Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question Best 1070 on the market?

Heya!

I've been browsing through reviews on the new GTX 1070 aftermarket solutions and ... there aren't many?

So far I've seen major contenders to be:
    Gigabyte G1 Gaming -> problem here is EVERYONE thinks the cooler shroud is made of cheap plastic, giving off a bad vibe from the start
    Asus Strix ROG Edtion -> I've noticed some custom PCB rumors, it's supposedly better to have?

I also see MSI Extreme and EVGA SC, making me even more confused.

Has anybody made this choice already? Which one do you think is best?
    Intel i7-10700k | ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F GAMING
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2080 Ti | 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400Mhz
    A-Data SSD SP920 256GB | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm | NZXT Kraken x62
    Fractal Design Define R6 TG | be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 650W | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q
    Razer: Blackwidow Elite | Basilisk Ultimate | Nari Ultimate| Firefly | NZXT Hue+

Got myself an MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X.

Quote Originally Posted by Azurenys View Post
    Heya!

I've been browsing through reviews on the new GTX 1070 aftermarket solutions and ... there aren't many?

So far I've seen major contenders to be:
    Gigabyte G1 Gaming -> problem here is EVERYONE thinks the cooler shroud is made of cheap plastic, giving off a bad vibe from the start
    Asus Strix ROG Edtion -> I've noticed some custom PCB rumors, it's supposedly better to have?

I also see MSI Extreme and EVGA SC, making me even more confused.

Has anybody made this choice already? Which one do you think is best?
    I went with MSI because my case is black and red, my mobo is black and red, my ram is black and red, and now my graphics card is black and red.

It really doesn't matter which one you get, the only thing that really differentiates between them is the cooler. The MSI card has a decent cooler, I'm sure others do too but they aren't black and red.

I purchased a MSI 1070 Gaming X a week ago and so far so good. I chose MSI because my two previous cards (560ti and 770) were also MSI and they worked flawlessly.
    I don't know if it's the case any longer but their coolers used to have the reputation of being among the best on the market.
    Strength Determination Merciless Forever

Armory

Hmm, so everyone so far has an MSI, that's weird.

I've read that models from lower-tier brands like Gainward are better, is there any truth to that? How can it be possible for them to be more reliable than brands like Gigabyte and Asus?
    Intel i7-10700k | ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F GAMING
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2080 Ti | 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400Mhz
    A-Data SSD SP920 256GB | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm | NZXT Kraken x62
    Fractal Design Define R6 TG | be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 650W | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q
    Razer: Blackwidow Elite | Basilisk Ultimate | Nari Ultimate| Firefly | NZXT Hue+

I've read that models from lower-tier brands like Gainward are better, is there any truth to that? How can it be possible for them to be more reliable than brands like Gigabyte and Asus?
    Gainward are known for their watercooling solutions for videocards. Can't say their air cooling solutions are anything special though.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Gainward are known for their watercooling solutions for videocards. Can't say their air cooling solutions are anything special though.
    They seem to have the best overclocking cards atm.. And with GPU boost 3.0 that directly makes their 1070 and 1080 the fastest of the bunch by quite a bit. Granted the cooler is massive almost 3 slot thick.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    They seem to have the best overclocking cards atm.. And with GPU boost 3.0 that directly makes their 1070 and 1080 the fastest of the bunch by quite a bit. Granted the cooler is massive almost 3 slot thick.
    GPU Boost is not a Gainward feature do you realize that right? All Pascal cards have it. And factory overclocking honestly doesnt mean jack shit, it's always minimal when compared to the overclock you can do yourself in a case with good airflow even without any modifications.

GPU Boost is not a Gainward feature do you realize that right? All Pascal cards have it. And factory overclocking honestly doesnt mean jack shit, it's always minimal when compared to the overclock you can do yourself in a case with good airflow even without any modifications.
    Great.. But not what I meant.

They overclock further than other cards on average from what we've seen. And with how GPU boost 3.0 works, effectively overclocking for you, it results their cards to have the highest performance of all other 10 series cards at the moment, without you touching their settings.

Great.. But not what I meant.

They overclock further than other cards on average from what we've seen. And with how GPU boost 3.0 works, effectively overclocking for you, it results their cards to have the highest performance of all other 10 series cards at the moment, without you touching their settings.
    Links please? I havent found anything.

I have the Gigabyte G1 Gaming and I'm pretty happy with it. The performance is incredible but I guess I would say the same with any other model.

Links please? I havent found anything.
    OC3D review

Hardware unboxed
    although a 1080 review, still backs OC3D claims.

Also others have reported it overclocking like a beast. Thought mostly forum posts for now.

Deleted

They are not lower tier brands, they just don't do much marketing in the EU/US. All you mainly see over here is MSI, Gigabyte, Asus, Sapphire and Evga the most I think. The coolers of Palit/Gainward are usually 2,5 slots, so if you want to SLI that might be a concern. Another plus of the Palit/gainward, they can be a bit cheaper than the "big" brands. You do pay for the name after all.

Here is a test for different 1080 coolers, they are pretty much the same for the 1070. Yes it is in German, but you should be fine with reading the graphs
    In that test the gainward/palit cards performed the best. Cards stayed the coolest and were silent.

I myself have an Palit Jetstream 1070 and I love it! Performs like a champ and is whisper silent. Under full load fans only spin up to about 30% and the card stays below 70 degrees celcius. OC is at 2050 on the core during gaming.

So my advice would be, look for a Palit Jetstream/Gamerock or Gainward Phoenix card. If you want to go for a "name" brand, I would probably pick the MSI.

MSI one is godly Most people I know run that one,

Where do you find a Gainward or Palit in the US? Can't find any on Newegg or Amazon and google doesn't bring up much.

Quote Originally Posted by FalcFalcFalc View Post
    Where do you find a Gainward or Palit in the US? Can't find any on Newegg or Amazon and google doesn't bring up much.
    They are usually don't reach the US due to them being "cheap" and shipping to US would increase EU prices too.

Deleted
    I have the Gaming G1 1070.. Sure, the cooler shroud is plastic and feels "cheap" but it also takes away some weight so the card doesn't sag. I think it's a great card! And it's dead silent until you let it flex its muscles, then it can get quite loud but then you can just make your own fan-curve and it's quiet again

They are usually don't reach the US due to them being "cheap" and shipping to US would increase EU prices too.
    Ah, okay. So I guess I'm SOL then? Or is there any outlet that might have some in stock? I'm very intrigued by those cards.

Quote Originally Posted by FalcFalcFalc View Post
    Ah, okay. So I guess I'm SOL then? Or is there any outlet that might have some in stock? I'm very intrigued by those cards.
    There is no US distributor for them.. So they probably aren't worth the hazzle, you would have to import them from Taiwan to have any hope of them being anywhere resonable in pricing.

OC3D review

Hardware unboxed
    although a 1080 review, still backs OC3D claims.

Also others have reported it overclocking like a beast. Thought mostly forum posts for now.
    And right there is a guy in comment who owns the card and says that his experience is very different. I've seen those kind of tricks when Asus enter the GPU market, and it worked for them.