Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I have the same feeling. It's depressing to not get 'hooked' by a game anymore.

Yeah, I'm going through the same thing as you. Can't stand WoD (thank god it's almost over), but throughout my entire break from WoW I couldn't finish another game, I started playing dozens of them and they're all just sitting unfinished on my computer now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    I never had a bad case of addiction with it. Just played it probably 3 hours a day, maybe more if I had nothing else to do.
    I think you should probably re-evaluate that. 3 hours a day (maybe more) is *a lot* of time spent playing videogames.
    Perhaps find a professional to talk about your addiction?

Maybe VR will make me fall in love with gaming in general again. Feels like something big like that must happen to make me care and feel the awe of gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkLazorz View Post
    I think you should probably re-evaluate that. 3 hours a day (maybe more) is *a lot* of time spent playing videogames.
    Not sure if troll...

I don't think you quite catch my issue. I barely play games anymore, and when I do, I get bored, disinterested easily. This didn't come about because I play too many games, it's just a feeling I've had for a while now, over a year, and I've been searching for something good, just haven't found something worth the time.
    This is exactly how I've felt for the past year and I thought it was due to being burnt out, but there's nothing to be burnt out on. There are no games that I'm itching to play and I'm pretty much just waiting for Legion.

I'm playing Guild Wars 2 but there's a big content drought atm with nothing happening until August or something probably which is badly timed because Legion will be out at the end of the month.

The Dark Souls franchise looks really good (I watched people play it on twitch) so I might give that a go, and everyone says Witcher 3 is amazing but it really doesn't interest me at all for some reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know if this is subconscious or what. I stopped playing wow about a year ago, I never had a bad case of addiction with it. Just played it probably 3 hours a day, maybe more if I had nothing else to do. After stopping, the only other game I've had interest in is street fighter. Yea I know, weird, and I've bought around 50+ games since then, of the likes of witcher 3, and many other high profile games, never finished, or let alone got half way into any of these games. Only game I finished was the new doom actually. Am I screwed forever? sucks because I'm getting the itch to come back again.
    You have to find why and I don't think we can answer that for you. You're not the first to experience "game fatigue" and you won't be the last. Some questions you should ask yourself:

Does your life feel fulfilled? Games, even if played moderately, can feel more like a burden if you feel unfulfilled. As an example, I feel better playing games when I know I'm currently achieving an important milestone in my life and that games are more like a reward.

Did WoW used to fill a void in your life? Somewhat related to the previous point, World of Warcraft is one of the only game that is able to mix a sense of accomplishment with entertaining. You know, it's not for nothing that World of Warcraft had the addiction sticker on it. A LOT of people used it to fill a void in their life - love, job, friends, etc. It does not mean that you have an addiction, just that the game is a consequence rather than a cause.

A lot of games on the market, even single players, require a lot of time investment. That's because of the new "always connected" system that tracks everything you do, in part. If you feel even slightly like you could spend your time doing something better, then you will never be able to take some time off to enjoy a game that require investment. Street Fighter, like a lot of arcade games, require little investment.

I'm not saying that's the problem you're experiencing. I'm saying, however, that it can be a cause. Games are fun when they feel rewarding, not when they feel like a waste of time or accomplishment.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

I don't get immersed anymore. I always get that feeling, "this is just a game". No matter how well done the game is. Wow was one of the few that actually did immerse me.
    It probably has to do with player interaction. Have you tried any online multiplayer games? Overwatch, HoTS etc?

I have fully accepted WoW as my Game Overlord. Haven't played much else in 8 years.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MattEffect View Post
    It probably has to do with player interaction. Have you tried any online multiplayer games? Overwatch, HoTS etc?
    lold. Both are lobby games. Where is the immersion sitting in a lobby?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bt4 View Post
    Just like WoW then?
    Everything in WoD, apart from the initial 10h of leveling and Mythic raiding is a fucking idiotic lobby queue system.

Quote Originally Posted by bt4 View Post
    I don't think the problem is immersion. I think he enjoys a multiplayer setting.

Deleted
    it is because of society moving faster than we can consume it. We consume only bits of it and are already looking for the next bite although we haven't even started to chew, let alone digest, the previous bite.

Best thing to do is disconnect and decelerate. Especially from social media.

This has been an issue for me long before WoW came akong. PSOne days are when it started for me, after that my game library of console and pc games grow and my list of finished games shrinks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe you have a point, but I think it's also the mimicking, and lack of originality. I kind of feel like I've been playing the same game the last two generations with some tweaks, and a different cover.
    Then its definitely a "you" problem. If you can't find interesting and innovative games nowadays, you aren't looking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Happens to everyone. You can't control it but it will fix itself eventually. Play a game whenever you get an itch for it and you'll be fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just like WoW then?
    Everything in WoD, apart from the initial 10h of leveling and Mythic raiding is a fucking idiotic lobby queue system.
    "Everything"
    literally is only a queue for 5 mans, non rated pvp and lfr
    OT: You're just burning out a bit, take a break and the urge will come back. If not, maybe you've outgrown games?

I made a thread a few weeks ago called "I still have never played Skyrim". I haven't. I haven't played about 30 games I purchased over the course of the last 10 years. I only play Blizzard games.

Say what you want about Blizzard, but their level of polish and quality has sort of made me a bit of a video game snob. I couldn't get into GW2 or ESO as much as WoW because their UI design and animations lacked that perfect feel that I've become accustomed to with Blizzard's stuff.

The Diablo 3 UI might be the best UI ever designed in the video game industry. Their animations in WoW have such an attention to detail, no other game come close. For example, when I started playing GW2 and ESO, there was something "off" about the character animations, they didn't feel attached to the ground or like floated or something. It broke a bit of immersion. I studied WoW's animations out of curiosity and being an artist I just pay extra attention to that shit... WoW's characters do this very subtle jerk when their feet hit the ground, with a bit of bodily weight shifting as it does in real life when you walk. The other games don't.

It's that near perfectionism that I just can't play anything else anymore unless it has that level of love put into it.

It's sort of like when I drank Miller Light my whole childhood when I was experimenting with drinking, but the moment I started drinking more sophisticated stuff like particular microbrews and IPAs... I just could never go back.

Yeah I'm currently struggling to play Mafia 2, Dishonored and Bioshock Infinite. I also tried The Witcher 2, Dark Souls 1 & 2, but none of these even lasted longer than 1 hour.

I like all of the games, but I've become so used to the online aspect in games, that a single player experience is just really hard to appreciate right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh fuck off.

Honestly, people watch TV every evening.... we don't assume they're addicted. People will watch a sports game for 3 hours at a shot - we don't call them addicted. And those are PASSIVE activities. Games are interactive at least.

Seriously, what do you do after you come home, eat dinner, etc? Stare at the walls? Sure, if you have kids, you play with them, help them with home work... but some of us don't have kids. So we pop on Netflix, perhaps play WoW or another game, etc.