Thread: UEFA Euro 2016

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    You haven't seen the game have you? Germany started pressing at the opponent's box. There was a phase France couldn't even get to the middle line when they had the ball. That's total domination. The game turned only after a set piece that was highly controversial. Injury did the rest and the game was fucked. France was clearly not the better team, though. Just before the goal, you could see panic in their eyes. They knew if things continued like that, they'd tire in the second half and be buttraped.

So yes, Germany did dominate. Possession is a result of that, but not the reason why people say that.
    It depends. France played better in the first ~10 minutes. Then Germany could turn the tables and dominate for ~30. But basically, that was it. The goal at the end of the first term sucked for the Germans. The luck of the game (don't know if you can say that in English, the "Spielglück") was on the side of the French. But it was a clear penalty, not really worthy of discussion - except in Germany it seems, looking through the news / social media there.
    In the second half, the Germans tried to make the game, but they were not really dangerous. I never had the feeling that a goal could fall any minute. Except a few high balls (the only really dangerous one was fished out by Lloris) and the shot of Kimmich from afar they just couldn't get through. And obviously they "dominated" the last ~10-15 minutes again, but France let them and focused on the defense - which they could comfortably do with 2 goals ahead, and Germany lacking the creativity in their offense.

So all in all: Better team? Yes. Dominated? No, for the most part. So the guy you quoted was right, though a better formulation would be:
    They did have the posession, but what they did with it wasn't enough to become really dangerous.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think I've seen anyone as salty as Slant, maybe that Russian guy who came in for the first part and strangely disappeared after they got dumped out.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    I don't think I've seen anyone as salty as Slant, maybe that Russian guy who came in for the first part and strangely disappeared after they got dumped out.
    You guys aren't reading my text properly. I'm far from salty, but I'm saying as it is. A set piece turned this game around. Fair's fair.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    You haven't seen the game have you? Germany started pressing at the opponent's box. There was a phase France couldn't even get to the middle line when they had the ball. That's total domination. The game turned only after a set piece that was highly controversial. Injury did the rest and the game was fucked. France was clearly not the better team, though. Just before the goal, you could see panic in their eyes. They knew if things continued like that, they'd tire in the second half and be buttraped.

So yes, Germany did dominate. Possession is a result of that, but not the reason why people say that.
    This is what Man Utd have done under LVG for the past two seasons. Look where that got us. Leicester won the league averaging I think less than 50% possession. It's a completely pointless stat, these days there are a lot of teams that play really well without the ball, see Atléti as well.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    You guys aren't reading my text properly. I'm far from salty, but I'm saying as it is. A set piece turned this game around. Fair's fair.
    i found strange that germany got a warning for a similar defensive error (boateng against italy) that almost cause their elimination in quarter final, and yet, they learned nothing. is it that Low didn't prepare well enough its defenders?

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, from your last lot of posts you come across so salty that if you went swimming in the English Channel everyone would float from all the extra salt. Maybe we're reading it wrong, who knows.

Deleted
    The reason may be: Many German fans were acting that way in the past few days. Against Italy: We were so much better, good that we kicked those excuses for footballers who only dive out of the tournament. Against France: We were so much better and got robbed of our win by the referee (That wasn't a penalty! Giroud fouled Neuer!). Or complaining that some French fans booed the Germans in the beginning, when the German fans were singing "Scheiß Italiener" in the Stadium for minutes in that game. So at first they proved to be arrogant winners, and after that sore losers.
    Compare that for example to the English: Many try to pin the errors to single people (the coach always being a good target). But they look at their OWN TEAM and look at what they have done wrong for the most part. Not at how they were wronged by others, or how they deserved to win because the others play so much worse.
    Note: Not talking about you, specifically, but German fans in general these past few days. Sometimes, I really have to "fremdschämen" about what I'm reading.
    Last edited by mmoc48c29aaf6e; 2016-07-09 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    This is what Man Utd have done under LVG for the past two seasons. Look where that got us. Leicester won the league averaging I think less than 50% possession. It's a completely pointless stat, these days there are a lot of teams that play really well without the ball, see Atléti as well.
    Ok, for the absolutely slow people... I don't give a shit about possession. I'm talking about high pressing and not letting France out of their half even on the counter. Possession is a natural side effect, it's not the reason you do this. I don't give a shit about Manchester United, they're a second tier team by now, buying old farts to supplement their already pension age squad. The game would've been painful for France if the set piece hadn't turned everything around. It wasn't even a counter or anything France did, it was a set piece that decided the game.

So when I say Germany has been dominating the first half, I suggest people think about it, before talking bullshit about me being salty or whatever.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    i found strange that germany got a warning for a similar defensive error (boateng against italy) that almost cause their elimination in quarter final, and yet, they learned nothing. is it that Low didn't prepare well enough its defenders?
    I think it's simple idiocy and the experience that in CL, no ref would have given that pen.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Forsta View Post
    The reason may be: Many German fans were acting that way in the past few days. Against Italy: We were so much better, good that we kicked those excuses for footballers who only dive out of the tournament. Against France: We were so much better and got robbed of our win by the referee (That wasn't a penalty! Giroud fouled Neuer!). Or complaining that some French fans booed the Germans in the beginning, when the German fans were singing "Scheiß Italiener" in the Stadium for minutes in that game. So at first they proved to be arrogant winners, and after that sore losers.
    Compare that for example to the English: Many try to pin the errors to single people (the coach always being a good target). But they look at their OWN TEAM and look at what they have done wrong for the most part. Not at how they were wronged by others, or how they deserved to win because the others play so much worse.
    Note: Not talking about you, specifically, but German fans in general these past few days. Sometimes, I really have to "fremdschämen" about what I'm reading.
    I wasn't acting like that. I said time and again that Italy is our Kryptonite. I wasn't gloating over Italy, either. I respected them and expressed how relieved I was at getting past them, because I would've bet money that it was Italy where we went out. I've never actually thought we'd go to the final, so this semi isn't too bad. Going out in semis is always something you can be proud of. It's the 4 best teams in the tournament. I'm not pissed that we went out. I'm pissed that suddenly everyone thinks they can disrespect Germany or the fans... "Finally Germany lost, let's have fun and be tossers about it!"

This is even more annoying as it comes from English fans mostly. People who're still deluded into thinking the EPL means something, Manchester is the best team in Europe, Rooney is the best whatever-he-currently-plays and England would be the best NT in the world, if only the rest of the world played properly and didn't do the pesky goal shooting, defending and shit.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

Deleted
    I wasn't acting like that. I said time and again that Italy is our Kryptonite. I wasn't gloating over Italy, either. I respected them and expressed how relieved I was at getting past them, because I would've bet money that it was Italy where we went out. I've never actually thought we'd go to the final, so this semi isn't too bad. Going out in semis is always something you can be proud of. It's the 4 best teams in the tournament. I'm not pissed that we went out. I'm pissed that suddenly everyone thinks they can disrespect Germany or the fans... "Finally Germany lost, let's have fun and be tossers about it!"

This is even more annoying as it comes from English fans mostly. People who're still deluded into thinking the EPL means something, Manchester is the best team in Europe, Rooney is the best whatever-he-currently-plays and England would be the best NT in the world, if only the rest of the world played properly and didn't do the pesky goal shooting, defending and shit.
    That's why I said that you, specifically, were not meant by my post, but German fans in general. All the hate they've got coming for them right now is well deserved. And those who really care about their own team and are more modest about it are caught in the crossfire of hate and flames.

So, even though I'm neutral, I'm on some level happy about Germany losing: Sad for the team, most of the players seem like nice people and really good players. But what many German fans and in part the media has shown in the past few days was incredibly arrogant and hateful.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsta View Post
    That's why I said that you, specifically, were not meant by my post, but German fans in general. All the hate they've got coming for them right now is well deserved. And those who really care about their own team and are more modest about it are caught in the crossfire of hate and flames.

So, even though I'm neutral, I'm on some level happy about Germany losing: Sad for the team, most of the players seem like nice people and really good players. But what many German fans and in part the media has shown in the past few days was incredibly arrogant and hateful.
    I have never seen what you described. German media was full of the Italy curse that everyone (including the media) said would be our downfall this tournament. And I've not seen one single post on any forums where German fans were disrespecting anyone. This must be a very exclusive experience you've had.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, for the absolutely slow people... I don't give a shit about possession. I'm talking about high pressing and not letting France out of their half even on the counter. Possession is a natural side effect, it's not the reason you do this. I don't give a shit about Manchester United, they're a second tier team by now, buying old farts to supplement their already pension age squad. The game would've been painful for France if the set piece hadn't turned everything around. It wasn't even a counter or anything France did, it was a set piece that decided the game.

So when I say Germany has been dominating the first half, I suggest people think about it, before talking bullshit about me being salty or whatever.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it's simple idiocy and the experience that in CL, no ref would have given that pen.

- - - Updated - - -

Lol that anti-English rant at the end is golden. Salty.

Deleted
    I have never seen what you described. German media was full of the Italy curse that everyone (including the media) said would be our downfall this tournament. And I've not seen one single post on any forums where German fans were disrespecting anyone. This must be a very exclusive experience you've had.
    Just an example from this very thread, from after the game against Italy.
    Quote Originally Posted by XTRWLT View Post
    Finally we kicked those poor footballers out...

Really. How you can defend the style those arrogant italians play football?
    They never did anything and just stood with 9 man before their goal and hoped the germans wont come through.

Diving at every single touch (or even if there wasnt one).

Portugal and Italy shouldnt even be in the quarter finals imo. But whatever thats the game i guess
    Or (note: example of fans, not the media): http://www.gmx.at/magazine/sport/fus...nlich-31673168
    Feel free to read through the comments there. While many are quite normal, so many are facepalm-material.
    Or another example, when it was too much even for the manager of the german team: http://www.sueddeutsche.de/news/spor...0705-99-572822

[e] Just a warning: both links are in german.
    Last edited by mmoc48c29aaf6e; 2016-07-09 at 12:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The corner came from a French counter... That's how corners tend to happen.

Man Utd press and dominate possession, create some few chances, and do nothing with them. That was Germany.

The fuck? Boateng gave away the exact same pen in the previous game. How is that even controversial? Schweinsteiger is a Man Utd player, so really, I should be defending him, but no, you can't superman in with your arms up like that and expect not to give something away. Otherwise everyone would just make themselves big with their arms up when a set piece comes in.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankLampard View Post
    Slant is salty as fuck.
    I don't think I've seen anyone as salty as Slant,
    I'm far from salty,
    Honestly, from your last lot of posts you come across so salty
    I suggest people think about it, before talking bullshit about me being salty or whatever.
    Salty.

What is it with this word, I seriously wonder?! I have never read it anywhere else in this context, only this board.
    Is this an inside joke or something? I read it all the time here.

Lol that anti-English rant at the end is golden. Salty.
    LOL, that's funny. I mean salty basically just means you're butthurt about it, but hey go ahead and call me salty. What's funny is how English fans behave on forums.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by coprax View Post
    What is it with this word, I seriously wonder?! I have never read it anywhere else in this context, only this board.
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=salty
    Quite common on the internet. I think the most accurate term describing it would be "bitter" - i.e. being salty about something = being bitter about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    The fuck? Boateng gave away the exact same pen in the previous game. How is that even controversial? Schweinsteiger is a Man Utd player, so really, I should be defending him, but no, you can't superman in with your arms up like that and expect not to give something away. Otherwise everyone would just make themselves big with their arms up when a set piece comes in.
    Boateng's pen was a no brainer. Schweinsteiger wasn't half as obvious and most refs wouldn't have given it in the semi of the CL if it was the return leg and a game deciding situation. That's all I'm saying. Disbelieve it all you like, but it just shows that you don't watch a lot of football. Refs usually, really, really, really don't like to give pens like that.

It's technically probably the correct call, after watching several replays and taking the rule to the letter. But that's not how refs do it in practicality. They much rather have a game decided on the game rather than their decision.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by coprax View Post
    No, it's the children here thinking they're witty. Some internet buzzword bullshit once more.

LOL, that's funny. I mean salty basically just means you're butthurt about it, but hey go ahead and call me salty. What's funny is how English fans behave on forums.
    Says the arrogant German, who judging by his posts and signature, is also a narcissistic little kid.

Germany were boring as fuck. France were clinical. Get over it.

Deleted
    Although I don't really enjoy reading @Slant's posts since he is arrogance personified in about 90% of his posts, I do agree that Germany were the superior team in the first half. The penalty changed everything, and it was a mixture of Germany's failure to keep their composure in second half, but also France's merit to reduce the number of chances Germany had to score.

Although it was indeed a penalty in favor of France, I think there was also a penalty in favor of Germany in the first half, which was not awarded. Adding to this, the ref's criteria in awarding fouls was not equal to each team, despite not having any major decision (penalties, goals disallowed, etc) in the second half that harmed Germany, it was only the little things.