Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Dungeon Etiquette/Best Practices for Newbie

I have been playing World of Warcraft for about three weeks now. Mostly I have done quests and a few dungeons. I was recently kicked from a dungeon group because I was pulling to much. We got maybe three minutes into the dungeon before I got one warning and then I was kicked. I realize that when you get to the higher level dungeons (currently level 48) that more strategy is required then the lower level dungeons. So my question is what are some informal rules of etiquette/best practices for doing dungeons? Things to keep in mind when doing them. Obviously every group is different. Any advice would be great. I mostly play a demon warlock.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

The Lightbringer Archmage Alodi's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    you shouldn't be pulling anything if you're a dps.
    THE HORDE WILL ENDURE
    THE HORDE IS STRONG!

Nice try Jaylock

Post constructively
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2016-07-10 at 12:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassafrass View Post
    It's a Horde symbol but the middle part can also be called the "Eye" of the zone (AZSHARA), it's a play on words
    No, it is happening. The zone changed, it belongs to the Goblins now and is their home. Hearthstone is having a mechanical themed expansion soon, November's cardback is Goblin influenced and revealed concept art shows Goblin machinery. It's a HS expansion, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny McCormick View Post
    Thanks I will be sure to keep that in mind.

Do your job and have a full set of heirlooms.

15+ Year Old Account

To expand on this, pretty much wait for the tank to attack something, then attack that. If he had a group of mobs you would want to use your aoe(area of effect) abilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrinnersGrin View Post
    If Tinkers aren't the next class in WoW I'll shit in my hands and clap then eat my shoe.

Rule 1 for Dungeons and Raids: If it's on the ground, and you didn't put it there. Get out of it.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

Doesn't matter for leveling dungeons. A good dps can solo them.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Quote Originally Posted by Sativex View Post
    To expand on this, pretty much wait for the tank to attack something, then attack that. If he had a group of mobs you would want to use your aoe(area of effect) abilities.
    dont do that, unless you understand the difference between cleave and aoe.

Quote Originally Posted by SwankyOrc View Post
    I have been playing World of Warcraft for about three weeks now. Mostly I have done quests and a few dungeons. I was recently kicked from a dungeon group because I was pulling to much. We got maybe three minutes into the dungeon before I got one warning and then I was kicked. I realize that when you get to the higher level dungeons (currently level 48) that more strategy is required then the lower level dungeons. So my question is what are some informal rules of etiquette/best practices for doing dungeons? Things to keep in mind when doing them. Obviously every group is different. Any advice would be great. I mostly play a demon warlock.

lulz, everything is a fucking faceroll, even at 100. no strategy required.

Deleted
    Don't type anything in chat unless it's positive. Tanks should only pull as fast as survivable, healers should only heal adequately, dpses should only kill fast enough. Any tank that pulls slowler than needed creates a problem, any healer that can not heal adequately or ninja pulls creates a problem, any dps that can not dps adequately or ninja pulls creates a problem.

Always keep pulling so that you're moving as quickly as possible, to keep the tank motivated and the dungeon progressing. If you die then try to give the tank/healer some tips while you're asking for a res.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by SwankyOrc View Post

If the instance is challenging, you need tanks to do the pulls to keep things organized. You want the tank to be the primary one drawing agro, taking damage, etc.

In leveling dungeons you've probably noticed that it doesn't matter so much. Blizz has tuned things with the idea that most players just want to level as fast as possible, so they've pretty much eliminated any real challenges until you hit max level. As a result, you'll see some crazy free-for-all stuff going on.

Nevertheless, some players hold to the conservative notion that tanks should be the only ones pulling. This sounds like the group you got kicked from.

I would suggest you go along to get along. Any given dungeon run is only a few minutes anyway. If the tank or healer prefer that tank does the pulls, let them. If they don't seem to care, go crazy.

When you get to max level and queue for anything challenging, however, back off for sure and let the tank pull.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

A lot of players go in without much understanding of how LFG work, and they make a lot of mistakes in their role and in common behavior. With that in mind, I've compiled a few pointers for certain roles and for dungeon divers in general:

-Communicate. I emphasized that word because it is so often ignored in PuGs. Silent dungeon runs are awkward, clumsy, and often catastrophic. Talk to your party when you need help, when you have a question or comments, or just to lighten the mood. When parties communicate, they work better and they have fun.
    Pay attention to /p and /s chat. Players can and will speak up if something is wrong or if they need something. Having the channel disabled or the chat window hidden is a poor excuse for a mishap.

-Need versus greed is a very serious matter, and should be respected without exception. If an item is up for roll, and it benefits you directly (your class, your stats, or your profession), you have the right to roll need. However, it is unfair and uncool to roll need on something that you don't actually need, potentially robbing another player of something they could use. Don't be surprised if you get vote-kicked for being a loot ninja. No one likes loot ninjas.

-Try your best to have fun. That's what most everyone is here to do. If a pull goes badly, if the group wipes, or if something else isn't quite right, don't get worked up. Raging , flaming, and quitting in a huff isn't fun for anyone.

Specific tips for DPS (Damage Dealers) :
    -Contrary to popular belief, you actually have two main jobs: deal damage, and don't make things difficult for the tank and healer. Stealing aggro, pulling extra mobs, and running ahead or away from the rest of the group makes you more trouble than you're worth. Watch your threat (preferably with an AddOn like Omen) and watch which mobs you attack.

-It's typically the tank's job to pull, especially in classic 5-man dungeons. Regardless of whether or not you can get to the mobs first, it's harder for the tank to get the aggro off of you then it is for him to just pull.

-Aggro on anything besides the tank is bad, but mobs hitting the healer is especially troublesome. While not really mandatory, a superstar DPS will make an effort to take aggro off of the healer right away. If you see someone wailing on the priest, target that bad boy right away and start wailing back. The tank can take the aggro off of you as soon as he's ready.

I hope this helps.

May i suggest

General Dungeon & Raid etiquette.

1. Not the tank? Don't pull.
    2. You are the tank? Aggro things.
    3. Don't scream "hurry up" or "go" it's annoying.
    4. Don't need on loot you don't need. If it's not an upgrade, you don't need it. If it's intended for an alternate spec, ask the group first if you can need it.
    5. First time in a dungeon? Let the group know, that way if there are any serious mechanics to look out for, they'll probably tell you.
    6. Don't ask people to 'slow down' if the tank is pulling too fast and you can't keep up. This is a shitty one but the majority of groups you run into while leveling will be people powerleveling alts.
    7. While not needed (I rarely see this) just say thanks at the end of the run, it's polite.

Edit: 8. Interrupting and stunning things make the healers and tanks job easier. Avoiding bad things makes the healers job easier. Do it.
    9. Know your class and abilities, learn what they do and when they should be used. For example, don't go spamming AoE abilities on a singular target if there are better abilities you could be using. This one should be obvious but I've seen Prot paladins and Ret paladins using divine storm and HoTR on single target. WHILE LEVELING. BEFORE PERKS.
    Last edited by JoshuaNLG; 2016-07-10 at 10:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaNLG View Post
    9. Know your class and abilities, learn what they do and when they should be used. For example, don't go spamming AoE abilities on a singular target if there are better abilities you could be using. This one should be obvious but I've seen Prot paladins and Ret paladins using divine storm and HoTR on single target. WHILE LEVELING. BEFORE PERKS.
    Was that in MoP by chance? HotR and CS did the same damage in ST iirc.

Quote Originally Posted by Djriff View Post
    Was that in MoP by chance? HotR and CS did the same damage in ST iirc.
    No, recently, when i said before perks, i meant while leveling before 92+.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaNLG View Post
    Might I add the fact that in 99% of the cases it is better to interrupt a spell then to let it go. Keep interrupting spells, it is off the global cooldown and won't influence you in any way. You do make the life easier for the tank and the healer.
    If you are a healer, in 99% of the cases it is better to dispel a magic effect of the player instead of leaving it on. There are only a handfull of places where you don't want to dispel and tbh nothing comes to mind right now.

So damn true, to bad dps don't listen to that, and this forum actually supports such pathetic behaviour. I tend to do the "You pull, you tank, you die" mechanic. Helps that I always play together with a healer, so we can plan this accordingly