Thread: UEFA Euro 2016

Deleted
    Have to laugh though.

Portuguese fans lauding it up by essentially doing a 'Greece'.

Moaning & whining about it for 12yrs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Hrs talking about Campbell's disallowed goal mate.
    Pretty sure if you watch the comments the people are bashing Greece for winning the 2004 Euro as Campbells disallowed goal against England did not change the fact that portugal still won.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slenderman View Post
    Have to laugh though.

Portuguese fans lauding it up by essentially doing a 'Greece'.

Moaning & whining about it for 12yrs.
    How is this at all comparable? Greece did not tie 6 matches in a row and got the cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Because at Barca, that had nothing to do with having some of the best players in the world; Busquets, Iniesta, and Messi? And how he was so successful in the Champion' League with Bayern Munich? He had one competitor for only 2 of his seasons in the Bundesliga. He's going to find the Premiere League a whole new experience.
    He still put Bayern on another level and cemented their spot as one of the best three clubs in the world by dominating the league and reaching the semis thrice. Winning tournaments like the Champions League always requires that little bit of extra luck. Bayern easily could have gone out in the last 16 in 2013. Barca easily could have lost against Chelsea in 2009. No luck, no trophy. Hence, why Portugal is celebrating now. They just had every bit of luck in the world you need by winning two pens and scoring twice in extra time.

Still, possession football dominated these last 8 years and it will keep on doing that because it's just a superior strategy, especially in a league context where luck plays less of a role.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    It helps, but it's not the end all. Shit, you're cheering how Portugal just won the Euros by playing without the ball but ranting on how it's the most important thing?
    Obviously, I'm just happy for Ronnie and dislike France. Doesn't mean I can't see how lucky they got in this tournament.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sahlamuhla View Post
    Pretty sure if you watch the comments the people are bashing Greece for winning the 2004 Euro as Campbells disallowed goal against England did not change the fact that portugal still won.

- - - Updated - - -

How is this at all comparable? Greece did not tie 6 matches in a row and got the cup.
    Yes, but northern is complaining about the farce that was Campbell's disallowed goal. Northern didn't care a jot how people win things.
    Why would he not cheer Portugal because Greece won it in 2004?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GiefEpixe View Post
    He still put Bayern on another level and cemented their spot as one of the best three clubs in the world by dominating the league and reaching the semis thrice. Winning tournaments like the Champions League always requires that little bit of extra luck. Bayern easily could have gone out in the last 16 in 2013. Barca easily could have lost against Chelsea in 2009. No luck, no trophy. Hence, why Portugal is celebrating now. They just had every bit of luck in the world you need by winning two pens and scoring twice in extra time.
    You say this like Bayern weren't already there... They very much were, they owe as much, if not more to their German dominance to their budget and just buying their closest rivals best players than they do Pep. He did not progress them at all on the European stage.

Still, possession football dominated these last 8 years and it will keep on doing that because it's just a superior strategy, especially in a league context where luck plays less of a role.
    Not saying it's in any way bad, it's just no the only way. It's served Atléti well for a number of years, just as it has arguably for Chelsea and a number of other sides. The best way is to clearly be able to do both; something LVG's United could not, and something I've yet to be convinced of Pep's teams to be able to do.

Deleted

- - - Updated - - -

It's probably more ironic when you consider Portugal finished 3rd in their group.

Plus all the headlines "Ronaldo's Portugal wins!!"

Fuck sake, did the journalists watch the same game as me?

Portugal were better & cohesive when Quaresma came on.

Deleted
    It's probably more ironic when you consider Portugal finished 3rd in their group.

Wait I did not watch the group stage that much... did they change how the rules work??
    A team that ranks 3rd in a group can move on to knockout stage??

10+ Year Old Account

Very disrespectful if that's the headlines, reminds me of Bale's Wales and such. Both are TEAMS and whilst Bale and Ronaldo are their best players, they can't do anything without their teammates, and really, both of them weren't huge players this tournament.

- - - Updated - - -

Wait I did not watch the group stage that much... did they change how the rules work??
    I think it was 2 (not sure on number) teams that finished third progressed, they had better points/results/gd than the other teams that finished third so they went through.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Very disrespectful if that's the headlines, reminds me of Bale's Wales and such. Both are TEAMS and whilst Bale and Ronaldo are their best players, they can't do anything without their teammates, and really, both of them weren't huge players this tournament.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it was 2 (not sure on number) teams that finished third progressed, they had better points/results/gd than the other teams that finished third so they went through.
    Typically on every group the 2 best team would advance unless 2 teams tied for 2nd place in which case statistics and gd were taken into account. Is that how it happened or did they actually have less points in group stage and yet advanced?
    Cause that would be disgusting.

Deleted
    Yes. The reason is simple: They changed the number of participating teams from 16 to 24, which means there are 6 groups with 4 teams each now. For the second phase, they need a certain number of teams: either 8, starting in the quarter finals, or 16, starting one round earlier. They chose the latter: The best 2 of each group go further, and the 4 best teams which finished third.

Griezmann got player of the tournament and Sanches young player of the tournament. Seems about right.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Forsta View Post
    Yes. The reason is simple: They changed the number of participating teams from 16 to 24, which means there are 6 groups with 4 teams each now. For the second phase, they need a certain number of teams: either 8, starting in the quarter finals, or 16, starting one round earlier. They chose the latter: The best 2 of each group go further, and the 4 best teams which finished third.
    Oh ok that makes more sense

10+ Year Old Account
    https://www.facebook.com/F6NTE/video...type=2&theater

"It matters little, it matters little
    If we play poorly or well
    We're taking the trophy
    To our Portugal"

More or less

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    Griezmann got player of the tournament and Sanches young player of the tournament. Seems about right.
    Renato Sanches was the best youngster.

No danger that Griezmann was the best though. Imo Pepe (even though he's a cunt)

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently somewhere whipping Portuguese prisoners

Deleted
    Team of the tournament with no Bale but with Ronaldo?

Give me break.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard Illuminati View Post
    that is a bit silly to be honest.

I think the biggest mistake of that is no Joe Hart, no goalie contributed more towards goals than Hart did.

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    At least we win our games during regular time, while you can only draw and get wins through lucky potshots during extra time and penalties.
    6 draws and 1 win against a severely weakened Wales is no accomplishment at all.
    Errr, their play won an actual trophy which is more than either your or my team managed. I know which position I'd rather be in.