hunter or mage ??

hey guys, im new to game so i want to ask who shall i choose as my main character?

i heard mage rocks and is always the best on meters, is hunter good too or too weak :/ ??

i want to stick to 1 character so help me choose, thank you

15+ Year Old Account
    install the PTR and find out yourself.. as its kinda a personal choice.
    If you want it easy, play either an Arcane mage or a Beastmaster Hunter (imo)

Quote Originally Posted by shade3891 View Post
    cant otherwise would try :/, keep getting errors , but dps wise who stronger???

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by colombo View Post
    cant otherwise would try :/, keep getting errors , but dps wise who stronger???
    ATM the mage puts up higher numbers, but this can change constantly when patches are being released.
    Don't choose an character because of the high damage, choose a character that you find fun to play.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shade3891 View Post
    Those are the hardest specs, easiest are MM and Frost.

If I had to choose between those two, I would have chosen mage. Because blizzard ruined hunters in legion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TOM_RUS View Post
    If I had to choose between those two, I would have chosen mage. Because blizzard ruined hunters in legion.
    They did the same to mages, you might as well go Warlock.

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    They did the same to mages, you might as well go Warlock.
    Really? Haven't heard much complains about mages, while hunter threads are full of negative feedback.
    Last edited by TOM_RUS; 2016-07-11 at 02:59 PM.

A few vocal personalities don't represent the sentiments of the opinion of the total community.

Frost and fire saw the most changes to their mechanics, Arcane least of all.

Frankly, all the classes are simplified, you can make any spec a 4 button attack rotation. Some can even go to 2 button one like unholy DK.

Whatever your fancy, picking a class/spec is going to be a pretty personal choice and once prepatch arrives, you'll be able to make that choice if you can't get on the ptr.

Some posts are especially toxic, especially on the main forums. These can cause you to shy away from something you might actually enjoy. Form your own opinion and act on it.

Oo
    Can't speak for Arcane but BM is by far the easiest Hunter spec.

If you only care about the damage, go mage.

I too want to play ranged dps in Legion and tried a few speccs on the ptr, especially mage, hunter and warlock.
    While I really like MM and dps numbers aren't final yet, I worry about the utility those classes bring to a raid.

Mages can use iceblock and spellsteal to counter a lot of crucial boss mechanics. Warlocks bring health- and soulstones, portals and quite a lot of damage reduction (soul leech) or self heal (Affliction).

What do Hunters bring to the table except raw dps?
    Have I overlooked something?

Deleted
    You think BM is the hardest spec on huntards? Each to their own i guess.

Button #1 Kill Command/Arcane or Sidewinder/Flanking Strike
    Button #2 Dire Beast or Frenzy/Marked Shot/Mongoose Bite
    Button #3 Cobra Shot/Aimed Shot/Explosive Trap
    Button #4 Crows or Barrage/Raptor Strike
    Button #5 Multishot/Carve

Gap #1 Disengage/Harpoon
    Gap #2 AotC

Slow #1 Concussion Shot/Wingclip
    Interrupt #1 Countershot/Muzzle

CC #1 Sleep/Stun/Freezing Trap

Be it that the damage is done over time, instant, casted or if the ability boosts damage or survivability, all the classes pretty much have the same number of buttons to push. There may be 1 or 2 outliers depending on talents you take but in general, the same setup will apply to mage too.

Harder...Easier...is the grass really that much greener? On a macro level, it looks to me that we're all getting the same number of scoops of ice-cream, it's just a question of the flavour which you like best.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Icingdeath View Post
    Button #1 Kill Command/Arcane or Sidewinder/Flanking Strike
    Button #2 Dire Beast or Frenzy/Marked Shot/Mongoose Bite
    Button #3 Cobra Shot/Aimed Shot/Explosive Trap
    Button #4 Crows or Barrage/Raptor Strike
    Button #5 Multishot/Carve

Gap #1 Disengage/Harpoon
    Gap #2 AotC

Slow #1 Concussion Shot/Wingclip
    Interrupt #1 Countershot/Muzzle

CC #1 Sleep/Stun/Freezing Trap

Be it that the damage is done over time, instant, casted or if the ability boosts damage or survivability, all the classes pretty much have the same number of buttons to push. There may be 1 or 2 outliers depending on talents you take but in general, the same setup will apply to mage too.

Harder...Easier...is the grass really that much greener? On a macro level, it looks to me that we're all getting the same number of scoops of ice-cream, it's just a question of the flavour which you like best.
    More or less, but U cant just spam mongoose bites without thinking while BM/MM hasnt got something like that going for them
    I am not saying SV is hard, but BM and MM are just "press whatever lights up" specs

Quote Originally Posted by minath View Post
    I too want to play ranged dps in Legion and tried a few speccs on the ptr, especially mage, hunter and warlock.
    While I really like MM and dps numbers aren't final yet, I worry about the utility those classes bring to a raid.

Mages can use iceblock and spellsteal to counter a lot of crucial boss mechanics. Warlocks bring health- and soulstones, portals and quite a lot of damage reduction (soul leech) or self heal (Affliction).

What do Hunters bring to the table except raw dps?
    Have I overlooked something?
    Hunters have:
    -Aspect of the turtle
    -BM can do full dps while moving, and has zero ramp up time, making it a really good spec for killing low health mobs.
    -Pets that brings a variety of utilites (battle rez, bloodlust etc.)
    -Aoe stun (binding shot), which appears to be useful for mythic+
    -Misdirect, which is also useful for mythic+, when you have the debuff that reduces the threat that reduces the tank's threat.