Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by axell View Post
    I like how this thread degenerated into just assuming that all the keys on g2a are fraudulent. I don't have any reason to defend G2A but that's just silly. I doubt even 1% of the number of keys sold daily on G2A were obtained using fraudulent means.Still sucks i guess but as long as the offer working products at a lower price than the competition people( including myself ) will continue to use them happily.
    If it were sub 1% there'd be no reason to allow it to continue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutricul View Post
    I cannot stand the gaming industry in it's current form. Release games that are practically still in beta, patch stuff up after players find bugs, roadmap a giant amount of DLC and Season Pass stuff, ask €60,- for a base game and add about €100 worth of DLC on top if, lure people in with pre-order bonus crap.

I'm glad G2A is around, because if it's offered there for €25 instead of €60 I'd feel a little less soar when a game sucks balls.
    It's funny that you say that, because you're doing the exact reverse by saying this.

Not only are you encouraging studios like Ubisoft/Activision/EA by making them the only ones viable, but you're removing the right to try of a lot of indie studios.

If everyone believed like you do, Witcher would never have happened beyond the first game, as it was a crappy game. Yet, look at Witcher 3 today.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

I've personally bought tons of keys off there and had no problems. I mean, maybe some of the keys I bought haven't been legit - it's possible. But I've had no probs.

Quote Originally Posted by Neglesh View Post
    I've personally bought tons of keys off there and had no problems. I mean, maybe some of the keys I bought haven't been legit - it's possible. But I've had no probs.
    What does that have to do with anything? This isn't a thread about if someone had a issue with the key they got.

This logic makes zero sense, so because you had no issue its ok? Keep robbing that store because you have had no issues.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    What does that have to do with anything? This isn't a thread about if someone had a issue with the key they got.

This logic makes zero sense, so because you had no issue its ok? Keep robbing that store because you have had no issues.
    Why are you so defensive? So many people say they're afraid of buying games off G2A and I'm saying I've had no problems with it.

And I never said it's O.K. Reading comprehension must be hard, eh?

Why are you so defensive? So many people say they're afraid of buying games off G2A and I'm saying I've had no problems with it.

And I never said it's O.K. Reading comprehension must be hard, eh?
    Not being defensive. Just tired of that being the argument that people who support G2A fall back on. It doesn't matter if you have had perfect experience with G2A because that isn't the point of the thread.

I could have perfect experience stealing cars, doesn't make it right to do or ok.

Also never said you did say it was O.K. I am just tired of that being the argument when it matters none.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Not being defensive. Just tired of that being the argument that people who support G2A fall back on. It doesn't matter if you have had perfect experience with G2A because that isn't the point of the thread.

I could have perfect experience stealing cars, doesn't make it right to do or ok.

Also never said you did say it was O.K. I am just tired of that being the argument when it matters none.
    You were clearly implying I was okay with G2A's method of their business haha.

Store A sells the game cheaper than Store B. I'll go with Store A.

You were clearly implying I was okay with G2A's method of their business haha.

Store A sells the game cheaper than Store B. I'll go with Store A.
    If you are willen to buy from store A then you support what store A does.

If you are willen to buy from store A then you support what store A does.
    I guess. But not every key that is sold on G2A is stolen or fraudulent.

I guess. But not every key that is sold on G2A is stolen or fraudulent.
    Never said they was. But G2A allows it to happen and has fuck all for customer or developer protection. You shouldn't have to pay extra to get a basic level of protection that all other stores (In the US at lease) provide.

Also none of the sells on G2A go to developers and they do no background checks at all of there sellers.

Never said they was. But G2A allows it to happen and has fuck all for customer or developer protection. You shouldn't have to pay extra to get a basic level of protection that all other stores (In the US at lease) provide.

Also none of the sells on G2A go to developers and they do no background checks at all of there sellers.
    I suppose you're right. Paying for the G2A protection bonus thing kind of just makes you think, "yeah this is kinda sketchy".

And I would assume you're probably right about that too about background checks / developer consideration.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutricul View Post
    I'd say that lacks proof. And I find it odd you advocate pirating games like that while not knowing how much money eventually ends up at the developers through G2A sales. Just one indie studio complaining doesn't really convince me.

Because I can agree pirating doesn't cost them any money. They just lose out on a possible sale. Meanwhile charge backs DO cost money.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeJoe View Post
    Because I can agree pirating doesn't cost them any money. They just lose out on a possible sale. Meanwhile charge backs DO cost money.
    Well but it doesn't work like that unless 100% of the keys sold there are stolen. So by pirating you give them nothing but don't take anything either. That's guaranteed more or less. Buying a key from G2A is different : Big chance of acting like pirating ( nothing lost nothing gained ) by buying a key obtained in a bundle or as a gift or w/e , a medium/small chance of actually giving some money to the developer indirectly but less than retail (buying a key purchased legit from another cheaper zone.The reseller still purchased the key legit but at a cheaper price) and a very very small chance of buying a key obtained fraudulently( thus costing the developer). I dunno but as a developer i would rather take that 1% ( or whatever, probably even smaller) chance of taking a loss because of chargebacks and get SOME MONEY than to get no money.

But most of this discussions are moot anyway. As I said, as long as they will sell working products at a greatly discounted price versus the competition , it won't matter if they have shitty customer support or that you have to pay extra for protection ( if it's still significantly cheaper than the alternative ) , most people will continue buying their keys happily.

- - - Updated - - -

Plus I feel there is a fair amount of hypocrisy here. This is no different than buying used games from Game or CEX or w/e. The exact same thing can happen there. I've sold or traded in plenty of games at Game.co.uk . Nobody gave me a background check or asked me for anything besides a basic ID . I could have gotten those games anywhere through chargebacks or just flat out stolen them. Heck because of a pricing error at Tesco I managed to buy 10x Uncharted 4 for a few pounds and sold them for a hefty profit. Maybe there is a difference but currently i can't find any difference between buying used games from game or cex or whatever used stores are them and buying them from g2a.

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    So example 1 is about German law, example 2 is just a regular case of 'not going to court, because we made an agreement'. Odds are that similar law will then strike other European countries as well. That assumption can be made. Europe has laws for literally everything after all, I'm sure most of which America does not abide by.

In my earlier example, I explicitly mentioned the moral legality. Because what you deem illegal or what your country or even your union deem illegal, does not mean that something should be illegal or is illegal elsewhere. Illegality is a legal fact. It's either black, or white. Since China seems to disagree with many European laws and we with theirs, it's only illegal in the eye of the beholder. G2A apparently can't be banned by law and therefore it's legal.

While I would personally agree with illegality of reselling HB keys, I would very much disagree with illegality of reselling codes for other regions. It's called business. Back in the days we did it with ships, now we do it through internet. But of course, I am Dutch.
    Are you saying that if there is an island where cannibalism is legal then it's fine? Obviously this is an extreme but I hope you get my point. Just because something is legal in China that doesn't make it right.

Back on topic, I am personally a bit torn. If there isn't some way to restrict this "reselling" of bundled keys then HB and the other companies are just going to introduce single tier keys for everything and that will completely wreck things for people like me who like to give away keys that I don't use on SteamGifts and pick up the odd ones I like from the bundles that I don't buy. It's really unethical to buy a bunch of bundles on HB and then sell off the keys individually. It's also against the terms of service. At the very least, more and more keys are going to get region locked.

On the other hand, I really dislike companies doing regional pricing. It's also unethical. Charing people more just because you can seems dirty. GOG seems to have the best model. One price regardless of where you are in the world. The problem there is that some countries can't afford the western pricing. I suppose the answer on that side is to limit those sales. In other words, you have 2 tiers of keys. Full price keys and region locked keys for the regions that want a discount. If you aren't paying full price for a game in your region then it's not unreasonable to expect those people to have their key region locked.

Lastly I have my pet peeves. People like Microsoft who charge a price because they can, not because it's got anything to do with the cost of making that item.

This sort of thing can break Indie developers. The big companies I have less sympathy for.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    Having to pay $60+ for the base version of a title after using a 20/25% off coupon is what's bullshit let alone having to fork out extra if you're foolish enough to buy season passes and DLC. Maybe once the Canadian dollar stops being a big pile of shit will I consider going back to GMG but, until then, resellers will continue to get my money because of the savings.

I willingly feed the Boogeyman.
    I agree but the problem is that the G2A model doesn't just effect those companies. It effects the smaller indie developers too and probably to a much bigger extent. Personally I have bought from G2A in the past a couple of times but it was never for an Indie or small developer game. On all occasions it was a bigger company that generally rips people off.

Quote Originally Posted by axell View Post
    Plus I feel there is a fair amount of hypocrisy here. This is no different than buying used games from Game or CEX or w/e.
    Not 100%, as those retailers (I'm assuming CEX, at least, never heard of them) are also official retailers for the companies actual products. They make direct purchases of games, peripherals, and other goods from the developers/publishers. So even if there is a secondhand marketplace, they're also directly contributing to the revenue of "first" sales by making their inventory purchase orders. Not to mention digital sales on PC as well and now DLC/digital keys for console (to get in on the growing digital marketplace across the board that's threatening retail).

So while a secondhand market may exist there (that may also be subject to selling stolen games that were sold to the store), they are also directly responsible for much of the success of these companies through their retail sales. G2A can make no such claim as they have no official partnerships with any developer or publisher to sell their games.

Also, it's much harder to unload a few hundred retail copies on a retailer without arousing suspicion than it is to unload digital codes a site like G2A : P

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Not 100%, as those retailers (I'm assuming CEX, at least, never heard of them) are also official retailers for the companies actual products. They make direct purchases of games, peripherals, and other goods from the developers/publishers. So even if there is a secondhand marketplace, they're also directly contributing to the revenue of "first" sales by making their inventory purchase orders. Not to mention digital sales on PC as well and now DLC/digital keys for console (to get in on the growing digital marketplace across the board that's threatening retail).

So while a secondhand market may exist there (that may also be subject to selling stolen games that were sold to the store), they are also directly responsible for much of the success of these companies through their retail sales. G2A can make no such claim as they have no official partnerships with any developer or publisher to sell their games.

Also, it's much harder to unload a few hundred retail copies on a retailer without arousing suspicion than it is to unload digital codes a site like G2A : P
    lol gamestop's computers will auto ban you from trading in, in the entire country if you trade in more then 5 of the same sku let alone a few 100.

You would think why does gamestop give a shit if they're just going to make money off it(G2A logic), well they care because suspicious activity will come back on them. If goods at any gamestop or pawnshop are proven stolen they have to surrender the goods to the law and make nothing off of it. They require a state ID for any trade in transaction and have many other regulations in place to help prevent suspicious activity.

G2A is an absolute joke in comparison.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2016-07-11 at 11:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    lol gamestop's computers will auto ban you from trading in, in the entire country if you trade in more then 5 of the same sku let alone a few 100.

You would think why does gamestop give a shit if they're just going to make money off it(G2A logic), well they care because suspicious activity will come back on them. If goods at any gamestop or pawnshop are proven stolen they have to surrender the goods to the law and make nothing off of it. They require a state ID for any trade in transaction and have many other regulations in place to help prevent suspicious activity.

G2A is an absolute joke in comparison.
    Ah, didn't know that! The last time I traded in a game was probably like 15-20 years ago so didn't know about auto-flagging for trading in multiple copies of the same game/requiring state issued ID. That's good to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Ah, didn't know that! The last time I traded in a game was probably like 15-20 years ago so didn't know about auto-flagging for trading in multiple copies of the same game/requiring state issued ID. That's good to hear.
    To add to this Gamestop now both finger prints and ID scans you anytime you trade a game (Or anything) in.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/gam.../1100-6421436/

While the link says its in Philadelphia its now country wide.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2016-07-12 at 12:15 AM.

To add to this Gamestop now both finger prints and ID scans you anytime you trade a game (Or anything) in.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/gam.../1100-6421436/

While the link says its in Philadelphia its now country wide.
    Would have to have been started recently, because the Gamestop by me didn't print and/or ID me when I traded games in for Overwatch back in May

Quote Originally Posted by BigAssBoy View Post
    Would have to have been started recently, because the Gamestop by me didn't print and/or ID me when I traded games in for Overwatch back in May
    Naw been doing it for a couple years now. Maybe not all stores do it yet or some workers just forget.

I know here in my state (kentucky) every single gamestop I have gone to does it now. There is a couple stores that know me on a first name basis and yet I still get it.