Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nazrark View Post
    You should hear how Jeff O'Neil and his team mates talk about JFJ. Constantly torching him for all his stupid choices.
    Domi knew from day one that JFJ was bad business. I guess when he got hired, he wanted to meet with Domi and Sundin prior to free agency and discuss the kinds of players that would fit their team. Apparently he didn't sign anyone that they had suggested, and wound up signing bums who destroyed the team internally.

15+ Year Old Account
    You read Tie Domi's book?!

If there weren't any other books left on this planet, I still might skip that one. Really.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Bernier traded to Anaheim for conditional pick next year.
    What's the condition you ask? Lou doesn't want you to know yet.
    What round would the pick be in? Lou doesn't want you to know yet.
    Was there any salary retention? Lou doesn't want you to know yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, for anyone who hasn't seen it yet: https://twitter.com/kristen_shilton/...30474623508480

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    You read Tie Domi's book?!

If there weren't any other books left on this planet, I still might skip that one. Really.
    You'd be surprised, it wasn't a bad book. A better read than the Silmarillion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    You'd be surprised, it wasn't a bad book. A better read than the Silmarillion.
    Well yeah, they don't write it. They just tell their life story to someone and that person writes it for them. They get shared writing credit and payment for it. If and when Bobby Mac decides to write about all the things he has seen in his life. I will buy that book and read it. Just to see what he hasn't told anyone. Even then there are things that he will take to the grave.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well yeah, they don't write it. They just tell their life story to someone and that person writes it for them. They get shared writing credit and payment for it. If and when Bobby Mac decides to write about all the things he has seen in his life. I will buy that book and read it. Just to see what he hasn't told anyone. Even then there are things that he will take to the grave.
    Jim Lang actually was involved in it, he was a long time radio guy in Toronto on the Fan 590. I am aware of how books get written, but Domi in particular, is smarter than he was ever given credit for. Still, he has some good stories to tell, and some of it was tragic and some not so much. I guess it's getting to the end of an era where what hockey players do outside of the game isn't really private due to the social media thing, and guys like him are a dying breed of an older way of thinking in the NHL. While I don't really have a problem with the game evolving, and getting rid of the whole goon ideology is good for the game, I still wish the game had the physicality that was the older style of hockey. That sort of thing is what makes the game more exciting, to me Domi was one of the last guys to ever be a true grit player, I don't see that anymore in the NHL tbh.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Greeney View Post
    Bernier traded to Anaheim for conditional pick next year.
    What's the condition you ask? Lou doesn't want you to know yet.
    What round would the pick be in? Lou doesn't want you to know yet.
    Was there any salary retention? Lou doesn't want you to know yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, for anyone who hasn't seen it yet: https://twitter.com/kristen_shilton/...30474623508480
    Marner is looking pretty good, and well, Matthews is pretty much a given as to how good he will be. Really looking forward to seeing these kids play this year.

10+ Year Old Account
    John Scott and George Laroque are examples of fighters who are intelligent people. They knew what they had to do to get paid.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    John Scott was a fucking monkey, as was Laraque. Neither of them had any hockey skills

10+ Year Old Account
    John Scott was a fucking monkey, as was Laraque. Neither of them had any hockey skills
    Yet John Scott has an engineering degree. They realized why they were there in the league and excelled at what they did. John Scott has said he's waiting to see if he gets a deal from a team. If he doesn't he will be joining TSN. He's a smart guy, played his role to support his family. I would definitely take 700k a year to dummy other people.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yet John Scott has an engineering degree. They realized why they were there in the league and excelled at what they did. John Scott has said he's waiting to see if he gets a deal from a team. If he doesn't he will be joining TSN. He's a smart guy, played his role to support his family. I would definitely take 700k a year to dummy other people.
    TSN hires just about anyone, which is why I can't stand watching their broadcasts. Anyone who hires blatant trolls like Steve Simmons. At least CBC got off their asses and sacked Glen Healy because he is an incompetent boob who was bringing down their ratings because no one wanted to listen to his stupid worthless commentary. Apparently TSN hasn't learned their lesson and gotten rid of idiots like Simmons.

And Tie Domi was doing business projects on the side when he was starting out as a pro in order to make extra money and to keep his mind off the game and fighting. Most athletes these days are making use of their education and getting degrees though, that wasn't commonplace among NHL players 25 years ago.

One of my cousins who played in the NHL back in the 80s and 90s had a business degree and now he runs an agency for players who want to represent themselves instead of hiring an agent to do the contract negotiations.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2016-07-10 at 01:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then we can agree that NHL players are by far the superior players in intelligence. As compared to the other big 4 sports.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then we can agree that NHL players are by far the superior players in intelligence. As compared to the other big 4 sports.
    Probably because they have to stretch less money further.

Is it preseason yet? Fuuuuuuuuck.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Probably because they have to stretch less money further.
    If an athlete can't stretch out 5-7 million a year, there is no hope for them with their finances.

If an athlete can't stretch out 5-7 million a year, there is no hope for them with their finances.
    and yet there's enough NBA and NFL players who go flat broke to fill another hall of fame. lol
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    and yet there's enough NBA and NFL players who go flat broke to fill another hall of fame. lol
    This just in, people are stupid. In other news, water is wet. More at 11 :P

Anyway, people who toss away their money are stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would like to think of it as an American issue where they don't really plan for the future. Because as athletes it is all now now now. But there are plenty of Canadian players who went broke.

I feel bad for Jack Johnson because his parents fucked him over pretty good. A lot of athletes sign over their power of attorney to a parent or someone they feel they can trust. It burns them badly when that person takes out insane debt with someone else's money. Then that athlete is left to have to pay it back because the person who ran it up can't pay it back.

The NHL is pretty good about getting people to great finance people. They have a NHLPA associated firm that helps them out initially. The sport itself isn't actually cheap, it's rather expensive to play. So there are less players from a lower income background.

As far as I know. It isn't subsidized the same way Baseball, Basketball, Soccer and Football are for children.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    It'd be so easy to burn that money as a 21 year old kid though. Even as a 26 year old when I have excess spending money I'm retarded with my money. I coulden't imagine being a pro hockey player and making 5+m a year lol. I guess Shaq blew his entire rookie signing bonus in 24 hours too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    It'd be so easy to burn that money as a 21 year old kid though. Even as a 26 year old when I have excess spending money I'm retarded with my money. I coulden't imagine being a pro hockey player and making 5+m a year lol. I guess Shaq blew his entire rookie signing bonus in 24 hours too.
    Shaq blew that money before he signed. If you saw what he rolled up in for draft day.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Is it preseason yet? Fuuuuuuuuck.
    For real. This is like the worst stretch of summer, too. No baseball, NFL isn't worth following for another month or so, NHL news has usually just dried up from July 1st, the NBA is... not something I'm interested in.