Poll: How bad of a rip-off is Winston (Overwatch) from Beast (X-men)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    hes like beast mixed with gorilla grodd mixed with cyborg

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    I agree.

Soldier 76 and his visor remind me of Cyclops, at least visually speaking. There are a few other similarities but the Beast/Winston one is a little too close for comfort imo.

Winston is sort of like a blended combo of Caesar from Planet of the Apes + Beast + Hulk. I suppose in some ways that makes him unique, which is why I personally didn't rate it a 10/10 on my poll.
    soldier 76 has nothing to do with cyclops. his backstory is quote for quote a ripoff of captain america.

hes an old captain america with a gun

hes a blonde blue eyed former weak boy who wanted to do good and got buff and strong after a super soldier program
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Daws001 View Post
    tbf, neither is Winston.
    I hate when people don't understand the term monkey means more than just what they think. Monkey can be and is used as a synonym for primate. In fact, it order to group old world and new world monkeys as monkeys, you have to also include apes.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

not that i think its a bad thing. i love running around as steve rogers with a lazer gun.
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    hes like beast mixed with gorilla grodd mixed with cyborg

- - - Updated - - -

soldier 76 has nothing to do with cyclops. his backstory is quote for quote a ripoff of captain america.

hes an old captain america with a gun

hes a blonde blue eyed former weak boy who wanted to do good and got buff and strong after a super soldier program
    Maybe that's the formula they used for all of their heroes. Combine 1 X-men character with 1 avengers hero and 1 other non-marvel fictional character.

Winston: beast + hulk + caeser
    Soldier76: cyclops + captain america + ?
    Zenyatta: professor X + vision + ?
    Reindhart: colossus + thor + knight guy

etc etc

How bad of a ripoff is this thread of other smartass complaining threads on MMO-C?

10+ Year Old Account
    Big brutish character (or in this case, an ape) is actually an intelligent scientist is a fairly common trope.

Deleted
    No.

Just because a certain thing has lasted long enough that it has become part of the cultural makeup for the shotcallers, artists, and writers that work at Blizzard doesn't mean that everything that is similar to the elder work is a ripoff.

Everything builds on everything, we stand on shoulders of giants.

Besides, Comic book heroes tend to represent broader ideals and struggles themselves and pull from the cultural heritage that came before them.

Deleted
    Grodd says hi

Quote Originally Posted by Korlok View Post
    You are literally calling Beast from X-men a monkey. He was NOT a monkey.
    Dr. McCoy would probably argue he's three steps from being a monkey, but his ancestors were.

This Winston character looks like a gorilla though and whilst McCoy has looked like a lot of things (including the most Disney interpretation of his name), he has never really looked like a gorilla. Maybe a little neanderthal, but not actually simian.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve French View Post
    IMO allot of the overwatch crew have too many similarities with x-men in general. Many of them seem to be blatant ripoffs.
    Doesnt help that 3/4 if not more xmen have generic super powers lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Korlok View Post
    You are literally calling Beast from X-men a monkey. He was NOT a monkey.
    Technically had Beast been considered Homo Sapien, he would have been from the great ape family, which Winston is also a part of (Gorillas are from the great ape family). Though while being part of the same family, Chimpanzees (and Bonobos) are most likely a closer fit for our species than Gorillas. None of these though are monkeys, but because Marvel sued that the x-men were Mutants and not humans, Beast is not any of the above. I guess the closest would be Homo superior?
    If you are progressing through content just to obtain gear, you are doing it wrong. You, in fact, are doing it exactly backwards.
    You are the leader of the Black Harvest, go harvest some squirrels and crack some more nuts. Sir.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    I hate when people don't understand the term monkey means more than just what they think. Monkey can be and is used as a synonym for primate. In fact, it order to group old world and new world monkeys as monkeys, you have to also include apes.
    The only reason monkey is used as a general term for primates is out of ignorance. Monkeys are monkeys. Apes are apes. Humans are humans.

If you want to refer to primates in general, used the correct phrase. Monkey is not a stand in for primate.

7+ Year Old Account
    I can say monkey if want grammar police. It may not be exactly accurate in a scientific sense, BUT WE ARE DISCUSSING TWO FICTIONAL CHARACTERS.
    I figured people would just have fun with the thread. Looks like I was wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I wonder if she ever visits Jisreal. It’s like Isreal, but for Jews.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    not that i think its a bad thing. i love running around as steve rogers with a lazer gun.
    You just reminded me that I'm pretty sure my girlfriend was working on a drawing of Soldier 76 in Captain America's costume style, I'll have to pester her to finish that if she hasn't already.

Either way, I thought it was clear that Winston is basically a rip off of Planet of the Apes, genetically enhanced apes becoming too intelligent and overthrowing the humans to claim their own planet (well, the moon in this case).

Hell, I would be disappointed if they don't add another gorilla from the moon at some point, one who like, hates humans and just came to Earth to get Winston back to the moon or something.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Daws001 View Post
    The only reason monkey is used as a general term for primates is out of ignorance. Monkeys are monkeys. Apes are apes. Humans are humans.

If you want to refer to primates in general, used the correct phrase. Monkey is not a stand in for primate.
    First off, Humans are apes. Apes are monkeys. Those are used correctly. Learn clades before you say something is wrong.

Also, Old world monkeys are closer to apes than either are to new world monkeys.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

What's next? McCree is a ripoff of the guy from "Call of Juarez?"

There's always going to be comparisons between new and old characters, but it doesn't make them "copies" or "rip-offs"

thought never crossed my mind really.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think they ripped off Gorilla Grodd from DC if anything: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorilla_Grodd

Who was a genius gorilla just like Winston.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama