10+ Year Old Account
    Now fix oled issues. Lol

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    Thing has 97.8% DCI-P3 and is 10bit, if it does HDR it can receive the "UHD Premium" certificate lol.
    Is that % low? =/

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Now fix oled issues. Lol
    I thought you guys liked OLED?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Is that % low? =/
    It's great actually. You only need 90% to be certified.
    It's a LG panel so white OLEDs and color filters. Main difference from LCD is that each pixel can turn on and turn off separately which gives you infinite contrast and way lower response times but OLED also comes with weird color-shifting off-center and burn-ins are possible.
    Last edited by Artorius; 2016-07-09 at 10:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    but OLED also comes with weird color-shifting off-center and burn-ins are possible.
    ^ that. And uneven color degradation too. It's like taking a Plasma, removed some issues like shimmering and energy usage, then added some problems to go with it.

Now Sony, get back on CLED. kthx.

15+ Year Old Account
    My screen has 2 USB ports.

The time is money is a good point.
    Otherwise, I have trouble with some of the reasoning, but that's if I try to apply it for myself.

In general, I have no trouble with your arguments.

---

What kind of OLED screen does the OnePlus X use?

10+ Year Old Account
    To be honest Plasma had fewer image quality related problems than OLED. Most OLEDs are sample and hold which means that they have all the motion problems characteristic of LCD. The VR headsets have "low persistence" OLED displays so they can be both. For computer usage sample and hold is probably better since some people are sensitive to flicker and this would cause headaches, but for films and media consumption (include gaming), having better motion resolution is nice.

15+ Year Old Account
    On food...28% Americans don't know how to cook, 13% British don't know how to do it without a recipe. I bet more people don't know how to cook live in the city. Your options become much more limited living out in the country.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    What kind of OLED screen does the OnePlus X use?
    Some low/mid tier PenTile one. Never saw on but according to reviewers the color reproduction is off and the display has a lot of green/blue tint.

Some low/mid tier PenTile one. Never saw on but according to reviewers the color reproduction is off and the display has a lot of green/blue tint.
    I noticed slight blue tint, not a lot, but no green. This only occurs on the high light levels in low light scenariors, something I never do anyway, since I always use the absolute lowest light I possibly can get away with. Often 0% or when outside, 60%. In which I don't see the tint.

But thank you for the information! My perspective is of course only my own and I have weaker ability to see blue. Yet it is the tint I can see. So it might be stronger than I see.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    I noticed slight blue tint, not a lot, but no green. This only occurs on the high light levels in low light scenariors, something I never do anyway, since I always use the absolute lowest light I possibly can get away with. Often 0% or when outside, 60%. In which I don't see the tint.

But thank you for the information! My perspective is of course only my own and I have weaker ability to see blue. Yet it is the tint I can see. So it might be stronger than I see.
    My note 4 goes green at off-angles, it doesn't really matter much. I mean, the main difference between a mid-tier mobile OLED and a high-end one will most likely be tied to maximum brightness, endurance and color accuracy. For most people they wouldn't really be bothered by it in any meaningful way, the fact that it's PenTile is way more noticeable (PenTile has 66% the amount of subpixels of normal RGB stripe displays so the actual density is lower than what you'd expect from the nominal resolution).

The OnePlus X is that kind of device that brings flagship tier internals with an affordable price, so I understand that they had to cut corners at some places to keep the price low enough.
    Last edited by Artorius; 2016-07-10 at 01:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    One thing that I've noticed with cellphone with tech orientated people is aiming for the internals instead of the whole package, which includes software. Which is why I went into a department store and tried out each of the products. Something that can't be conveyed in a pure numbers benchmark and all is preference on the software and hardware design points. Which is why I went with Xperia X Performance instead of others. Then there are other aspects that I personally can fix due to having the equipment (changing white point since Sony phones have a white balance control) which is something that I have no issue with but of course others are not so keen or even know about it. Software optimization is especially top notch, especially when something like the Xperia X trounces the HTC One 10 (some speed test youtube video at least) in more practical tests outside of synthetics especially comparing that it's a mid range SoC vs a high end SoC. Of course screen size and dimension is actually a big part of my decision too. Also fuck PenTile.
    I actually don't care about resolution all that much. A reasonable low resolution is better on a phone which means less work for the SoC and in turn less power consumption.

It's also something that kind of annoys me on monitor suggestions I see on those cheap korean ones. Grats, surface specs and all look great, well under the hood, yeah it's shit.

Just realized how I might sound like a heathen for tech enthusiasts, haha.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2016-07-10 at 04:44 AM.

Quite honestly, I think you are doing the healthy thing there. You are not trying to adapt yourself to fit "the big thing", you are trying to find the thing that fits you. That's how I choose everything.
    You are of course right in going there and trying it for yourself. Speccs may say a lot, but they don't matter nearly as much as perception, epeen or no.

Also, I have to disable ads on MMOC again. It's slightly sad, but it renders the page unusable and I am unable to interact with anything as long as I have youtube/Twitch going at the same time. Sluggish and nothing simply works. Will try again without Ads disabled in a week or so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good example of this software x hardware thing in smartphones is Samsung. They surely have better hardware than the competition but their software department sucks. And they suck hard. What theoretically should be better on paper ends up being the same or even worse on fluidity... I'm pretty confident the main reason people buy expensive Samsung smartphones isn't because they tend to have a better SoC or because the screen is better or anything like this, it's just because it's from Samsung or because they find it prettier...

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Good example of this software x hardware thing in smartphones is Samsung. They surely have better hardware than the competition but their software department sucks. And they suck hard. What theoretically should be better on paper ends up being the same or even worse on fluidity... I'm pretty confident the main reason people buy expensive Samsung smartphones isn't because they tend to have a better SoC or because the screen is better or anything like this, it's just because it's from Samsung or because they find it prettier...
    Sort of guilty.

My first phone, from early 2004, was a Samsung flip, it still works. Just needs a new battery. It was thrown at so many walls, dropped so many times, it went through the worst beating, yet it never died. It kept chugging!

Then my next one I got in mid 2007 and it was another Samsung flip... it rocked too! Still works, too! Though there's some sort of screen-bleeding type of thing happening.

Third phone was I believe the Samsung Impression or some shit around 2010/2011? An alright phone, first touch-screen, but I was disappointed, the touch screen died after not very long and I was annoyed.

Thus, after my sister had had it, I too got an hTC smart phone, at first I kinda liked it, but quickly learned to distaste it. It was shit quality.

Then I got the Samsung Galaxy S4, after knowing so many people with the S2/3 who loved theirs and had no problems whatsoever. I bought the insurance through ESquare or something, and was able to replace the phone for $25 when I dropped it once in the parking lot at work, first time I ever broke a screen!

Now, about a year ago, I bought an S6 Edge, returned it so damned fast, and got the S6.

I still often times just want to go back to the flip phone hey-days...
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    I had an International Galaxy S3 (GT-I9300, the one with Exynos 4) for a lot of time, then bought a International Galaxy Note 4 (910C, Exynos 5433).

I do electrical engineering and I love hardware from the bottom of my heart, but I'll be honest and say that after the 5433 and the nice AMOLED display the single aspect that interested me the most in my second purchase was the S-pen of the note line. And gladly I wasn't wrong, taking random screenshots of the screen to send to your friends and shit like this is so much faster with that pen!

But yeah, that's it. I stopped playing with it after some months, in the beginning drawing and taking notes was cool and all... But after some time the sole usage of that pen for me is taking cropped screenshots and highlighting text that is impossible to be highlighted with your fingers (for some reason the pen can highlight any text, even interface ones...). But I really love it and I know I'll miss this pen if I buy a phone without one next, well whatever.

While Samsung's software tends to be sluggish and weird, they put some nice features too and most of them end up on the mainstream Android some versions later. Multi-window to use 2 apps at the same time is one of them for example, it's incredibly useful.

For the record the Exynos 5433 was like 30%~40% faster on CPU-bound tasks than the Snapdragon 805 which was its competitor at the time, and literally made Qualcomm try a big.LITTLE configuration with their Snapdragon 810, which didn't really end up well for them...
    Last edited by Artorius; 2016-07-11 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    Strangest of all: there's no obvious loss of functionality by disabling everything. It's "literally bloat for the sake of bloat" so far as I can see.

I get the arguments that "the web depends on free advertising" but I just don't care any more. If this is how it has to be in order to get 'free content', I'd rather have nothing. This site is literally 1000x heavier than it needs to be to get the information across. It's so broken that I would actively work to prevent whoever is responsible from working on anything web-facing in the future. It's actively user-hostile, completely inept, and just all around unforgivably terrible.

That's to say nothing of how the user experience is ruined by advertising, the security risks of browsing without filtering every damn thing you can, and the costs. The average american has 300megabytes of monthly data transfer on their cell phone s opening the MMOC home page once per day would completely exhaust that data in less than two weeks.
    I agree with you.

I'm sympathetic to the need to advertise and make money, but I refuse to the accept the severity of the consequences of them. The tracking, wasted bandwidth, sluggish responsiveness, and - worst of all - being an attack vector for viruses and other types of malware. There is a reason I use NoScript, Ghostery, and never leave privacy / incognito mode. (On my phone, I almost never enable JavaScript.)

This doesn't just go for this website. A website maintainer could do everything in their power to keep their site clean, but an infected ad network could undo all their precautions.

Sometimes I stop and contemplate how a less technically knowledgeable person might use the Internet and it kind of scares me. Then I realize that is probably the majority of people using the Internet and it scares me a bit more.

[edit: And honestly, I'm not all the savvy when it comes to networking. I know enough to have an idea of what is possible - and how much I don't know about it.]
    Last edited by Alindra; 2016-07-10 at 07:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sony phone's gamut be huge. I already know it would be due to triluminos which is essentially q.dot. I'm more surprised no reviewer ever seems to note what triluminos is (or if they even know wtf it is).
    Anyways, it's a straight up gamut increase on all sides, so it's essentially an unrestricted Q.dot. They could restrict it via a software update if they want, but I doubt they will.

Gamut compared to DCI@100% brightness calibrated to 6504K~ (or as close I could get it to that). DCI is probably the closest one. 2nd is REC2020 for giggles.

Last edited by Remilia; 2016-07-11 at 01:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, the Vulkan boost for AMD is fucking ridiculous. It wasn't completely unexpected but it's still ridiculous.