Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account

Artifact Knowledge Bonus%: From L1 to L25 Cap

The dev interview yesterday mentioned that Artifact Knowledge Research would indeed have a cap in Legion. The cap is going to be L25, at least initially. They did mention that they were open to the possibility of extending that cap later in the expansion.

Originally i had tried to do a projection which was doing alright up until L13, but then Shauren dropped some knowledge on us and linked the actual information gleaned right from the game files.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post41281581

Artifact Knowledge level 0: 0%
    Artifact Knowledge level 1: 25%
    Artifact Knowledge level 2: 50%
    Artifact Knowledge level 3: 90%
    Artifact Knowledge level 4: 140%
    Artifact Knowledge level 5: 200%
    Artifact Knowledge level 6: 275%
    Artifact Knowledge level 7: 375%
    Artifact Knowledge level 8: 500%
    Artifact Knowledge level 9: 650%
    Artifact Knowledge level 10: 850%
    Artifact Knowledge level 11: 1100%
    Artifact Knowledge level 12: 1400%
    Artifact Knowledge level 13: 1775%
    Artifact Knowledge level 14: 2250%
    Artifact Knowledge level 15: 2850%
    Artifact Knowledge level 16: 3600%
    Artifact Knowledge level 17: 4550%
    Artifact Knowledge level 18: 5700%
    Artifact Knowledge level 19: 7200%
    Artifact Knowledge level 20: 9000%
    Artifact Knowledge level 21: 11300%
    Artifact Knowledge level 22: 14200%
    Artifact Knowledge level 23: 17800%
    Artifact Knowledge level 24: 22300%
    Artifact Knowledge level 25: 24900%
    Last edited by Nihilan; 2016-07-08 at 09:24 PM.

I was wondering about this, thanks for offering your analysis!

For reference, the last "primary" artifact trait costs 1,245,840 AP, and the last secondary trait costs 4,605,000. So if the average sort of "base" AP item is around 300 AP, they'll be instead awarding 59,100. Still potentially taking awhile to crunch through those last levels.

Oversimplified napkin math suggests that it'll take around 55,000,000 AP to max out your secondary traits after you've filled in primary traits, so that's about 930 daily quests that award AP. Obviously this would be reduced by all sorts of things, like Emissary quests and random drops and Order Hall missions and such. More manageable, but still quite a bit.

For those with alts, it seems to be very strongly suggest that the best approach is to level all of your guys to 100 and then collect just enough Order Hall resources to consistently max out your Artifact Knowledge level, even if you don't otherwise play them. At max AK level, you can basically fill out the first half of your primary traits with a single daily Heroic.

Deleted
    Is the Artifact Knowledge account wide? If it is, would it stack from different alts?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuyek View Post
    Is the Artifact Knowledge account wide? If it is, would it stack from different alts?
    It is unique to each toon
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    It's character-specific.

It is not. But the more time it passes since release the faster you get work orders for Artifact Knowledge.

i.e:

- You get to 110 on your main character just three days into the expansion. A work order for AK will need 4-5 days to complete.
    - You get to 110 on your alter one month after release. A work order for AK will need around a day to complete.

I can confirm that 12 is 1,400%.

Quote Originally Posted by m12342 View Post
    I can confirm that 12 is 1,400%.
    The "pattern" in increases isn't consistent overall.. however:

L5, 200%
    L6, 275%(+75 from previous)
    L7, 375%(+100 from previous)
    L8, 500%(+125 from previous)
    L9, 650%(+150 from previous)
    L10, 850%(200 from previous)
    L11, 1100% (+250 from previous)
    L12, 1400%(+300 from previous)

Either 13 will be +350 or it may make the next "leap" to +400.

There is no way to extrapolate out to level 25 at this point.

Deleted
    Thank you for the data. Very interesting. Here's my own extrapolation:

11 1100.00%
    12 1400.00%
    13 1775.00%
    14 2243.75%
    15 2829.69%
    16 3562.11%
    17 4477.64%
    18 5622.05%
    19 7052.56%
    20 8840.70%
    21 11075.87%
    22 13869.84%
    23 17362.30%
    24 21727.87%
    25 27184.84%

How this was computed: I noted that

(100% + bonus at (N+1)th level) / (100% + bonus at Nth level)

was around 1.25, making every AK level provide a stacking multiplicative bonus of +25% AP overall.
    More precisely, according to the posted data these ratios are:

1 1.25
    2 1.20
    3 1.27
    4 1.26
    5 1.25
    6 1.25
    7 1.27
    8 1.26
    9 1.25
    10 1.27
    11 1.26

So, I projected the next levels keeping this ratio 1.25 for the next levels as well.
    Last edited by mmoc24bf4b24e6; 2016-07-08 at 07:09 PM.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I am curious, how did you do the projection?
    Bear in mind that i did this with office 2010 on my work computer (time well spent). I have never tried it with other spreadsheet programs, like Google Docs for example but i presume they will have similar functionality. I am assuming you have a basic familiarity with excell with regards to reading/creating charts and or graphs. I can give more detail if neccessary.

-First create a regular x/y chart using the first 11 known AK bonus values. The artifact levels should be the horizontal X axis and the bonus percent value on the vertical Y axis.
    -You should have two data series shown in the legend. One flat looking line across the bottom representing the Research level (blue if you used the default colors), and one curve with a gradual exponential incline representing the bonus % values (red with default colors).
    -Select the (red) series line and rightclick.
    -Select add trendline.
    -You will see a projection line appear on the chart.
    -Select the trendline and rightclick. Then select "format trendline".
    -In the format pane the first tab should show a list of extrapolation options for the trendline. Select them one at a time and you can see the projection change chape.
    -Select "Polynomial" then change the order value to 4 (or higher).
    -Below that, on the same tab of the trendline format pane should be a section called "Forcasting".
    -Add 14 Forcast periods (for a total of 25) then click okay.
    -The curve will be extrapolated out to 25+ data points.
    -Where the trendline projection curve intersects with the grid lines from the Y axis represents the estimated value of the projected AK bonus values.
    -You can add more resolution to the Y axis grid by fiddling with the formatting. I didnt bother to add much detail, so the values in my OP are pretty approximate.
    Last edited by Nihilan; 2016-07-08 at 07:15 PM.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    The "pattern" in increases isn't consistent overall.. however:

L5, 200%
    L6, 275%(+75 from previous)
    L7, 375%(+100 from previous)
    L8, 500%(+125 from previous)
    L9, 650%(+150 from previous)
    L10, 850%(200 from previous)
    L11, 1100% (+250 from previous)
    L12, 1400%(+300 from previous)

Either 13 will be +350 or it may make the next "leap" to +400.

There is no way to extrapolate out to level 25 at this point.
    If you have acess to excell, try and create your own graph using the technique i just descrbed. It only takes a few minutes if you know what youre doing. The polynomial porjection line is almost dead nuts on for the first 12 research levels. Im not suggesting that my numbers are spot on all the way out to L25, but i dont think they will be off by much.

Unless blizzard directly tinkers with specific levels like they did with Timewalking gear scale curves.

- - - Updated - - -

Hehe so you just picked a high order polynomial to minimize your Rsquare
    No judgement, just telling you that is a very bad way to make a projection
    Even without changing the values, its was pretty close.

- - - Updated - - -

Im hoping someone with better maff skills will come up with a decent formula for it.

TLDR: Get all your damn alts to 110 and farm the 500 resources every 5 days to at least keep your artifact research rolling.

Deleted
    This thread is amazing. I hope the mathematicians here will take it seriously.
    There really need not be a formula tbh. The numbers could be arbitrary (in that the series they form does not obey an underlying rule governing its terms.
    Yes. An alternative is that they will keep tuning it as they go along. Blizzard are known to not tune catch-up systems very early but look for player impressions first and results of gameplay.

For example "hrm, all those people seem to be behind and we get complains they are refused raid spots, time to make the catch-up more rigorous".
    Last edited by mmocdc260e8e2a; 2016-07-08 at 07:58 PM.

There really need not be a formula tbh. The numbers could be arbitrary (in that the series they form does not obey an underlying rule governing its terms.
    Have to agree... they may have an idea of the increment curve they want it to follow... but not only are they likly to tweak it as we go along... they may completely change the scale before launch.

Deleted
    TLDR: Get all your damn alts to 110 and farm the 500 resources every 5 days to at least keep your artifact research rolling.
    Truth! I usually play 2 chars total, but I should get my second up before raid launches (I usually do that anyway).

Deleted
    Here is a fast rendering of the proven results (up to the 12th). It seems to be taking a sudden jump after the 5th-6th, presumably to keep some slacking during early levelling.

Deleted
    Sorry I've been out of the loop a while but what is level 25? Does your order hall have a level or something now?

Do you have to be 110 to start researching AK? I mean can you just log in with an alter just to research it, so when you finally start using your alter you have already a good amount of AK?

1 common world quest give 375-450+ resourses. And knowing that in the future research will take less and less time i don't see any reason to rush alts to 110 lvl. Unless you want to play with all alts at top level (aka mythic raids) as soona s possible.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sinsla View Post
    Sorry I've been out of the loop a while but what is level 25? Does your order hall have a level or something now?
    You level Artifact Research: not related to your actual hall. You can check it on the Artifact Weapon screen. You increase it by submitting work orders that cost 500 resources... and (currently)to begin with it takes 5 days to complete... at some point it reduces to taking 4 days.. then 3, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ReVnX View Post
    Do you have to be 110 to start researching AK? I mean can you just log in with an alter just to research it, so when you finally start using your alter you have already a good amount of AK?

If I recall correctly, yes... but the quests were wonky and out of phase, so it's possible it was there earlier... still level 110 in 10-12 hours playing fairly continuously will get you there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lukoil View Post
    1 common world quest give 375-450+ resourses. And knowing that in the future research will take less and less time i don't see any reason to rush alts to 110 lvl. Unless you want to play with all alts at top level (aka mythic raids) as soon as possible.

We really don't know exactly how quickly it will goes from 5 days, to 4 days, to 3, etc.... he said weekly.. BUT that could have been an example... and even if we can take it literally, he never said it started right away... it may be a month in before they turn that work order time reduction (catch up) on.
    Last edited by Maudib; 2016-07-08 at 08:25 PM.