Deleted

Replacement for GTX 550 TI

Hi all.

I bought my computer long ago and have only upgraded my harddrive since then.
    I have been okay with WoW running on normal settings untill now. It seems to be lagging more and more in raids, and it's starting to bug me.
    I'm now looking for a cheap, but still a decent upgrade for my graphics card.

As said, it has to be fairly cheap, but still noteworthy in game changes.
    I am by no means into what to look out for in a card, so I'm asking for your help.
    Also, I'm still studying, so money is tight - I would be happy if a graphic card, which fulfills the above, wouldn't cost me more than 150$

What can you suggest and why?

My currenct specs are:
    i5-2320 3.00 GhZ processor
    8gb ram (Cant tell you more)
    256gb Samsung Evo SSD
    1TB HDD
    GTX 550 TI

Thanks in advance.

GFX card will not help you much in raids, unless you run them at high settings.
    What will help you the most by far is buying an unlocked i5 and overclocking it to 4,5+.

Quote Originally Posted by Baenesur View Post
    Hi all.

I bought my computer long ago and have only upgraded my harddrive since then.
    I have been okay with WoW running on normal settings untill now. It seems to be lagging more and more in raids, and it's starting to bug me.
    I'm now looking for a cheap, but still a decent upgrade for my graphics card.

As said, it has to be fairly cheap, but still noteworthy in game changes.
    I am by no means into what to look out for in a card, so I'm asking for your help.
    Also, I'm still studying, so money is tight - I would be happy if a graphic card, which fulfills the above, wouldn't cost me more than 150$

What can you suggest and why?

My currenct specs are:
    256gb Samsung Evo SSD
    1TB HDD
    GTX 550 TI

Thanks in advance.

I replaced my 550 ti with a 750 ti. Still need to replace my CPU and its about time to replace my 750 ti honestly. If you're wanting cheap but good I'd go with the 750 ti.

750ti is like the sweet-spot for Legion it seems. Id go for a 770 if you can get your hands on one now days.

Maybe just get a I5 4550
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenho View Post
    GFX card will not help you much in raids, unless you run them at high settings.
    What will help you the most by far is buying an unlocked i5 and overclocking it to 4,5+.
    Guess I can find instructions on how to overclock.
    So the CPU upgrade would be better for me? Mind I can only afford one of the upgrades at the current.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    750ti is like the sweet-spot for Legion it seems. Id go for a 770 if you can get your hands on one now days.

Maybe just get a I5 4550
    The 750 TI is fine pricewise and seems like a good upgrade looking on benchmarks. Will it be noteworthy without the CPU upgrade?
    Also, GTX950 is only a few bucks more expensive. Is it worth it to pay the extra 10 bucks for the 950?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    You'll need to upgrade the mobo as well, but yes. You will see more of a gain from a decent CPU that's overclocked than upgrading your GPU. Mind, you'll still want to upgrade the GPU at some point as well.

- - - Updated - - -

It would likely show benefits but your CPU will still be holding you back quite a bit.
    So CPU>GPU>MOBO?

Deleted
    Got a GTX750tioc from MSI - runs well. But as said by others, you might consider changing CPU and mobo at the same time, if you think you struggle with FPS.
    For me personally I run settings on high , and got 60+ fps in raids, and something like 100+ in open world stuff most of the time.

- - - Updated - - -

Got a GTX750tioc from MSI - runs well. But as said by others, you might consider changing CPU and mobo at the same time, if you think you struggle with FPS.
    For me personally I run settings on high , and got 60+ fps in raids, and something like 100+ in open world stuff most of the time.

10+ Year Old Account

Horde

Hi all.
    My currenct specs are:
    256gb Samsung Evo SSD
    1TB HDD
    GTX 550 TI
    Not enough info.

psu: watt and model number
    mobo: model
    case: what case it is

If you can find that out we could probably figure out one for you. The easiest solution though would be to go to https://pcpartpicker.com/, find your motherboard, and your case. add them to your build and then click on the graphics card section you can sort list by price search for certain brands etc etc. After finding what one you want to go with it has links to where you can buy them and if there are promotions or mail in rebates. I would recommend adding your other parts and seeing if you need a stronger psu. in the top right it will have an estimated total for how much each part will use. and check for compatibility or other issues.

As an example I just upgraded my wife's old graphics card as it died on her She had a geforce gtx 560 and we where able to get her a Geforce GTX 950SC for at that time $139.99
    Her Mobo and Case with compatible cards as an example

I hope this helps!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanity29 View Post
    I replaced my 550 ti with a 750 ti. Still need to replace my CPU and its about time to replace my 750 ti honestly. If you're wanting cheap but good I'd go with the 750 ti.
    I think the 950 is probably better at this point?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by acinos View Post
    Not enough info.

psu: watt and model number
    mobo: model
    case: what case it is

If you can find that out we could probably figure out one for you. The easiest solution though would be to go to https://pcpartpicker.com/, find your motherboard, and your case. add them to your build and then click on the graphics card section you can sort list by price search for certain brands etc etc. After finding what one you want to go with it has links to where you can buy them and if there are promotions or mail in rebates. I would recommend adding your other parts and seeing if you need a stronger psu. in the top right it will have an estimated total for how much each part will use. and check for compatibility or other issues.

As an example I just upgraded my wife's old graphics card as it died on her She had a geforce gtx 560 and we where able to get her a Geforce GTX 950SC for at that time $139.99
    Her Mobo and Case with compatible cards as an example

I hope this helps!
    Okay, I will take a look around in there.
    I just cant seem to find my case - It's 4 years old and was a prebuilt PC.

Nvidia just released Pascal, so everyone is liquidating their supply of maxwell(9th series) cards. They are no longer manufacturing them so once theyre gone theyre gone. But youll find 9th series cards incredibly cheap right now so if you're on a budget thats where i'd select my card from.

So the CPU upgrade would be better for me? Mind I can only afford one of the upgrades at the current.
    Yes, going from your CPU to a 4,5GHz i5 will net you a lot of fps.
    Going to something like a GF 960 will net you anywhere from zero (low settings) to modest gains (high settings).

GTX 1060 being offered for a mere 249.99 on July 19th.

If you are unable to go over 150, then go with the GTX 960

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    No, CPU and mobo have to be done at the same time. CPU+Mobo>GPU
    If he can find one, he doesn't necessarily need to upgrade the MoBo. The i5-2500K is still a stellar CPU for gaming and overclocks like a beast.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Feeline10 View Post
    GTX 1060 being offered for a mere 249.99 on July 19th.

If you are unable to go over 150, then go with the GTX 960
    At this point, dont waste the cash on the 960 (which isnt below 150 anywhere i can find anyway) get the 950, which is within percentage points of the performance of a 960 and 40$ cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenho View Post
    Yes, going from your CPU to a 4,5GHz i5 will net you a lot of fps.
    Going to something like a GF 960 will net you anywhere from zero (low settings) to modest gains (high settings).
    Speaking on the i5 (I have an i5 2500K) mine is OCd via my mobo's "OC button" It's clocked at 4.2. Will I see higher gains if I go from 4.2 to 4.5?

Also, I have an MSI 770 superclocked card. How much of an FPS gain will I see in games like Dying Light/Fallout 4 if I upgrade to a 1060/70?
    Totally hijacked this thread. </3

I can run Fallout 4 on all ultra with 8x AA and maintain 60 FPS with 1920x1080. Dying Light (Textures set to medium or else it has pauses where it'll stop and then begin again) as well, Cities Skylines has extremely poor FPS and I don't know why. :l EDIT (Shadows on medium quality or it's choppy)
    Last edited by Laqweeta; 2016-07-09 at 09:32 PM.

Can't help you with those specific games, sorry.
    As for the CPU, 2500K is a good one, going from 4.2 to 4.5 will not net you big gains, I'd shoot for ~3-5 FPS in stress scenarios like raids.

10+ Year Old Account

Horde

Okay, I will take a look around in there.
    I just cant seem to find my case - It's 4 years old and was a prebuilt PC.
    The case was more to make sure you don't buy a card that is to large to fit inside it. I remember looking for a better card for hers and there where a few I was considering but they where a little to big to fit

also
    Originally Posted by Sanity29
    I personaly wouldn't go with the 700 series at this point the 900 series is dirt cheap ranging from $110 to $160 for a 950 and about $170 to $220 for a 960

550ti - just under the 2k mark in performance
    750ti - just over the 4k mark in performance
    950 - just under the 6k mark in performance about 5750
    960 - just over the 6k mark in performance about 6250