Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Life after death stories (NDE's)

I found this website and was wondering if anybody could come up with any conceivable explanation for the stories that are told.

http://www.near-death.com/science/re...nces.html#a02a

The only explanation that I could think of is that the people are either lying or the doctors are exaggerating. Other than that I cannot think of any better proof that human consciousness is not dependent on the brain and that when you die you enter a type of dimension which is invisible to the physical world.

Some of the stories include,

1) People who die and are able to tell the doctor about objects that are on the roof of the hospital building (and when they search they find those objects there),

2) Person dies and is able to identify a five digit number that a doctor put in a location that could only be seen if the person was hovering in the air,

3) People who die and are able to identify what unique clothes and items the doctors and staff are wearing that day despite being comatose.

Some interesting facts:
    The majority of people who experience this feel great joy at getting to leave the physical world. Some of the people who experience NDE run into family members who have passed away. People who experience NDE can see and travel through walls and other solid actions. Attempts to talk with living people fail in NDE experiences.

Some scary facts:
    Only 18% of people who are medically dead but come back to life experience an NDE. Almost all the people who experience NDE begin to "float" away high above the earth and begin to leave the planet after some time hovering over their body. People experienced NDE have trouble recognizing their body during the experience.

I'm going to guess that there was some kind of conversation by the doctors that was simply picked up by the brain, which isn't actually dead yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Those are hallucinations caused by the dying brain.

Some people will guess correctly, or just remember something they saw before.

The power of the subconscious to extrapolate is greater than their waking prowess in a lot of cases.

I am sure there are rational explanations.

Unless someone "dies" and revives and can quote a secret conversation with the president because their ghost was hovering in the oval office, I am gonna remain skeptical.

You can't say this is proof of life after death. It's got just as much chance of being that humans are actually psychic-capable and only on the cusp of death does the average person briefly become disconnected enough from reality to access those powers.

Most likely, though, it's just the brain storing information in the absence of other input.

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    I'm going to guess that there was some kind of conversation by the doctors that was simply picked up by the brain, which isn't actually dead yet.
    That was one thing that was talked about. It turns out that a brain that is flat-lining is not capable of dreams, hallucinations, or the ability to process information due to sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    Those are hallucinations caused by the dying brain.

Some people will guess correctly, or just remember something they saw before.

The power of the subconscious to extrapolate is greater than their waking prowess in a lot of cases.
    This. The title is misleading, there's no proof, as much as I'd like there to be...

10+ Year Old Account
    Weren't these things explained long ago by the brain working funny in near-death moments and making things up?
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronk333 View Post
    That was one thing that was talked about. It turns out that a brain that is flat-lining is not capable of dreams, hallucinations, or the ability to process information due to sound.
    Do we know that for certain.
    The only convincing "evidence" would be something that they cannot possibly have seen, heard or experienced in any form or part prior.
    Something they would have been entirely isolated from.
    And it would need to be more than just a minority of cases to help discount the idea of sheer dumb luck in guesses.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

10+ Year Old Account
    stories
    Aaaaand we're done here.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Do we know that for certain.
    The only convincing "evidence" would be something that they cannot possibly have seen, heard or experienced in any form or part prior.
    Something they would have been entirely isolated from.
    And it would need to be more than just a minority of cases to help discount the idea of sheer dumb luck in guesses.
    - Although its not entirely scientific, I would think that any instance where a patient is able to bring back information that they were not capable of attaining while unconscious would have to be proof of some type of 4th or 5th dimension that can only be accessed once brain dead.

Deleted
    It's the gassers and slashers whispering crazy shit in the ear of patients in arrest. If the team "gets them back" they go out for drinks, if you got them to recite your suggestion you don't buy a round.

(I struggled as to whether or not to make this joke as some of you fruitcakes will no doubt think shit like this goes on).

- Although its not entirely scientific, I would think that any instance where a patient is able to bring back information that they were not capable of attaining while unconscious would have to be proof of some type of 4th or 5th dimension that can only be accessed once brain dead.
    If the information he took back was from another country, and a vivid description of surroundings/what was said, then I'd be a little more impressed.
    If he heard stuff that people said next to him, I mean... How retardedly stupid fucktard can you be to believe that proves anything?

Honestly, no matter what anyone says in this thread, nobody actually knows what happens when we die. Sure I lean towards the idea that there's an explanation for stuff like this, but I'm not going to talk out of my ass and pretend I actually know for sure. Even if you don't believe "It's magic/it's afterlife" explanations, you can acknowledge the fact that there's a lot about life and general consciousness that we don't know yet and a logical explanation for a life of some form after death could even exist.

That's what makes subjects like this so interesting. I enjoy reading about stuff like this because, while I may not entirely believe it, I can't really discredit the experiences of these people.

Quote Originally Posted by Aakarshan View Post
    Honestly, no matter what anyone says in this thread, nobody actually knows what happens when we die. Sure I lean towards the idea that there's an explanation for stuff like this, but I'm not going to talk out of my ass and pretend I actually know for sure. Even if you don't believe "It's magic/it's afterlife" explanations, you can acknowledge the fact that there's a lot about life and general consciousness that we don't know yet and a logical explanation for a life of some form after death could even exist.

That's what makes subjects like this so interesting. I enjoy reading about stuff like this because, while I may not entirely believe it, I can't really discredit the experiences of these people.
    QFT.
    On one hand I fear death because I just don't know...Oblivion? Next step in the Ascension? Another life that might be shit..or not?
    On the other hand all the above could be seen as positive in a way..

10+ Year Old Account

Some scary facts:
    Only 18% of people who are medically dead but come back to life experience an NDE. Almost all the people who experience NDE begin to "float" away high above the earth and begin to leave the planet after some time hovering over their body. People experienced NDE have trouble recognizing their body during the experience.
    Scary fact: It is 100% impossible to know for sure that someone did actually experience a near-death experience. I would also be curious to see what the difference is between non-spiritual and spiritual people when reporting NDEs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

I am a big believer of afterlife.

However, this experiment is not a good proof.
    You don't go anywhere when your heart stops for a few seconds.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    I am a big believer of afterlife.

However, this experiment is not a good proof.
    You don't go anywhere when your heart stops for a few seconds.
    Is it like using Uber? You need to arrange and wait for pick up or something?

7+ Year Old Account
    I feel compelled to point out that Jesus Christ in fact does understand what happens to man after our mortal death, and endeavors to prepare us for it.

Infracted - Religious discussion is not allowed
    Last edited by Jester Joe; 2016-07-10 at 02:19 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doomislav View Post
    I feel compelled to point out that Jesus Christ in fact does understand what happens to man after our mortal death, and endeavors to prepare us for it.
    Does he now?
    My rogue RIP 2004-2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    No they don’t learn and evidence suggests that. Behavior also doesn’t change and if there is any hope of learning behavior has to change.

Not meaningless declarations easy to say after he regrets offering up evidence he’s a racist.