Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    That's a very interesting question. I think that classes should be combined in pairs or triplets that you can choose from at level, say, 10, and be able to respec to them with a certain cooldown.
    Unfortunately, I don't think it will happen any time soon.
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    maybe dont be a prick to somone who wanted to comment on your thread?
    My response was not to be a jackass.

My response was based on the fact that I used the High Elf comment as an offhand joke, and that topic was literally the first response even though the topic I posted for discussion was about something else. I have seen where High Elf threads go, and so of course I attempted to shut it down immediately. I regret using the High Elf reference in the initial post as some of the responses have been based around that topic. So much for my attempts at humour.

I do not regret asking that High Elf replies not be posted, as they would very likely ruin this thread when it was not intended to do so. I would remove that initial reference if it were not for the fact that some of the replies in this thread would therefore be out of context as a result.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    I think they will expand upon the bodyguard idea so that the bodyguard will be able to act as your tank, dps, or healer. That would remove the need to play another class.
    i think the bodyguard system is designed to complement your character in the outside world rather than acting as a replacement for a particular playstyle. It is an area Blizzard could do further work in, but at the risk of ending up with everyone essentially feeling like a pet class a la SWTOR.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Szekely View Post
    World of Warcraft is too old to be built on the idea of having multiple classes and crossover skills on a single character.
    Maybe if they make a new mmo, they'll be sure to take the good ideas of other games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosen View Post
    How would they do it and balance it? I don't see it happening.
    It probably won't happen, but it is an idea. Remember the root problem I feel we have is that while Blizzard introduces a lot of new shinys in each expansion, they ultimately have very little impact on your day to day experience as a WoW player. New races you won't play. New classes you'll barely glance at. Wouldn't you like a big meaningful feature that expands your main character rather than act as a suggestion for our endless army of barely played alts?

As for balance i can't see any balancing issues. If you switched to being a shaman, or a resto shaman from your main, your main classes's abilities would be locked out. You would, for all intents and purposes, be just like any other resto shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    I think it's a fun idea, but would cause a fuckton of problems, many of which would be insurmountable...

That said, if they did put them in game, I would 100% roll prot Paladin enhance shaman cross.

Imagine a prot pally with Truthguard in one hand and the Doomhammer in the other. Maintaining Flametongue and Boulderfist, getting windfury procs and unleashing wolves, while also dropping conc for AoE and using SHoR and LoTP to keep myself alive.

Too much fun.

Maybe they can do that for WoW2?
    Ah this explains it. Maybe my idea wasn't explained well. If so, sorry.

What I mean by cross-classing is that when you switched to an alternative class attached to your main, you would BECOME that class and you would not be your 'Main' class.

So even if you are a Paladin 90% of the time, if you switched to shaman, you would be a Shaman in every respect with no access to any Paladin abilities, weapons or armor.

I think it's a given that there will be a new race.. maybe.

As for the race and what direction the expansion will take, it's impossible to tell as we don't know where the story will take us in legion.

If the Legion is pushed back, i suspect that we'll see the rise of the zandalari, they'll take a broken and shattered azeroth, with its forces diminished, as a chance to strike and vie for control. If this is the direction the next expansion could take, i have no idea what races would fit this theme as newcomers to the Horde and Alliance.

I personally though would love for the next expansion to include a third spec for the demon hunter, an alternate DPS spec to havoc would be nice, as I'm assuming a healer is out of the question, i can't see how it'd work, I'm not sure if a ranged DPS spec would fit with the glaives either. It could work i suppose.
    Last edited by JoshuaNLG; 2016-07-10 at 10:07 PM.

Hopefully something they'll never ever ever waste time and resources on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk Kai View Post
    Ah this explains it. Maybe my idea wasn't explained well. If so, sorry.

What I mean by cross-classing is that when you switched to an alternative class attached to your main, you would BECOME that class and you would not be your 'Main' class.

So even if you are a Paladin 90% of the time, if you switched to shaman, you would be a Shaman in every respect with no access to any Paladin abilities, weapons or armor.
    Ah ok... I thought you meant cross class in the more traditional DnD meaning, as I laid out. What you're talking about is more like class swapping, which I don't think will ever be added as it's a little redundant. You'd need to collect two separate sets of gear/artifacts etc. Might as well just have one of each class.

I think some level of cross class/skill swapping could be fun though.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

I think it would be awesome if Blizzard would steal from SquareEnix and allow you to level multiple classes on the same character.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Ah ok... I thought you meant cross class in the more traditional DnD meaning, as I laid out. What you're talking about is more like class swapping, which I don't think will ever be added as it's a little redundant. You'd need to collect two separate sets of gear/artifacts etc. Might as well just have one of each class.

I think some level of cross class/skill swapping could be fun though.
    i agree that switching to an entire class would be redundant in WoW. But I think there is merit in allowing our existing classes to be able to switch to a single spec of another class. It would allow character customization and allow you to try something new on your main.

And if you wanted to play the entire class you could always play an alt.

Honestly, I hope not. I think if we had cross-classing, we'd wind up having too many buttons to press with too few of them actually having an impact.
    That, and I don't want to become Med'an.

I was thinking of something like this for a while, especially for classes like dark rangers and such who are essentially necromancers crossed with hunters.

What i think it boiled down to was splitting all classes to their bare bones and going from their

There would be base classes such as rogue, fighter, warrior, ranger (archer), priest (holy), mage (elemental, arcane), druid (nature magic) and warlock (shadow, necromancy, demonic)

Next i think you start recreating some of the other classes/specs by combining the other specs.

For instance:

Priest + warlock = shadow priest (as a shadow priest main i hate to even suggest that)

druid + rogue = feral
    druid + warrior = guardian
    druid + mage = boomkin

Warrior + mage = battle mage
    Warrior + priest = paladin

fighter + rogue = outlaw
    fighter + priest = monk (traditional)
    fighter + warlock = demon hunter

mage + warlock = destruction (think kael'thas)

warlock + warrior = death knight
    warlock + ranger = dark ranger
    warlock + rogue = subtlety (new sub uses a lot of shadow magic)

fighter + mage = enhance shaman

druid + ranger = beast master

I think starting as a bare bones class, then adding in other once you perhaps hit level 40, like, level 1-40 as say a warrior, then lock in your secondary class, say priest, and choose one of the new specs, in this case paladin specs.

I think the system has a lot of potential, but becomes rather muddied when certain combinations could produce different results, particularly mage + anything if they are to represent all magic, or perhaps you may just want a single type of magic such as frost DKs, or warlocks if they are to cover demonic, undeath and void magic, or even paladins if you want the holy warrior fantasy but want healing, tanking and DPS. You could just add in a bunch of elemental specific specs, but i think that would just become a nightmare to balance.

Actually this could be fixed quite well by having 2 specs for each base class, priest = holy heals, holy dps, warrior = plate tank, plate dps, paladin could produce any combination of those 4 specs, so priest dps + warrior dps = retribution.

overall, i must state that this wouldnt be able to be ported in to the current game as is, it would require completely new foundations before bringing it in. It would be a very complex system that would seem very flexible, and it would allow players to fulfill many class fantasies, but it would be really frikkin hard to balance.

Its one thing to add in different themes, but with talent trees, rotations, spec/class mechanics and so on, it could be quite difficult to actually implement with the same depth the current system has.

more abilities doesnt necessarily make the game more fun to play. Take rift for example, you can combine 3/12 (or something) specs to invent your own class, which seems really cool, but to remain balanced the abilities are really just recolored versions of each other, and stacking multiple resources feels clunky while rotations are brain dead simple. the restricted nature of WoW actually fosters much more interesting gameplay in my opinion

overall, i love the idea, especially when most of the hero units in warcraft 3 were combinations of other classes in wow, but i think it would need MASSIVE game overhauls or something to think of for WoW II

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Hopefully something they'll never ever ever waste time and resources on.
    That's too bad as its one of the best part of FFXIV (currently working on my 5th class on my catgirl) and not having to worry about rep/gear too much anyway), currency, etc on alts is s a wonderful thing. As for it working in WoW, no, the engine is too bloated as is and there are too many specs and the what not to make it work right without having to do some actual class down-scaling proper to make them all fit.

Now what Blizzard should do is BoA gear for all gear that drops. All of the things they copy from Diablo into WoW since 2004, that is one of the best ones they keep ignoring that would actually be a decent time saver for alt gearing. Unfortunately raiding and overall pettiness of some players is always going to keep this from happening proper but I hope Blizzard tries a stab at it anyway at some point down the road.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!