on Drugs" actually came before the "War on Terror".

My chances of being hit by a bus in Beijing are greater than my chances of being hit by lightning. Nevertheless, I look both ways before crossing the street, and I don't run through thunderstorms waving a long, copper rod and yelling that all gods are bastards. The two are not connected and are not mutually exclusive, neither are measures to address terrorism and problem drug use.
    the war on drugs has been way before the nixon administration , nixon only intensified it by targeting blacks and hippies

Quote Originally Posted by chrykoolaid View Post
    decriminalize it, regulate it , tax it if need to be ,however the way prohibition is now is its no wonder people die from an overdose as they can't do it safely. Introduce policies like portugal and switzerland and you'll see the overdose rate crumble. /thread
    You realize this thread is about overdosing? Not illegal drugs? Prescription pills are the number 1 cause overdoses and it is already legal.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synadrasa View Post
    You realize this thread is about overdosing? Not illegal drugs? Prescription pills are the number 1 cause overdoses and it is already legal.
    regardless its the same

But if war on terror is to preserve lifes of your people the number of casualties would point that preventing drug overdoses should be of higher priority. Of course there is no real relation between them and you're responsible for yourself. I just find it weird that it's somehow more OK to kill yourself ...

War on terror is much more important than combating people's recreational use of drugs. If I eat poison I should expect to have some adverse reactions. Terrorist literally break down the fundamental principles of society and threaten to unravel them.
    Last edited by Synadrasa; 2016-07-08 at 10:31 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raekel
    just find it weird that it's somehow more OK to kill yourself ...
    You may be young. Go back and educate yourself about the "War on Drugs" and get back to us.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    You may be young. Go back and educate yourself about the "War on Drugs" and get back to us.
    Lol. Such and edgy cringe-worthy comment. Are you sure you're not some pre-teen melodramatic girl?

Lost both my uncle and my grandfather to drug overdoses, my grandfather took his normal dose when released from prison but it was to much after years inside, died on a toilet on the trainstation hours after realese, my uncle died mixing alot of drugs so we think it was a drug suicide there.

Also had alot of friends overdosing but whatever it's their choices.
    Last edited by ParanoiD84; 2016-07-08 at 10:42 AM.

wtf, how you can have a so high rate of overdose deaths D:
    like 3 times than italy D:

Deleted
    Sometimes when there has been a successful police operation that either nets a bunch of contraband and/or the people distributing it there is a spike in ODs shortly after. This happens in smaller places where an addict is likely to use only one dealer until there is reason to change. The causes are probably twofold. One, heroin addicts have a short "drought" layoff or cutback and lose tolerance and "take up where they left off" as soon as they get their hands on some again with the ease they had before. Two, a new guy on the scene might not be stepping on something as hard as the last guy they bought from especially while establishing himself. The addicts take the same nominal amount.

I have a lot of ambivalence towards the legalisation idea. But control of potency is maybe one of the factors in its favour. Even when it isn't immediately creating emergencies it can cause a creep in how much someone is doing, without them intending to do so, due to the irregularity.

There is also a really big problem with prescription opioids "getting out in to the wild" in the US for either self use or as black market currency. These are often a contributory factor in ODs. Methadone needs to stop being a currency in some places between addicts (observed use at point of daily prescription issue) and pain relief opioids need to be far,far,far more sparingly prescribed. Other countries get by fine without handing percocet, vicodin, etc. out like smarties. They are arguably a gateway to heroin addiction and they certainly get used as padders in times of supply drought with established addicts accidentally killing themselves due to the combined effects.

The only reason terrorism gets more public attention in most places is spectacle. People shuffling off, in usually squalid circumstances, doesn't have the same ummpf to it as terrorism for the media and consequently politicians. Before 9/11 drugs were used to the same effect. If it wasn't a crack baby about to stab you then you were for sure going to get mown down in the middle of some rival's drive by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syandrasa
    Are you sure you're not some pre-teen melodramatic girl?
    I'm already twelve, and I was moved up a year because I'm ahead of the other girls.

We learned all about the War on Drugs and Donald Reagan and how he really had Alzheimer's so his wife ran everything with Goldman Sachs and astrologers! You and your friend need to go back and read about it, about how the government wanted to use the military for drug interdiction with things like AWACS and they started doing drug testing for all kinds of jobs but none of it worked and that's why El Chapo got rich.

The US actually has a history of declaring "war" on something and it not working. Before there was a War on Drugs there was War on Poverty, but we still have poor people too. The War on Drugs goes back to fears associated with a wave of Mexican immigrants after 1910, later leading to things like the Federal Bureau of Narcotics and similar things. If you'd had Ms DeGroot's class you'd know all this. You'd know that the US has spent a lot of money and effort to fight drugs and it hasn't worked. Ms DeGroot knew because she was at Woodstock and had pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by Raakel View Post

I will never understand what anyone would consciously take a hardcore addictive drug that can kill you. I have made some bad decisions in life but thank goodness that wasn't one of them.

15+ Year Old Account
    This has a lot to do with the fact Big Pharma got America hooked on Legal Heroin over the last 25 years or so

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/how...n-legal-heroin

Americans Consume 80 Percent Of All Prescription Painkillers, that's a staggering number.

According to the CDC, more than 28,000 Americans died from opioid overdoses in 2014. Incredibly, those deaths represented 60 percent of all drug overdose deaths in the United States for that year…
    Last edited by Khadgar; 2016-07-08 at 03:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by omeomorfismo View Post
    wtf, how you can have a so high rate of overdose deaths D:
    like 3 times than italy D:
    We also have 6 times as many people. One could say the US has less deaths per capita than Italy.

Quote Originally Posted by lokithor View Post
    We also have 6 times as many people. One could say the US has less deaths per capita than Italy.
    obviously counting the difference of population, or is 18 times more deaths :\
    Last edited by omeomorfismo; 2016-07-08 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Chief View Post
    This has a lot to do with the fact Big Pharma got America hooked on Legal Heroin over the last 25 years or so

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/how...n-legal-heroin

Americans Consume 80 Percent Of All Prescription Painkillers, that's a staggering number.

According to the CDC, more than 28,000 Americans died from opioid overdoses in 2014. Incredibly, those deaths represented 60 percent of all drug overdose deaths in the United States for that year…
    But when patients don't get their narcotics from hospitals they get pissed. They get pissed, they give low customer satisfaction scores. They give low customer satisfaction scores, medicare and medicaid reimburse less to a hospital. Yay healthcare!

People should wear body cams at all times while doing drugs that way we have a clear picture of the drugs killing them.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano