Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Binki View Post
    What? US is telling other countries what to do all the time. State department tells other countries what to do on daily basis. US sends large amounts of money to politicians in other countries, directly interfering with political processes. Hell, they even forced UK banks to pay fines for doing business with countries that US doesn't like. How is that not dictating anything?

No other country does that on such scale.
    True n USA calls their pres "leader of the free world" while having 100s mil bases around the world without elections to agree on that presence, instead they get foothold due to bribery n intimidation n scaremongering. NATO needs to go n USA pull back their troops for world domination before they can lecture on freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    No one dictates anything. .
    tell that to all the countries that US brought "democracy" by force when nobody there wnted it in first place.

and then you have china which is a non democratic country and is already atm much stronger then us and will only continiue to grow in force.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    tell that to all the countries that US brought "democracy" by force when nobody there wnted it in first place.
    S-Korea, Japan, Germany....

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    and then you have china which is a non democratic country and is already atm much stronger then us and will only continiue to grow in force.
    The dictatorship in China is so strong that they need to use tanks agenst students....if a student protest is so dangerus that you need to use that extreme action then you are very weak.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    S-Korea, Japan, Germany....

The dictatorship in China is so strong that they need to use tanks agenst students....if a student protest is so dangerus that you need to use that extreme action then you are very weak.
    Or it could be the most effective way to put down a protest the quickest. China is not weak at all, both in terms of economy or military. They are not hindered by the restraints we have in the US such as liberty and freedom. Which of themselves do come with a price.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keeponrage View Post
    Actually, in this context "colorful" is a much closer translation, as synonym to "eccentric", "vivid". "Bright" also means "smart" in English, and it is surely not what Putin meant.
    In context bright works as well and is the exact translation. Zvetnoy would have been used for colorful, because that's what it means. Colorful works far worse, in both the question he is answering, and the exact translation.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Its funny how kremlinists are calling the US on leader of the free world as if they got free will at all in Russia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    It's Alpha to run your country into the ground?
    And make yourself filthy rich while doing it? Dam straight it is. Means you are most important, bottom line.

Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    After 30 years of republican propaganda running through my veins. I found myself on the fence. I changed to no party preference and cast my vote for Bernie in the primary.

After 7 years of Obama hating I find myself really enamored in his last year.

I'm still not fond of what Obama care did to my personal health care plan. The level of coverage and subsequent quality of care has diminished since its implementation. But I still see the plan as necessary.

so in other words.....

Obama pulled your pants down and screwed you and you think it was for the betterment of everyone.......

THERE ARE NOW LESS PEOPLE with health care then before Obama care.....

this is because ton's of people can't afford the healthcare that cost more for less coverage that people ACTUALLY NEED *aka you don't need free condoms insurance*

this is because they are not poor enough to get a reduced price so they end up paying THE FINE!

basically what Obama did was take the healthcare from lower/middle class and gave it to the poor not working and then gave a fine to the lower/middle class for not buying his *great* health care plans mandated that you must have.

the only healthcare people should be required to pay is CATASTROPHIC insurance because that is what makes people bankrupted, instead we got this force plan one size fits all and in 1 year i will have to buy my own insurance which includes MATURINITY as a single man.......cause we know single men pop out babies all on their own!

i don't need that and i don't need condom insurance for free condoms......what i need is dental/eye/and cata and check ups, not all this overpriced garbage i will never use......or rather just pay out of pocket
    Last edited by Arthas242; 2016-07-09 at 02:56 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibito View Post
    Its funny how kremlinists are calling the US on leader of the free world as if they got free will at all in Russia.
    Damn that putin control peoples brainz, he is a commie-Dr.Xavier!!!oneone

Quote Originally Posted by Ser Arthur Dayne View Post
    Damn that putin control peoples brainz, he is a commie-Dr.Xavier!!!oneone
    Ignore shitito. He just appears just to verbally attack. He is incapable of holding, participating or adding anything of interest to a conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulmita View Post
    Ignore shitito. He just appears just to verbally attack. He is incapable of holding, participating or adding anything of interest to a conversation.
    Is this the part where we link freedom indexes or are you going to bugger off for another 2 weeks?

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    In context bright works as well and is the exact translation. Zvetnoy would have been used for colorful, because that's what it means. Colorful works far worse, in both the question he is answering, and the exact translation.
    I registered specifically to clear this misunderstanding. Hello from Russia.

Creotor and Keeponrage were right. The word that Putin has used - "yarkii" (яркий), can't be translated as "bright" in this context. "Bright" often speaks of person's intellectual faculties. As you can see, some people were confused about your incorrect translation, for example:
    "Does that mean he thinks Trump is smart...?"

Actually, he does not. Words like "flashy" and "colourful" would be more appropriate. While "bright" is a one way of translating this word, it hides double meaning and should not be used in such a way.

Source - well, it's my mother's tongue after all.
    Last edited by Munpin; 2016-07-09 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    Is this the part where we link freedom indexes or are you going to bugger off for another 2 weeks?
    This is the part you that you go out and try to de-sheep yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthas242 View Post
    so in other words.....

Obama pulled your pants down and screwed you and you think it was for the betterment of everyone.......

THERE ARE NOW LESS PEOPLE with health care then before Obama care.....

this is because ton's of people can't afford the healthcare that cost more for less coverage that people ACTUALLY NEED *aka you don't need free condoms insurance*

this is because they are not poor enough to get a reduced price so they end up paying THE FINE!

basically what Obama did was take the healthcare from lower/middle class and gave it to the poor not working and then gave a fine to the lower/middle class for not buying his *great* health care plans mandated that you must have.

the only healthcare people should be required to pay is CATASTROPHIC insurance because that is what makes people bankrupted, instead we got this force plan one size fits all and in 1 year i will have to buy my own insurance which includes MATURINITY as a single man.......cause we know single men pop out babies all on their own!

i don't need that and i don't need condom insurance for free condoms......what i need is dental/eye/and cata and check ups, not all this overpriced garbage i will never use......or rather just pay out of pocket
    This is just completely false. If you want to have a discussion or contribute to the thread, you can start by not blatantly lying.

http://obamacarefacts.com/uninsured-rates/

According to the CDC and Census data, for the first three months of 2015 the uninsured rate is 9.2% down from 15.7% before the Affordable Care Act was signed into law. For just the 18 -64 demographic the same study shows the uninsured rate at 13% down from 22.3% in 2010 when the ACA was signed into law. These represent the lowest uninsured rates in over 50 years according to the study.

Another highly respected survey from Gallup showed that as of January of 2015 (before the 2015 open enrollment period data) the uninsured rate was 12.9% (average from fourth quarter of 2014). By the second quarter of 2015 the uninsured rate had fallen to 11.4%, down from 11.9% in the first quarter of 2015. This was down from a high of 18% and a low of 14.4% in 2008.
    I am sure that you will inevitably try to paint this as propaganda or some other ridiculous conspiracy theory. I am also sure that you ascribe to the opinion that "climate change" doesn't exist and is a fabrication.
    Last edited by A dot Ham; 2016-07-09 at 04:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Munpin View Post
    I registered specifically to clear this misunderstanding. Hello from Russia.

Creotor and Keeponrage were right. The word that Putin has used - "yarkii" (яркий), can't be translated as "bright" in this context. "Bright" often speaks of person's intellectual faculties. As you can see, some people were confused about your incorrect translation, for example:
    "Does that mean he thinks Trump is smart...?"

Actually, he does not. Words like "flashy" and "colourful" would be more appropriate. While "bright" is a one way of translating this word, it hides double meaning and should not be used in such a way.

Source - well, it's my mother's tongue after all.
    Hello from Russian born, American residing. My mother was a speech therapist for mentally challenged. As in, teaching them how to speak.

Out of context, does it mean bright?
    In context, would Zvetnoy, mean what you are suggesting?

Bright does mean smart or intelligent, but it's a borderline condescending version there of. For those taking SATs... Bright is to smart, as cute is to beautiful. The answer he gave in the context, was pretty much 'he has to be... Right?'.

I think my mother wins. (Don't mean to offend. I mean teaching and all. I am not saying anything bad about your mother. I apologize if it sounds as I am, that is not my intention. I am sorry.)
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Holy shit the amount of shilling in the title...

Anyways. Fareed Zakaria is one of the most respected journalist around. How the fuck do you think he even got the spot to interview Putin, the Italian PM and the uh.. other guy that I don't remember where he was from...
    REspected Journalist? LMAO
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    He probably wants Trump only because he knows how thin skinned and easily predictable he is and can bait him into doing dumb shit.
    No that's Obama. "We are leaving Iraq on this day" (Next day) ISIS rolls in.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Hello from Russian born, American residing. My mother was a speech therapist for mentally challenged. As in, teaching them how to speak.

Out of context, does it mean bright?
    In context, would Zvetnoy, mean what you are suggesting?

Bright does mean smart or intelligent, but it's a borderline condescending version there of. For those taking SATs... Bright is to smart, as cute is to beautiful. The answer he gave in the context, was pretty much 'he has to be... Right?'.

I think my mother wins. (Don't mean to offend. I mean teaching and all. I am not saying anything bad about your mother. I apologize if it sounds as I am, that is not my intention. I am sorry.)
    Yes, of course, "bright" is the most common way to translate this word (out of context).

As to "zvetnoy" - just to clarify, did you mean "colourful" in Russian? Again, if we are talking about an exact translation, "krasochnii" would be closer, wouldn't it? "Zvetnoy" is acceptable too though. Nevertheless, the word "zvetnoy" can't be used to describe a person's character (it's strictly a definition of colour), while it's perfectly fine to say "he has a colourful character" in English. And in this case "colourful character" and "yarkii harakter" (the meaning Putin implied) are more or less synonyms.

Anyway, let's move to the most important point of our argument. What did Putin actually say?

"I said that Trump is a *** person (Putin wasn't implying that Trump is smart, clever, sharp-witted or anything like this, that I can tell for sure). Don't you think so? He's ***."

Why I'm so opposed to using "bright"? It's because this word can be interpeted in the wrong way by some users, which has already happened. Once again, I assure you that Putin didn't praise his brains or something like this. "Yarkii" in this context assumes that he is... well... charismatic. In support of my opinion - when Fareed claimed that Putin had described Trump as "brilliant, talented and smart candidate" Putin replied that Fareed distorted the facts. He only said that he's *** and nothing more.

Going a little off-topic for a moment. You've mentioned that "At 3:10, he isn't saying they were 'shooing' away international observers, but that that they were threatened with jail."
    Well, yes, you're absolutely right, there was no translation of his phrase about threatenings with jail. But he did, in fact, say "shooing away", using the word "otgonyayut".

If we are talking about the meaning of words in question in the context of this video, then I'm pretty sure I'm correct. Sorry for the wall of text.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulmita View Post
    This is the part you that you go out and try to de-sheep yourself.
    By listening to Russia Today, I gather?
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    By listening to Russia Today, I gather?
    Start by listening the US senator first and we talk about media after