Lightbulb WoW in 4K / 4K Gaming Monitor ?

Hey guys! I've been thinking a lot lately about making the move to 4K but a lot of questions arise. I'm hoping maybe I could find some answers here. First off, Is the jump from 1080p/1440p to 4K worth the money and quality of game (Exclusively for WoW)? Secondly, my budget for a GPU right now is around the price of a 980 Ti, so would this handle WoW in 4K? Lastly, I have no idea about what's going on with monitors nowadays. 60Hz, 140Hz ? Curved ? Response Time and all that sort of stuff thus could you please clarify if I need a "Gaming" Monitor just for WoW, and a few recommendations would be really appreciated.

Thanks a lot !

I just switched from 4k to to 1440p. I had trouble running some games and I had the GTX 1080. I didn't play WoW in 4k but for me the difference between 1440p and 4k was negligible in games like overwatch, starcraft 2, HoTs, diablo. There was a huge difference in the witcher 3 but i couldnt get above 40 fps. Honestly with how old the WoW engine is I don't think the loss of performance at 1440p 144hz would be worth the minor graphical boost you'd see at 4k. Triple A titles yes but WoW no. Get a GTX 1070 with a 1440p 144hz Gsync monitor IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by n1ck301 View Post
    I just switched from 4k to to 1440p. I had trouble running some games and I had the GTX 1080. I didn't play WoW in 4k but for me the difference between 1440p and 4k was negligible in games like overwatch, starcraft 2, HoTs, diablo. There was a huge difference in the witcher 3 but i couldnt get above 40 fps. Honestly with how old the WoW engine is I don't think the loss of performance at 1440p 144hz would be worth the minor graphical boost you'd see at 4k. Triple A titles yes but WoW no. Get a GTX 1070 with a 1440p 144hz Gsync monitor IMO.
    Thanks for the feedback! Unfortunately I'm on a tight budget for now, I'll look into it when I proceed to the purchase. I'm thinking about getting a 4K monitor for the extra eye candy apart from WoW (In videos,photos etc.) and running WoW at 1440p. What do you say?
    Last edited by leo015; 2016-07-10 at 12:37 AM.

Yes, definitely. A MMO is going to be great with a bigger UI. Gives you more space for addons, actionbars, and other UI elements. The biggest draws against 4k would be a limit of 60 Hz, no gsync/freesync, and it's more intensive to run. 4k is 8.3MP, 1440p UW is 4.9MP, 1440p is 3.7MP. 4k is 120% more pixels than 1440p, and 70% more than 1440p ultrawide. That translates to lower framerates or lower graphical settings. The combination of all three of these means 4k isn't ready for gaming. On the other had these are all available on 1440p. The GTX 980Ti, 1070 or 1080 run 1440p very well. Gaming on 1440p is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by tuesday the paladin View Post
    Yes, definitely. A MMO is going to be great with a bigger UI. Gives you more space for addons, actionbars, and other UI elements. The biggest draws against 4k would be a limit of 60 Hz, no gsync/freesync, and it's more intensive to run. 4k is 8.3MP, 1440p UW is 4.9MP, 1440p is 3.7MP. 4k is 120% more pixels than 1440p, and 70% more than 1440p ultrawide. That translates to lower framerates or lower graphical settings. The combination of all three of these means 4k isn't ready for gaming. On the other had these are all available on 1440p. The GTX 980Ti, 1070 or 1080 run 1440p very well. Gaming on 1440p is awesome.
    Thanks ! Could you recommend a few good for gaming 4k monitors please? I prefer the curved ones

Quote Originally Posted by leo015 View Post
    Thanks ! Could you recommend a few good for gaming 4k monitors please? I prefer the curved ones
    Do you want cheap (relatively of course) or do you want the best?

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Do you want cheap (relatively of course) or do you want the best?
    Well not the best which cost more than 700-800 euros, cheaper ones . Around 500 euros, if we can get something good at this price. By the way, if they have embedded speakers it would be a great relief.

Well not the best which cost more than 700-800 euros, cheaper ones . Around 500 euros, if we can get something good at this price. By the way, if they have embedded speakers it would be a great relief.
    There are no 4K monitors for that kind of price, not even close. Barely any 1440p ones.

There are no 4K monitors for that kind of price, not even close. Barely any 1440p ones.
    Really? Well that was a surprise! How much do the "cheap" ones cost then?

I play wow in 4k ULTRA with an 28" ACER Predator GSYNC screen and a GTX 980ti G1 Gaming from gigabyte.

FPS barely drops, even in heavy raiding configuration with lots of aoe.

This isn't a PC built to play wow initially but I ended up playing again a few weeks ago.

The screen is not cheap but has been a real blast to play on. Not every game can play in 4k with 60+ fps mind you, but WoW definitely can.

It should be noted that with Legion, I noticed some fps drop after setting all the new option (distance view etc) to Ultra.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildspirit View Post
    I play wow in 4k ULTRA with an 28" ACER Predator GSYNC screen and a GTX 980ti G1 Gaming from gigabyte.

FPS barely drops, even in heavy raiding configuration with lots of aoe.

This isn't a PC built to play wow initially but I ended up playing again a few weeks ago.

The screen is not cheap but has been a real blast to play on. Not every game can play in 4k with 60+ fps mind you, but WoW definitely can.

It should be noted that with Legion, I noticed some fps drop after setting all the new option (distance view etc) to Ultra.
    That's nice to hear! So steady 60 FPS ? Could you post a screenshot please?

Really? Well that was a surprise! How much do the "cheap" ones cost then?
    That's if we're talking about curved ones, should've clarified that. 27 inch 4K monitors there are a lot around that price.

That's if we're talking about curved ones, should've clarified that. 27 inch 4K monitors there are a lot around that price.
    Curved ones are a lot more expensive? If so screw it, stick to the flat ones